cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility Not Working with MacOS Sierra

ossian
Contributor

I am using a beta version of the new MacOS Sierra. In the early stages of the beta, the EOS Utility worked fine but in the past 2 releases, it has failed.

I am using a Canon EOS 700D and v2.14 (2.14.10.2) of the utility. I aslo use an iMac 2009.

I have filed a bug report with Apple on this one, but there has been no action on their part yet to sort the issue. In any case, I suspect it may be left to Canon to update their software in line with the OS release.

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced the problem and if Canon were aware of it?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Well, I eventually found a Canon contact point for a software related issue. This is their response:

In response to your enquiry regarding software for your EOS 700D, we regret to inform you that the software for this operating system have not currently been developed.

Canon are due to be working on the development of software updates when the operating system has been officially released and will be available as soon as possible. Unfortunately we do not have a release date.

We therefore advise to consult our download centre, as they will be available to download and install from here, when released. Please find the link to this section below.

http://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_slr/eos_700d.aspx?type=dow...)

So, there we go!

View solution in original post

I honestly can't believe you guys.

I had ignored the last post at the top of this page as it was a waste of time responding. Firstly, it was recommended that I file a Bug Report to Apple. I had already reported in the initial post that I had done that.

I also stated that I am part of the Appleseed programme with a 2 way communicatrion system in place WITH APPLE ENGINEERS to feed back on their seeds. I am not using the public release of the Beta.

I stated that Apple will take no responsibility for 3rd party software which you disagreed with claiming it was Apple's responsibility. My response from Canon aknowledges this.

As for buying Canon's newest product and making sure that software is compatible by investing in a Window's machine? I hope that was a joke!

The software worked for over a year with the Mac OS -through various updates, seeds, betas, whatever! It has only now become unusable. I run more than one partition on this machine and if I need to, I can dive back into the previous version of the OS loaded on another partition. That is inconvenient, but it is an option. Cameras, Mac OS, Photoshop, etc, etc. They have gone together for years and are unlikely to be abandoned by the many photographers now.

I am sorry that I did join this forum. I never expected it to be populated by trolls and fanatics.

Thank you for your help. I have my solution. Subscription to the topic closed!

View solution in original post

58 REPLIES 58

"Read the initial post again properly. I have reported it to Apple. I have taken other action also to seek advice on Apple forums without success."

Here is my advice.  Go find the web page where you obtained the Beta, and look for a link for "bug reports."  The service department at Apple doesn't know anything about a Beta version Operating System...and they don't care, either.  It's outside of their scope of work.  There are set procedures for reporting bugs when your doing beta testing

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Well, I eventually found a Canon contact point for a software related issue. This is their response:

In response to your enquiry regarding software for your EOS 700D, we regret to inform you that the software for this operating system have not currently been developed.

Canon are due to be working on the development of software updates when the operating system has been officially released and will be available as soon as possible. Unfortunately we do not have a release date.

We therefore advise to consult our download centre, as they will be available to download and install from here, when released. Please find the link to this section below.

http://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_slr/eos_700d.aspx?type=dow...)

So, there we go!

"In response to your enquiry regarding software for your EOS 700D, we regret to inform you that the software for this operating system have not currently been developed.  ....  ....  development of software updates when the operating system has been officially released and will be available as soon as possible. Unfortunately we do not have a release date."

"So, there we go!"

Basically, they told you the same thing that I did.  They have nothing to do with it, YET.  They told you they have nothing available for download, but there will be at a future date, which will be sometime AFTER the official release of Sierra.

@ossian wrote:

So, there we go!

One way to look at it is that if you feel a necessity to buy Canon's newest camera on Day 1, you have to make sure that you're properly equipped to make use of it on Day 1. And maybe that includes buying a Windows computer.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I had ignored the last post at the top of this page as it was a waste of time responding. Firstly, it was recommended that I file a Bug Report to Apple. I had already reported in the initial post that I had done that.

I also stated that I am part of the Appleseed programme with a 2 way communicatrion system in place WITH APPLE ENGINEERS to feed back on their seeds. I am not using the public release of the Beta.

I stated that Apple will take no responsibility for 3rd party software which you disagreed with claiming it was Apple's responsibility. My response from Canon aknowledges this.

As for buying Canon's newest product and making sure that software is compatible by investing in a Window's machine? I hope that was a joke!

The software worked for over a year with the Mac OS -through various updates, seeds, betas, whatever! It has only now become unusable. I run more than one partition on this machine and if I need to, I can dive back into the previous version of the OS loaded on another partition. That is inconvenient, but it is an option. Cameras, Mac OS, Photoshop, etc, etc. They have gone together for years and are unlikely to be abandoned by the many photographers now.

I am sorry that I did join this forum. I never expected it to be populated by trolls and fanatics.

"I had ignored the last post at the top of this page as it was a waste of time responding. Firstly, it was recommended that I file a Bug Report to Apple. I had already reported in the initial post that I had done that."

Wrong.  You said you reported it to their Service department, which has nothing to do with Beta testing.

"I also stated that I am part of the Appleseed programme with a 2 way communicatrion system in place to feed back on their seeds. I am not using the public release of the Beta."

No, you didn't, but good answer, anyway.  You made no mention of that until after several posts.  You just proved my point, that you're barking up the wrong tree.

"I stated that Apple will take no responsibility for 3rd party software which you disagreed with claiming it was Apple's responsibility. My response from Canon aknowledges this."

Wrong, it is Apple's responsibility to work with 3rd parties by keeping them informed of changes and updates..  I stated that Canon takes no responsibility for a Beta version from Apple.  "I suspect it may be left to Canon to update their software in line with the OS release."   Yet, another wrong answer.

"As for buying Canon's newest product and making sure that softwarew is compatible by investing in a Window's machine? I hope that was a joke!

The software worked for over a year with the Mac OS. It has only now become unusable"

Apple is a joke.  They are notorious for breaking the code base of third party developers every time they release a major update.

"I am sorry that I did jopin this forum. I never expected it to be populated by trolls and fanatics."

Have a nice day.  Your mistake was demanding that Canon MUST conform to a Beta release from Apple.  I'll say it again.  You do not understand what Beta release means, nor how the issues reporting process is supposed to work.  Report all of your issues to Apple, you know, the folks you signed up with.

@ossian wrote:

I assure you that it wasn't. But if you choose to regard it as such, I'm fine with that. I personally don't care whether you're ever able to edit another picture.

Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Ok, so Sierra is now officially out. I have installed it on my iMac. Among other things, my EOS utility doesn't work. Any ideas since it's not beta anymore?

1300d, eos utility, Sierra .pngNálam mégis működik!

1300d, eos utility, Sierra .png

Announcements