cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Photo Professional "Remote Shooting" not working

loose_canon
Contributor

Digital Photo Professional (4.2.10) "Remote Shooting" will not work at all. All I get is an error message "A compatible version of EOS Utility is not installed". And no further info. Even though EOS Utility IS installed and updated with the latest version from the Canon website (EOS Utility 2.14.20 Updater for Windows

70D; Windows 7 x64

22 REPLIES 22

my canon eos m3 runs with the latest version of canon eos utiliy, but the remote shooting option doesn't show up, so i can't see what my camera sees. Is there a way to fix this, or is it the camera?

@james__hanks wrote:

my canon eos m3 runs with the latest version of canon eos utiliy, but the remote shooting option doesn't show up, so i can't see what my camera sees. Is there a way to fix this, or is it the camera?

Remote shooting is not available on the M3. As you say, it does not even show up as an option.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

1D Mark IV is supported by DPP4, but when I try to download EU3 it says my serial number is from an unsupported camera. Any workaround available?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:
1D Mark IV is supported by DPP4, but when I try to download EU3 it says my serial number is from an unsupported camera. Any workaround available?

You could probably solve your immediate problem by getting it from someone who has already downloaded it. But since Canon seems to be moving towards replacement installation modules in lieu of updates, you could have the same problem again and again. So you'd probably better call Canon and get it straightened out.

I suppose it's conceivable that EOSU 3 really isn't compatible with the 1D4 and that you'd be limited to those features of DPP 4 that don't require EOSU. But that strikes me as far-fetched. More likely it's a listing error on Canon's part. Maybe you're the first 1D4 user who's tried to install that software combination. As Ernie Biggs is fond of pointing out, most 1D4 users probably use Photoshoppe.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks Bob. I'm a Lightroom guy primarily but like to see what DPP can do with some images.

I will contact Canon and see what they say.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Canon response:

I'm afraid EOS Utility 3 does not support the EOS-1D Mark IV. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. You will need to download your images using EOS Utility 2, and then open Digital Photo Professional 4 separately and work with them from there. EOS Utility 3 only supports these models of camera:

EOS REBEL T6s
EOS REBEL T6i
EOS 7D Mark II
EOS-1D X
EOS-1D C
EOS 5D Mark III
EOS 6D
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@jrhoffman75 wrote:
Canon response:

I'm afraid EOS Utility 3 does not support the EOS-1D Mark IV. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. You will need to download your images using EOS Utility 2, and then open Digital Photo Professional 4 separately and work with them from there. EOS Utility 3 only supports these models of camera:

EOS REBEL T6s
EOS REBEL T6i
EOS 7D Mark II
EOS-1D X
EOS-1D C
EOS 5D Mark III
EOS 6D

Well, that's news to me. I had thought that EOSU 3 supported exactly the same cameras as DPP 4. But it does explain one oddity that I noticed the other day: When I opened EOSU 3 to set the time and copyright notice on one of my 7D's, it reverted to EOSU 2, even though the latest release of DPP 4 does support the 7D. Because I always use a card reader and don't use EOSU for downloads or remote shooting, what happened to John never happened to me.

This may be one of those situations that will work itself out over time. When DPP 4 and EOSU 3 first came out, they supported full-frame cameras only. But that restriction has been relaxed a couple of times since. So it's possible that the next release will provide broader support.

I'll be interested to hear Ernie Biggs's reaction if he's reading this thread. I guess he'll either lambaste Canon for dissing the 1D series or reaffirm his contention that DPP is for newbies only.  Smiley Wink

Bob

DPP 4.5 doesn't start the 2.14 utility. It just gives that "A compatible version of EOS Utility is not installed" even if the latest 3.xx is there. If I start the 3.xx it just tells me to "connect an EOS camera", pair it over WIFI/Lan or close.

The 5D Mk2 is an excellent camera and as the latest DPP supports it I'll expect that the utilities will follow!

Regards

I gets even worse...In the Canon "AF Microadjustment Guidebook" while the 1Ds Mk 3 IS able to do this task, the guide wants you to use DPP 4....and for some reason, when you try to use EOSU v3....it brings v 2 right along......

Bummer..

bhill wrote:

I gets even worse...In the Canon "AF Microadjustment Guidebook" while the 1Ds Mk 3 IS able to do this task, the guide wants you to use DPP 4....and for some reason, when you try to use EOSU v3....it brings v 2 right along......

Bummer..

The way it works, which I don't believe Canon has ever explained very clearly, is that when you do a clean installation of the latest version of EOSU 3, it installs both versions (2 and 3) and a control program which selects the version that's appropriate for your camera. Thus they compensate for the fact that not all cameras that can use DPP4 can use EOSU 3.

Bob
Announcements