cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility not working with Windows 10

almaniac
Apprentice

Hi all, 

I just upgraded to Windows 10, and immediatly ran into the problem that is described in this thread about Windows 8:

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Software/Eos-Utility-problem/td-p/1189

After reading that thread I decided to unplug the other USB devices I had in the computer at the time (Garmin Watch, USB key, smart phone) and turn off the camera.  I then turned on the camera and ran the EOS utility and it found my camera and worked correctly.

Clearly this problem is still not resolved, but that simple work-around gets me downloading my pictures again.  There are a lot of other things people tried in the above thread, but I just unplugged the USB devices and was good to go.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK, solved it. Went to the Canon Support site and although there is no updated software for WIN 10, I checked what was available in the Win 8.1 software. There is an "EOS Utility Updater"... this installed "EOS Utility 2" and now it is working just fine.

View solution in original post

200 REPLIES 200

I contacted Canon, they suggested installing EOS Utility 2 for Windows 8 ksd291a_installer.zip then run the Windows 10 updater euw2.14.20a-updater.zip

I have sent this reply to Canon

Thanks for the suggestions.

I uninstalled EOS Utility 2 and 3 then reinstalled the first Windows 8.1 version of Utility 2. This worked OK with my EOS400D.

I then ran the Windows 10 updater and it still worked with the EOS400D.

Then reinstalled EOS Utility 3 for my EOS6D. This worked with the EOS6d but when I tried the EOS400D again it gave me the error message previously seen

I have now installed the Windows 8.1 version of EOS Utility2 and it is working OK with my EOS450D (battery flat on my EOS400D!)

And still working after reinstalling EOS Utility 3, I can also download from my EOS6D.

So I am not going to run the Windows 10 update though might try again if I see a later version released.

HighSierra
Enthusiast
Does it launch automatically when you connect and power on your camera?

>> Does it launch automatically when you connect and power on your camera?

No it doesn't―I'll see if I can find a fix.

Well, it may be that older Canon DSLRs may no longer be supported (like HighSierra's 70D and my 30D). I can't install EOS Utility 3―not even available to me NADA!

Yes you are correct. The 30D isn't listed in the EOS Utility version 2 manual. Have you tried EOS Utility 2.9.0 Updater for Windows. It's listed under Windows Version 7for the 30D.

Bstdel
Apprentice

Try this

in properties 

select the compatibility tab

the click run compatability troubleshooter

after the trouble shooter runs select

fix problems

it cleared all issues with windows 10 upgrade

I was having the same issue.  On the Windows 10 Device manager I had exclamation marks and WPD FileSystem Volume Driver listed.  I have an ASUS motherboard with the ASUS AI Suite installed.  I found that uninstalling the AI+ Charger, USB 3.1 Boost and USB Charger apps solved this problem and I was able to normally connect using the EOS Utility.  It took me a day of trying everything so I hope this info saves someone some time with the same H/W setup and issue.

kumicho
Apprentice

This sucks, it still doesn't work for me either.  Have downloaded the updated drivers, and the ONLY thing that will work is unplugging every other USB device that I have.  

NOT ACCEPTABLE CANON!!

Hello kumicho!

Welcome to the Canon Forum.

The issue you have may be unrelated to EOS Utility. 

1. What camera do you have?
  2. What other USB devices do you have connected that you have to disconnect to get it to work?
  3. When you launch EOS Utility manually with the camera connected and powered on, what happens?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Tomski
Contributor

In the meanwhile I did contact the Canon support.

My question was if they can help me to identify all pieces of code that are installed with the EOS utility (including settings .dll's and registry keys). I asked this because I believe that just uninstalling the Utility does not remove all previously installed pieces of code. Reason for this is that when I install EOS utility again after uninstalling and enter the preferences for saving photo’s the software remembers my old settings. Therefore my conclusion is that not all components of old software get uninstalled and need manual removal.

The answer I did get form support was: we can't help you because we are no software engineers and therefore cannot help you in this case.

My suspicion is Canon (Support) simply does not know enough details about the EOS Utility software to solve this problem.

I have stopped using the EOS utility and also stopped to solve the issue - I have better things to do.

Announcements