cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility not working with Windows 10

almaniac
Apprentice

Hi all, 

I just upgraded to Windows 10, and immediatly ran into the problem that is described in this thread about Windows 8:

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Software/Eos-Utility-problem/td-p/1189

After reading that thread I decided to unplug the other USB devices I had in the computer at the time (Garmin Watch, USB key, smart phone) and turn off the camera.  I then turned on the camera and ran the EOS utility and it found my camera and worked correctly.

Clearly this problem is still not resolved, but that simple work-around gets me downloading my pictures again.  There are a lot of other things people tried in the above thread, but I just unplugged the USB devices and was good to go.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK, solved it. Went to the Canon Support site and although there is no updated software for WIN 10, I checked what was available in the Win 8.1 software. There is an "EOS Utility Updater"... this installed "EOS Utility 2" and now it is working just fine.

View solution in original post

200 REPLIES 200

😂😂😂😂

There should be enough information in this thread for them to figure out the problem.  Smiley Wink

Tomski
Contributor

I think in this we should ask Canon to solve this issue.

Canon has done a bad job with the launcher of EOS Utility 3 - I had trouble getting it work in Windows 7, 8.

But in Windows 10 it is impossible to get it to work.

The solutions described here are workarounds but do not solve the problem.

The real problem is that the EOS utility launcher does not recognize the camera and hence does not start an EOS Utility.

The solutions described here do not solve this issue as the EOS utility launchers functionality is also needed for a Wi-Fi connection of camera and EOS utility.

So far I have only seen that Canon refuses to recognize this issue as a real problem which leads me to the conclusion that it will not be resolved by the one who should resolve it.

I'm pretty disappointed in the lack of responsiveness from Canon to solve this issue.

pausau46
Contributor

EOS Utility only works if I unplug all of my USB devices - unacceptable!

I have uninstalled all Canon software!

On page 6 of the EOS utility Manual Ver 2 it states that on Windows 8 the EOS utility will not launch automatically when the camera is connected and turned on. I assume this would apply to Windows 10 also. 

That has been my experience.

There is a suggestion on the next page on how to (hopefully) fix this. I tried it but it didn't work. YMMV

ATM I start up either the camera first or the EOS utility. When the next one is started (EOS Utility or camera) they connect.

Canon has updated EOS utility to version 3 intended to work with Win 8 and Win 10.

But as described it doesn't work and Canon doesn't seem to be interested to solve this issue and keep its costumers happy.

EOS Utility V3 only supports 1D X, 1D C, 5D Mark III, 6D and 7D Mark II, according to the manual.

Sure and I need it for my 6D

@Tomski Have you tried version 2? It is supposed to support 6D.

@HighSierra Thanks for your thoughts.

It is the EOS Utility Launcher that is not working.

The point is that Canon has to start working on the problem.

There is third party software out there that is working.

But we have payed a lot of money for Canon hard and software - so I think we should ask Canon to get moving.

Announcements