cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility not working with Windows 10

almaniac
Apprentice

Hi all, 

I just upgraded to Windows 10, and immediatly ran into the problem that is described in this thread about Windows 8:

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Software/Eos-Utility-problem/td-p/1189

After reading that thread I decided to unplug the other USB devices I had in the computer at the time (Garmin Watch, USB key, smart phone) and turn off the camera.  I then turned on the camera and ran the EOS utility and it found my camera and worked correctly.

Clearly this problem is still not resolved, but that simple work-around gets me downloading my pictures again.  There are a lot of other things people tried in the above thread, but I just unplugged the USB devices and was good to go.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK, solved it. Went to the Canon Support site and although there is no updated software for WIN 10, I checked what was available in the Win 8.1 software. There is an "EOS Utility Updater"... this installed "EOS Utility 2" and now it is working just fine.

View solution in original post

200 REPLIES 200

Ok, thanks again Bob.
But... I tend towards the use of a cable. I've had problems in the past switching the card from camera to laptop. After a number of times the card wouldn't function anymore. Bad contacts were the cause. So I stick to leaving the card at rest in the camera..
Everyone his own preferences I'd say 😉

Cees
Assen, the Netherlands

I called Canon Tech support and a representative guided me in downloading a driver that works with my EOS 30D. It wasn't specifically for the EOS 30D; it was for some other kind of camera. But it works fine.

I have not yet tried Windows 10, yet, but I have read in a couple of places what the problem could be. One big difference between Windows 10 and earlier versions is that some versions of Windows do not include the Media Player. It is my understanding that there are some DLL files that are included with Media Player, which the Canon software just may depend upon being available as part of the Operating System.

Check to see if your version of Windows includes the Media Player. Windows 10 versions "N" and "KN" do not include the Media Player. However, all is not lost. The Media Player is available as a separate, and FREE, download from Microsoft. Do a web search for the following... " Media Feature Pack for N and KN versions of Windows 10 ", and you should find a link to a Microsoft web site download page. Make sure that you only download from Microsoft, and only if your Windows 10 lacks the Media Player.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I called Canon tech support and the representative patiently guided me in locating a driver that was not specifically for my 30D but another camera (can't remember which). He cautioned me to not remove the existing driver because the new one would somehow depend on the older one. The graphical interface is different with the new one, but it works quite well. I am happy. I recommend getting Canon technical support to help with installing a driver that works with Windows 10.

My computer is an old 2010 model.  It had Win 7 originally installed, but I upgraded/downloaded to Win 10 a year ago. I immediately ran into EOSU functionality problem. I used one method here that worked - disconnecting all USB devices. Recently, however, after downloading Win 10 updates, EOSU stopped working again. Again, a method suggested in this thread - downloading the corrective patch - helped me. EOSU, now detected as EOSU 2, works!

I'm not a computer savvy guy, so anything that works in my case, is greatly appreciated. Thank you all!

I found at the weekend that EOS Utility 2 has stopped working again when I connected to my EOS450D. When I connect the camera and switch on, it starts up then crashes.

I tried reinstalling but no change.  I dug out an old disc and installed that but lost EOS Utility 3.

So ran the latest utility to get EOS Utility working again as that is the camera used most often.

I will just stick to taking the memory card out of the EOS450D (and EOS400D?) in the hope that one day Canon will get around to fixing this bug but I am not optimistic about that happening.

@Lundavra wrote:

I found at the weekend that EOS Utility 2 has stopped working again when I connected to my EOS450D. When I connect the camera and switch on, it starts up then crashes.

I tried reinstalling but no change.  I dug out an old disc and installed that but lost EOS Utility 3.

So ran the latest utility to get EOS Utility working again as that is the camera used most often.

I will just stick to taking the memory card out of the EOS450D (and EOS400D?) in the hope that one day Canon will get around to fixing this bug but I am not optimistic about that happening.

Millions don't have these problems.  It's no bug.  It's your computer.  Something is either missing or corrupted, most likely your OS.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Lundavra wrote:

Millions don't have these problems.  It's no bug.  It's your computer.  Something is either missing or corrupted, most likely your OS.

As some have pointed out from time to time, there are several versions of Windows 10. Some are configured without certain drivers or utilities needed by the Canon software, and these then have to be separately installed. One rule of thumb is that if you're going to use your computer for serious work, always buy the "Pro" version of the OS.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

But many people here have described the same problem.  It might not be affecting everyone but there is a problem affecting many users.

@Lundavra wrote:

But many people here have described the same problem.  It might not be affecting everyone but there is a problem affecting many users.

Yup, I agree.  Many users are having problems, but only a very small number out of the millions of users.  Mr. Spock might say that "your issues fall within the margin of error."

Again, carefully review your Windows 10 installation.  Make sure that you have the Media Player installed on your system.

Announcements