cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility Not Working with MacOS Sierra

ossian
Contributor

I am using a beta version of the new MacOS Sierra. In the early stages of the beta, the EOS Utility worked fine but in the past 2 releases, it has failed.

I am using a Canon EOS 700D and v2.14 (2.14.10.2) of the utility. I aslo use an iMac 2009.

I have filed a bug report with Apple on this one, but there has been no action on their part yet to sort the issue. In any case, I suspect it may be left to Canon to update their software in line with the OS release.

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced the problem and if Canon were aware of it?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Well, I eventually found a Canon contact point for a software related issue. This is their response:

In response to your enquiry regarding software for your EOS 700D, we regret to inform you that the software for this operating system have not currently been developed.

Canon are due to be working on the development of software updates when the operating system has been officially released and will be available as soon as possible. Unfortunately we do not have a release date.

We therefore advise to consult our download centre, as they will be available to download and install from here, when released. Please find the link to this section below.

http://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_slr/eos_700d.aspx?type=dow...)

So, there we go!

View solution in original post

I honestly can't believe you guys.

I had ignored the last post at the top of this page as it was a waste of time responding. Firstly, it was recommended that I file a Bug Report to Apple. I had already reported in the initial post that I had done that.

I also stated that I am part of the Appleseed programme with a 2 way communicatrion system in place WITH APPLE ENGINEERS to feed back on their seeds. I am not using the public release of the Beta.

I stated that Apple will take no responsibility for 3rd party software which you disagreed with claiming it was Apple's responsibility. My response from Canon aknowledges this.

As for buying Canon's newest product and making sure that software is compatible by investing in a Window's machine? I hope that was a joke!

The software worked for over a year with the Mac OS -through various updates, seeds, betas, whatever! It has only now become unusable. I run more than one partition on this machine and if I need to, I can dive back into the previous version of the OS loaded on another partition. That is inconvenient, but it is an option. Cameras, Mac OS, Photoshop, etc, etc. They have gone together for years and are unlikely to be abandoned by the many photographers now.

I am sorry that I did join this forum. I never expected it to be populated by trolls and fanatics.

Thank you for your help. I have my solution. Subscription to the topic closed!

View solution in original post

58 REPLIES 58

@AndersA wrote:
An update: setting frame counter to 500 exposures seems to work. But if 999 is the limit, why is it even possible to put in higher numbers in utility?

Seeing how you want to shoot shots for a year, i would use a custom file naming convention that incorporated the date.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I spoke with Canon support yesterday, and there is a function in Utility where the program creates a new folder for each day/week or month, which I guess would work. Haven´t tried it yet though, so will get back when tested.

@AndersA wrote:
I spoke with Canon support yesterday, and there is a function in Utility where the program creates a new folder for each day/week or month, which I guess would work. Haven´t tried it yet though, so will get back when tested.

And there's an option in DPP's "Rename" function that causes it to read the date/time of each file and incorporate it into the file's name.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@AndersA wrote:

And there's an option in DPP's "Rename" function that causes it to read the date/time of each file and incorporate it into the file's name.

That was exactly what I had in mind.  I find that renaming feature one of the best reasons to use the EOS Utility to download files.  Normally the files are stored in separate folders, which are named by date.  Downloading files from multiple cameras can  create the occasional name conflict, but the rename function resolves that.  I can rename the files into something more meaningful than an 8 character string that uses a random code for the first 4 characters and a file number for the last 4 characters.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

At the remote camera/computer now, and anything over 999 exposures seems not to work. I set it to 3000 and then it shut down after just two or three shots. The old 5 d mk 2 doesent seem to work with utility 3, so have to run with U2.Maybe a limit to 999 frames on U2, despite Canon saying something else?

I tried my mk3 with 1100 settings on U3 yesterday, which worked flawlessly.

Have any of you guys tried using a 5d mk2 in conjunction with Utility 3? When hooking up my mk2 to my macbook pro and run U3, nothing happen. It seems not to be able to detect the camera. When switching to U2 it work fine. Shooting intervals with more shots than 999 on U3 seems to work fine, so annoying that it wont work on u2.

@AndersA wrote:

Have any of you guys tried using a 5d mk2 in conjunction with Utility 3? When hooking up my mk2 to my macbook pro and run U3, nothing happen. It seems not to be able to detect the camera. When switching to U2 it work fine. Shooting intervals with more shots than 999 on U3 seems to work fine, so annoying that it wont work on u2.

I've never used EOS Utility on a Mac, but I'll tell you how it works in Windows: If EOSU 3 is properly installed from scratch, the installation program will install both EOSU 3 and EOSU 2. Then if you try to use EOSU 3 on a camera that requires EOSU 2, it will automatically switch you to EOSU 2.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Aha. Doesnt seem to switch automaticlly on Mac, but that´s no problem to do manually. But wonder why there seems to be a max frame limit on U2 and not on U3?

FYI - EOS Utility 3.6.11 for Mac OS X was just released on 03/30/17. https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/dslr/eos-7d-mark-ii?tab=dr...
Announcements