Canon Community Canon Community
 


Reply
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎09-19-2017

EOS Utility 2 crashes on startup

[ Edited ]

Hi,

 

On my Windows 10 Pro computer, EOS Utility 2 crashes on startup, regardless of camera connected or not.

It has been working without an incident for the past half year, but now this malfunctioning.

 

I have tried uninstalling completely and installing "EOS Utility" from my CD and then upgrading to "EOS Utility 2", but the same happens, EOS Utility 2 crashes.

 

Any suggestions to what I could do?

 

Edit: I have a Canon 1000D (EOS Kiss F / EOS Rebel XS) so EOS Utility 3 is not an option.

 

From eventlog:

------------------------------------------------

- System

- Provider

[ Name] EOS Utility

- EventID 0

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 3

Task 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2017-09-19T07:20:25.672636100Z

EventRecordID 1590

Channel Application

Computer MaiaObs1

Security

- EventData

Configuration system failed to initialize at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.PrepareConfigSystem() at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.RefreshSection(String sectionName) at System.Configuration.ClientSettingsStore.ReadSettings(String sectionName, Boolean isUserScoped) at System.Configuration.LocalFileSettingsProvider.GetPropertyValues(SettingsContext context, SettingsPropertyCollection properties) at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertiesFromProvider(SettingsProvider provider) at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertyValueByName(String propertyName) at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.get_Item(String propertyName) at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.GetPropertyValue(String propertyName) at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.get_Item(String propertyName) at EOSUtility.AppSettings.get_FolderNameSeparator() at EOSUtility.RenamingService.RenamingFolder.updateFolderSeparator() at EOSUtility.RenamingService..ctor() at EOSUtility.RenameCountroller..ctor() at EOSUtility.MainMenu..ctor() at EOSUtility.Program.Main(String[] args)

------------------------------------------------

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 3,736
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: EOS Utility 2 crashes on startup

This is going to sound odd, but I've seen it work.

 

Uninstall EOSU completely; then install the latest version of EOSU 3. Your camera probably can't use that version; but when EOSU 3 is installed, it also installs EOSU 2. Then when you start EOSU 3, it realizes that your camera needs EOSU 2 and sends you there instead. On a Windows 10 machine, that process seems to work better than trying to call up a bare installation of EOSU 2.

 

However, downloading EOSU 3 so that you can install it can present a challenge. If you haven't installed any of the new Canon software (EOSU 3, DPP 4) on the computer from which you're trying to do the download, you'll probably be asked for the serial number of a camera that can use that software. But your camera is so old that it probably can't use EOSU 3, so your serial number may not be accepted. In that case, you may have to call Canon Support to find out how to proceed. But once you get past the download, you should be fine. EOSU 3 needs a 64-bit computer, but I'm pretty sure Windows 10 Pro does as well, so I think it's safe to say that your computer is 64-bit.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎09-19-2017

Re: EOS Utility 2 crashes on startup

Hi Bob,

 

Thanks a lot for your help. Yes - I can not download EOSU3 since I do not have a s/n for teh required camera.

I tried calling support in Denmark, got a kind and helpfull guy that mailed me the following instructions:

 

--------------------------------------------------

Download and install EOS Utility for Windows 8.1:

https://www.canon.dk/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_slr/eos_1000d.aspx?type=soft...

 

Then upgrade with version for Windows 10:

https://www.canon.dk/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_slr/eos_1000d.aspx?type=soft...

Version:1.0 StartHTML:000000247 EndHTML:000002114 StartFragment:000001995 EndFragment:000002082 StartSelection:000001995 EndSelection:000002078 SourceURL:http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/software/message-id/4939

 --------------------------------------------------

 

However the two links above results in identical installers (command line FC verifies that). I mailed back the support but got no answer and now I can not get in touch with them over the phone either...

 

This is really frustrating. Should I try to go to my local Canon dealer and hear if they will download EOSU3 for me?

 

Btw, I only need EOSU in order to be able to see a live view from the camera on my PC. I am an amateur astronomer and use the liveview when focusing my telescope in the observatory. Perhaps there are other ways of getting a liver view from the camera than EOSU?

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 5,462
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: EOS Utility 2 crashes on startup

Let me guess.  You have an ASUS laptop.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎09-19-2017

Re: EOS Utility 2 crashes on startup

No - it's on a HP EliteBook 8460p I am experiencing the trouble.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 3,736
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: EOS Utility 2 crashes on startup


rudibr wrote:

Hi Bob,

 

Thanks a lot for your help. Yes - I can not download EOSU3 since I do not have a s/n for teh required camera.

I tried calling support in Denmark, got a kind and helpfull guy that mailed me the following instructions:

 

--------------------------------------------------

Download and install EOS Utility for Windows 8.1:

https://www.canon.dk/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_slr/eos_1000d.aspx?type=soft...

 

Then upgrade with version for Windows 10:

https://www.canon.dk/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_slr/eos_1000d.aspx?type=soft...

Version:1.0 StartHTML:000000247 EndHTML:000002114 StartFragment:000001995 EndFragment:000002082 StartSelection:000001995 EndSelection:000002078 SourceURL:http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/software/message-id/4939

 --------------------------------------------------

 

However the two links above results in identical installers (command line FC verifies that). I mailed back the support but got no answer and now I can not get in touch with them over the phone either...

 

This is really frustrating. Should I try to go to my local Canon dealer and hear if they will download EOSU3 for me?

 

Btw, I only need EOSU in order to be able to see a live view from the camera on my PC. I am an amateur astronomer and use the liveview when focusing my telescope in the observatory. Perhaps there are other ways of getting a liver view from the camera than EOSU?

 


I can't vouch for what they told you in Denmark; but the way I told you is how I installed EOSU on my Windows 10 Pro computer, so I know it works. You could try calling Canon UK or USA and see if they'll help you with the download. This is one case where I'd think that the usual jurisdictional buck-passing between Canon outposts in different countries wouldn't have to apply, because you're not asking for warranty repairs or something similar.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎09-19-2017

Re: EOS Utility 2 crashes on startup

I’ve found and installed DigiCamControl which works like a charm. It has the live-view function which is the only one I need.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 5,462
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: EOS Utility 2 crashes on startup


rudibr wrote:

No - it's on a HP EliteBook 8460p I am experiencing the trouble.


Well, that's your problem right there.  I doubt if a Windows 8.1 Tablet computer from 2011 meets the hardware specifications to run any of the Canon software.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 3,736
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: EOS Utility 2 crashes on startup


Waddizzle wrote:

rudibr wrote:

No - it's on a HP EliteBook 8460p I am experiencing the trouble.


Well, that's your problem right there.  I doubt if a Windows 8.1 Tablet computer from 2011 meets the hardware specifications to run any of the Canon software.


According to his original post, he's running Windows 10 Pro.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
Honored Contributor
Posts: 5,462
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: EOS Utility 2 crashes on startup


RobertTheFat wrote:

Waddizzle wrote:

rudibr wrote:

No - it's on a HP EliteBook 8460p I am experiencing the trouble.


Well, that's your problem right there.  I doubt if a Windows 8.1 Tablet computer from 2011 meets the hardware specifications to run any of the Canon software.


According to his original post, he's running Windows 10 Pro.


According to HP, it uses an AMD processor and was sold for less than 200 bucks.  The problem is the hardware.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
powered by Lithium

LIKE US on Facebook FOLLOW US on Twitter WATCH US on YouTube CONNECT WITH US on Linkedin WATCH US on Vimeo FOLLOW US on Instagram SHOP CANON at the Canon Online Store
© Canon U.S.A., Inc.   |    Terms of Use   |    Privacy Statement