cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you prefer DPP or Lightroom

John_SD
Whiz

I haven't tried Lightroom, so I cannot comment on its benefits or shotcomings. I am just starting to dip my toes into DPP, and while I am far from conversant about it's intracacies, benefits and quirks, I feel that for now it will be sufficient for my needs. 

A real benefit of DPP, in my view is that it's free -- and it seems robust in its abilities, of which I haven't yet scratched the surface. But so far I like what i see.

Do you guys feel stongly about one product or the other? If so, why? 

56 REPLIES 56

I'm going to buy DxO PhotoLab as well.  My body and several of my lenses are not even supported in LR Perpetual 6.8.x.

LR 6.8.x has a RAW import utility which turns something simple into a multi step process.  Investing in it would be foolish.  DxO is being actively developed..  not that LR isn't, but only the cloud version.  I like to own my software thanks. 

I've already joined their forums and talked to other users as well as folks on their development team.  If you want a complete photo editing solution with 3rd party lens correction support in a perpetual license, PhotoLab is the way to go.  They acquired Nix in December of 2017.  They have included this in the current product as a add-on.  Next month they are releasing an update with 100% integration and a fully updated suite of Nix software in PhotoLab.  This is the direction I'm going in.      

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

If you want a complete photo editing solution with 3rd party lens correction support in a perpetual license, PhotoLab is the way to go.      

Perhaps so, but their GUI is humongous and would require a substantial amount of time to become fluent with it. 

I've looked at it (they have a 30-day trial), and I've tried other products including Gimp, which I do like, but it is slower than I would prefer. I also looked at Luminar, which I like, but which I also found slow. However, I understand the recent updates to the product makes it more efficient.

Here is my plan now. I'm sticking with DPP for the forseeable future. I am hopeful that Adobe takes enough of a beating on their ill-considerd and confusing subscription model to once again offer Lightroom as a "one-time" purchase. From everything I'm reading, a lot of photographers are abandoning ship and searching for a Lightroom replacement that is free of the monthly money-grab. I'd go with Lightroom, but I'm not interested in entering into a lifelong rental situation. 

@John_SD wrote:

@shadowsports wrote:

If you want a complete photo editing solution with 3rd party lens correction support in a perpetual license, PhotoLab is the way to go.      

Perhaps so, but their GUI is humongous and would require a substantial amount of time to become fluent with it. 

I've looked at it (they have a 30-day trial), and I've tried other products including Gimp, which I do like, but it is slower than I would prefer. I also looked at Luminar, which I like, but which I also found slow. However, I understand the recent updates to the product makes it more efficient.

Here is my plan now. I'm sticking with DPP for the forseeable future. I am hopeful that Adobe takes enough of a beating on their ill-considerd and confusing subscription model to once again offer Lightroom as a "one-time" purchase. From everything I'm reading, a lot of photographers are abandoning ship and searching for a Lightroom replacement that is free of the monthly money-grab. I'd go with Lightroom, but I'm not interested in entering into a lifelong rental situation.  

I'm not in any way defending Adobe's "monthly money-grab", but I think you are embarking on a hopeless quest. Note that even before Adobe instituted their subscription model, they made you buy a new version almost every time Canon changed their .CR2 format, which they do for virtually every new camera they release.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"Note that even before Adobe instituted their subscription model, they made you buy a new version almost every time Canon changed their .CR2 format, which they do for virtually every new camera they release."

I didn't realize that, Robert. That is an awful situation and I would want no parts of it. Thank you for the heads-up.

I'm not really sure Bob is correct. A camera Raw update is required for new cameras (not just Canon), but there were/are dot updates of LR that were issued periodically and free that addded new cameras.

But, if a camera came out after a new version was released (i.e. LR4, LR5, LR6) then they did not go backwards.

But its a moot point. They stopped updating LR perpetul with 6.14, and updates to the subscription program are "free".

2018-05-17.png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

I'm not really sure Bob is correct. A camera Raw update is required for new cameras (not just Canon), but there were/are dot updates of LR that were issued periodically and free that addded new cameras.

But, if a camera came out after a new version was released (i.e. LR4, LR5, LR6) then they did not go backwards.

But its a moot point. They stopped updating LR perpetul with 6.14, and updates to the subscription program are "free".

Canon 6D required LR 4

Canon 7D Mk II required LR 5

Canon 5DS required LR 6

For me every time I bought a new camera I had to upgrade my version of Lightroom.

Prior to LR 4, I felt the image quality produced by DPP was so much superior that I didn't use LR.

"For me every time I bought a new camera I had to upgrade my version of Lightroom."

That can happen with most perpetual license products: once version N+1 is issued Version N stops being updated.

My clarification was related to the statement that a new paid version of LR was required every time Canon changed their CR2 format. Many cameras were added during the life cycle of each LR version.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

LR - The current perpetual release doesn't support my equpment. Hence the reason I am going with PhotoLab.  I havent used LR or Photoshop for years.  I do not dispute their being an industry leader.  I liked them both when I used it previously, but I'm not going to rent their software.  I don't care what they deciide to do (remain subscription based or bring the perpetual license back).  This could change, maybe it will.  

If I ever dump my Sigma gear and go "all Canon", I'd stick with stick with DPP. For the time being, I like my Sigma Lenses and the photos I can take with them.  PhotoLab is a cost effective alternative for me regardless of the learning curve.  I'm an IT professional and have to become a "power user" on different types / versions of software all the time.  Its going to solve a problem for me (3rd party lens correction) which I'm lacking in DPP.  Cost to value ratio is there.  So I'm ok with it.  I am also ok with people choosing to stick with LR if it meets their needs.        

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

While the Photolab product itself seemed pretty good from my use of it during the trial period, I found the instructional webinars posted on their site to be horrible. The recording quality sounded like a guy was talking on a cell phone that was periodically breaking up, coupled with the fact that it is a French company, which featured Germans conducting the webinar. Their English skills were terrible and the printed documentation seemed to ramble on also as it attempted to make its points. I quickly determined that I wanted no parts of that. Also, the user interface is overloaded to the gills with umpteen controls with poor documentation. So Photolab was far from my cup of tea. YMMV.

@shadowsports wrote:

LR - The current perpetual release doesn't support my equpment. Hence the reason I am going with PhotoLab.  I havent used LR or Photoshop for years.  I do not dispute their being an industry leader.  I liked them both when I used it previously, but I'm not going to rent their software.  I don't care what they deciide to do (remain subscription based or bring the perpetual license back).  This could change, maybe it will.  

If I ever dump my Sigma gear and go "all Canon", I'd stick with stick with DPP. For the time being, I like my Sigma Lenses and the photos I can take with them.  PhotoLab is a cost effective alternative for me regardless of the learning curve.  I'm an IT professional and have to become a "power user" on different types / versions of software all the time.  Its going to solve a problem for me (3rd party lens correction) which I'm lacking in DPP.  Cost to value ratio is there.  So I'm ok with it.  I am also ok with people choosing to stick with LR if it meets their needs.        

I have LR6 perpetual license, and it supports my 6D2, along with all of the lenses you have listed.  I have them all, except for the Sigma 24-70, which I am sure is supported as well.

What piece is not supported?  The camera’s RAW format?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements