cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility issue - Live view freeze

Corkell
Contributor

Hi. 

I have been using the live view EOS function on my 5D mark iii for years now and I have not had an issue until today. I use this in order to stream and record videos, however after around 15 minutes the live view freezes and crashes. After firing it back up I can no longer access the live view however I still have access to the shutter, ISO and files ect .... I am not sure what seems to be the issue.

Things I have tried so far; 

Reinstall everything

Use EOS 2 and not 3

Taking out the SD card

Running the 5D in photo mode

Running the 5D in video mode

I am currenly out of ideas now. I understand there is an issie with Windows 10 and EOS right now.. might that have something to do with it? I am currently running windows 10.

Any help would be great!

Thanks

24 REPLIES 24

Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition, 3900 MHz
Motherboard Chipset Intel Patsburg X79, Intel Sandy Bridge-E BIOS Version 4901
System Memory 32546Mb  Corsair Dominator GT CMT16GX3M4X2133C9 4 GB x 8

SLI 2 x  Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480  (1536 MB) 

Drive C: Drive #1 - Intel   Raid 0 Volume (212 GB) 2 x OCZ AGT3-25SAT3-120G Agility 3

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Professional OS Version 10.0.15063.0

5D mark IV

CF 64 Gb Lexar udm7 1066x 160mb/s
SD 128Gb ADATA SDXC UHS -I class10

Bios 1.0.3 update to1.0.4 no change

EOS 3.6 update to 3.7

the only change it will transfer more images 15 -25 with SD and 30-45 with CF and before was 5 -15 only

This is what happens transfer 23 and freeze, after that, I need task this in task manager

Sometimes show "the connection was lost" and program close itself

when restart canon utility show busy

the only to way to start this transfer again is task utility program turn OFF and ON camera 2out of 10 will show err 70 on the camera screen

Err 70

Description: A malfunction with the images has been detected.

Resolution: Turn the power off, then remove and re-install the battery. Then turn the power on again.

IMG.jpg 

Does the error still occur if you use a card reader instead of a direct transfer from the camera? If not, that suggests that the problem isn't the computer running out of virtual memory or something similar. It also gives you a workaround while you track down the problem.

I wonder if the problem itself has something to do with the uplink speed - in effect, the image files not being able to get out of the way in time if you're trying to keep shooting. Are you doing the upload via USB or WiFi?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I'm trying to transfer the images from camera to computer using canon utility with USB cable

So I was playing all day and this what I found

Decide to check how it will work on my old laptop and it works perfectly USB 2.0 and WiFi
Then back to computer USB 3.0 and WiFi  not work freezes all the time

Then I change to USB 2.0 and it works  perfectly

First, I disable AI-charger for USB 3.0 then USB 3 boost NO effect back to the previous setting
I update all drivers for motherboard and USB 3.0 and still USB and WiFi  not work

Remote Shooter from PC, file save on hard drive will freeze after few pictures in USB 3.0 and WiFi,

the fastest you click the faster the program freeze

Connect to USB 2.0 works perfectly I can click as fast I can and it will not freeze.

Remote Shooter WiFi connection with iPhone works perfectly I can click as fast I can and it will no freeze

I'm confused I was thinking that the computer program is freezing but it actually looks like that it is the camera freezing every time. I have to turn it Off and On when this happens to make the camera work again

@tcom wrote:

I'm trying to transfer the images from camera to computer using canon utility with USB cable

So I was playing all day and this what I found

Decide to check how it will work on my old laptop and it works perfectly USB 2.0 and WiFi
Then back to computer USB 3.0 and WiFi  not work freezes all the time

Then I change to USB 2.0 and it works  perfectly

First, I disable AI-charger for USB 3.0 then USB 3 boost NO effect back to the previous setting
I update all drivers for motherboard and USB 3.0 and still USB and WiFi  not work

Remote Shooter from PC, file save on hard drive will freeze after few pictures in USB 3.0 and WiFi,

the fastest you click the faster the program freeze

Connect to USB 2.0 works perfectly I can click as fast I can and it will not freeze.

Remote Shooter WiFi connection with iPhone works perfectly I can click as fast I can and it will no freeze

OK, here's the deal. Even some of the high-end cameras can't use EOSU 3. (I don't recall whether the 7D is one of them; I have a couple of 7D's but I don't use them unless I'm doing a 2-camera event. But it's quite possible.) But you don't actually have to worry about that if you do the installation correctly. When you do a full installation of EOSU 3, the installer installs EOSU 2 as well. Then when you call EOSU 3, you enter a control module that looks at your camera and decides whether EOSU 2 or EOSU 3 is appropriate and calls the correct version seamlessly. So what I'd suggest is that you uninstall EOSU completely and then do a complete installation of EOSU 3. That's what I did, and it works perfectly with all my cameras under Windows 10 Pro.

Bob

Try everything EOSU3  Ver 3.5, 3.6, 3.7 remove EOSU2 still not work.

Then I found something else; the pictures will not copy from camera to hard drive in windows explorer when connected to USB 3.0 port It will freeze the same way after few picture transfer.
USB 2.0 no problem
This is very strange I don't recall any problem with USB 3.0 on my computer with any device I connected before.
I will buy tomorrow PCI-e card with USB 3.0 or 3.1 and tested this again

Yeah, looking back at your previous post, it does seem that either your USB 3 cable or the camera's USB 3 port could be the culprit.

Bob

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Yeah, looking back at your previous post, it does seem that either your USB 3 cable or the camera's USB 3 port could be the culprit.

Yup.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Smiley Happy

Problem solved
Purchase $25 Pandex PCI-E Controller Card (USB3.1 External Type A+C, with Internal USB3.0 header connector ) which was nice to connect USB cable from the front of the case.

IMG_3292.JPGIMG_3295.JPG

USB 3.0 works great images are flying to my Hard drive no freezing connects instantly.
Also, test my WiFi and it freezes once at the first time, but the same time there was an update for my Asus RT-AC66U Router so did the update and now it transfers images with no problem.
I will do the test tomorrow with the remote shooter and USB3.1 connection.

@tcom wrote:

Smiley Happy

Problem solved
Purchase $25 Pandex PCI-E Controller Card (USB3.1 External Type A+C, with Internal USB3.0 header connector ) which was nice to connect USB cable from the front of the case.

IMG_3292.JPGIMG_3295.JPG

USB 3.0 works great images are flying to my Hard drive no freezing connects instantly.
Also, test my WiFi and it freezes once at the first time, but the same time there was an update for my Asus RT-AC66U Router so did the update and now it transfers images with no problem.
I will do the test tomorrow with the remote shooter and USB3.1 connection.

"I see!" said the blind carpenter as he picked up his hammer and saw. The evidence has stared us in the face since Friday afternoon. But I was too clueless to pick it up, and you finally beat me to it. The computer is one you built yourself, and the USB-3 port on the motherboard doesn't quite play nice with the camera. The new USB-3 interface works correctly, so the problem went away. Sorry if I led you down a couple of blind alleys.

Bob
Announcements