cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility not working with Windows 10

almaniac
Apprentice

Hi all, 

I just upgraded to Windows 10, and immediatly ran into the problem that is described in this thread about Windows 8:

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Software/Eos-Utility-problem/td-p/1189

After reading that thread I decided to unplug the other USB devices I had in the computer at the time (Garmin Watch, USB key, smart phone) and turn off the camera.  I then turned on the camera and ran the EOS utility and it found my camera and worked correctly.

Clearly this problem is still not resolved, but that simple work-around gets me downloading my pictures again.  There are a lot of other things people tried in the above thread, but I just unplugged the USB devices and was good to go.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK, solved it. Went to the Canon Support site and although there is no updated software for WIN 10, I checked what was available in the Win 8.1 software. There is an "EOS Utility Updater"... this installed "EOS Utility 2" and now it is working just fine.

View solution in original post

200 REPLIES 200

How do I change this: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\EOS Utility\EOS Utility.exe" /AutoStartUp" 

Where do I add the "2"?

If you are referring to Downloading the EOS utility updater, I've done that.

the EOS 2 utility is (at least on my laptop) in the folder

:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\EOS Utility\EU2

and is called "EOS Utility 2.exe"

Any shortcuts or startup items should point to this program.

This worked for me 🙂

Hey ceevsg, thanks. That was what was missing. My shortcuts referenced another version of the EOS utility. I wonder if Win 10 upgrade changed the references or if "2" is the version for Win 8 and 10.

I assume that the EOS utility 2 indeed is for windows 10... not sure...

But Canon didn't make any rumour about it. At least it slipped my attention Smiley Wink

@ceesvg wrote:

I assume that the EOS utility 2 indeed is for windows 10... not sure...

But Canon didn't make any rumour about it. At least it slipped my attention Smiley Wink

I sense some misunderstanding in this thread regarding the two current versions (2 and 3) of the EOS Utility. Unfortunately, Canon has not done a good job of clarifying the situation. Old timers like me will probably understand it because we know the history, but I can see why a newcomer would be confused.

EOSU 2 is the more basic version. It supports, I believe, all current EOS cameras and Version 3 of Digital Photo Professional. It runs under both 32- and 64-bit versions of Windows. I use it regularly on computers running Windows 7, 8, and 8.1.

EOSU 3 supports at least the higher-end EOS cameras (check the Canon Web site for details), but not the ones at the bottom end. I believe it used to run only on 64-bit versions of Windows, but they may have introduced a 32-bit version recently. Unlike EOSU 2, EOSU 3 supports Version 4 of Digital Photo Professional. I use it regularly on computers running Windows 7, 8, and 8.1.

Both versions (2 and 3) of EOSU can co-exist on the same computer, and what happens when you invoke EOSU depends on what's installed on your computer. If you invoke EOSU with only Version 2 installed, that's what you'll get. If you invoke EOSU with only Version 3 installed, then that's what you'll get; and if your camera isn't supported, the program will reject the attempt. But if you invoke EOSU with both versions installed, you'll start in Version 3; and if your camera is one that it doesn't support, control is passed to Version 2. To support this behavior, the Version 3 installer includes, by default, installation of Version 2 as well. There's a menu to let you option it off, but you probably won't want to do that unless you're desperately short of disk space and you're pretty sure you'll never want to use EOSU with a camera not supported by Version 3.

Since I've not yet used Windows 10, I can't say for certain how EOSU behaves there. But common sense suggests that it should behave pretty much as it does under Windows 7 and 8.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

It looks like I have the 32bit version of EOS utility and 64bit version of DPP 4 installed. 

I'm going to download 64 bit version of EOS 3 and try it. Will have to DL for EOS 5D as the 70D section on Canon Wevb site only shows EOS utility 2.

DPP 4 supports 70D, hopefully EOS 3 does also.

Actually there are no 64 bit versions of the EOS utility. 

I downloaded and installed the EOS3 utility, after uninstalling EOS utility 2. Everything seems to work as it should. It loads Ver2 when I connect my 70D. I was able to register DPP4 by browsing to the 64bit version and registering it.

Bob,

Many thanks for the clarification.

However, I am using EOS U 2, which wokrs fine for my 600D, just for downloading the CR2 files.

I assume there is no advantage to gain if I'd upgrade to version 3 (?)...since I don't use any other Canon software (but Adobe Lightroom) to maintain the picture files.

@ceesvg wrote:

Bob,

Many thanks for the clarification.

However, I am using EOS U 2, which wokrs fine for my 600D, just for downloading the CR2 files.

I assume there is no advantage to gain if I'd upgrade to version 3 (?)...since I don't use any other Canon software (but Adobe Lightroom) to maintain the picture files.

No, I think you're fine. If there's an advantage to EOSU 3 for just downloading image files, I'm not aware of it. But I use a card reader for that, so I might not know. I use EOSU only for things like synchronizing the time across my cameras and resetting the copyright notice (since I alternate between home and work use). I'd use it to control a camera remotely, but I don't recall that I ever have.

Like many in this forum, I heartily recommend use of a card reader. Not only is it simpler than downloading directly from the camera; it's usually noticeably faster. And it doesn't run down your camera battery. Even a good card reader isn't very expensive, so I consider it a no-brainer.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements