cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Photo Professional (DPP) 4.5.X is slow (performance)

raviballa
Contributor

I would love to continue to use DPP for its color output. But, where I am struggling with is its slowness to process RAW files. Loading of the RAW files is slow and I cannot tell when my minor corrections are applied to the image (there is no indication of DPP processing my adjustments). The 'Quick Check' of images is good though, without any lag.

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SenJerzy
Contributor
Hi,
Finally we've got the solution - the new version of DPP 4.9 which resolvs the discussed problem.
It is fully discribed on Canon website. And... it works. The speed is improved.
Regards

View solution in original post

88 REPLIES 88

@nelsonsdavis wrote:

Don't think it's a hardware issue. Desktop, intel i4770k, 16 gb ram, 4 tb hard drive, HD7800 series Radeon, asus sabertooth z87, etc, etc.

Program worked fine up till a month ago. 

Have uninstalled and reinstalled. Nada. Uninstalled and installed an older version, nada. I think it's something to do with carbonite, indexing, etc.

Half of the people making complaints such as yours have Asus machines.  

You really want to have an nVidia graphics card, and nothing else.  Make sure that DPP is using the graphics card, and the graphics card is enabled to let DPP use it.

If you are still having issues, then contact Canon Support.  Something has changed, and they might be able to walk you through it.  I would wait until afater the New Year, though.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Okay, let me be more specific. I built this PC 5 years ago. And have been using every version of DPP since with no problems at all (always upgrading to the lastest build of DPP). I've edited well over 100k photos, converting from RAW to JPG with no problems, period. 

So it's not the asus board, nor is it the Radeon card.

I think it is related to, of all things, carbonite.

I paused carbonite, made no difference. Went in to task manager and killed it. Launched DDP4 latest version, and yes, it loaded quickly and seems to be working just fine. I wonder that Carbonite is doing? I will add that I installed carbonite last week and it's still uploading files - aobut 4TBs....and I"m only 40% finished. I'm guessing ti's something to do with the way carbonite is looking at files and indexing/marking them during this upload process? I took at look  in task manager, details for dpp, analyse wait chain - and there seems to be the problem, aI think while DPP was running with carbonite something else was trying to use the space those same chains were using. so it was waiting and waiting. Seems to have something to do with this - A thread waits for a synchronization object from the time it requests it until it has acquired it. A lock is owned by a thread from the time the thread acquires it, until it releases it. 

REally interesting. Killed both programs, dpp and carbonite. STarted dpp, worked fine. Closed it. Started up carbonite, that worked fine. Let it run. Openned dpp, stuck at splash screen. Checked analyse wait chain. Have two threads waiting to use threads being used by another program (too bad it does not say what program, but assuming it's carbonite. 

This is what I'm seeing - dpp4main.exe (pid: 15604) thead:9280. Beneath that is - dpp4main.exe (pid:15604) thread:3368.

Thoughts?

I agree, I doubt this is related to hardware.  This is a software issue, and has nothng to do with the brand of motherboard or GPU.  I am one gen later chipset and same Devil's Canyon 4th gen series CPU

Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H\Corsair RM850w, 4790K, 16GB Vengeance, GTX970 FTW SC 4GB ACX 2.0, 850 Pro's RAID0 (boot), Black 1TB, Win10 Pro, Obsidian 450D - 1709 Fall Creators Update

You have more than enough processing power, memory and graphics.  I don't use carbonite, but have a ful understanding of how it works.  If you are performing the inital back up, there is a considerable amount of load and overhead placed on the system, regardless what Crbonite might say about it runnning unobtrusively in the background.  Note: it might be possible for you to give the background process a lower priority.  Once the initial back up completes, the software then makes differentail back ups or snapshots of the protected disk, files or directories. 

Things that might help reduce overhead and improve system performance

-Give cabonite background process lowest priority (might be as easy as right-clicking on its icon in the system tray) and select from context menu.

-Limit the times when the carbonite program runs, schedule or run after period of inactivity.  The program runs in real time so you might be limited as to what you can do here. 

-Pause or suspend protection while you are using DPP.  (not ideal)

-Consider another solution, mozy pro or CrashPlan  for example.    Carbonite is not very popular. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@nelsonsdavis wrote:

Don't think it's a hardware issue. Desktop, intel i4770k, 16 gb ram, 4 tb hard drive, HD7800 series Radeon, asus sabertooth z87, etc, etc.

Have uninstalled and reinstalled. Nada. Uninstalled and installed an older version, nada. I think it's something to do with carbonite, indexing, etc.

You’re right.  DPP has an apparent issue with Carbonite, or vice versa.  I didn’t realize that your issues began after installing and running Carbonite.  If DPP does not run with Carbonite, then that is not Canon’s fault.  

You seem to know enough about software to understand that you code against a “virtual machine.”  If users have other stuff loaded that interferes with your application, then the other applications are at fault.

[EDIT]. Then again, it could be the fault of DPP.  Don’t expect Canon to do a software update to fix Carbonite compatibility issues.  Carbonite is not a part of the “virtual machine” that i spoke of earlier.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@nelsonsdavis wrote:

You’re right.  DPP has an apparent issue with Carbonite, or vice versa.  I didn’t realize that your issues began after installing and running Carbonite.  If DPP does not run with Carbonite, then that is not Canon’s fault.  

You seem to know enough about software to understand that you code against a “virtual machine.”  If users have other stuff loaded that interferes with your application, then the other applications are at fault.

[EDIT]. Then again, it could be the fault of DPP.  Don’t expect Canon to do a software update to fix Carbonite compatibility issues.  Carbonite is not a part of the “virtual machine” that i spoke of earlier.

Rumor has it that a contributor to DPP's frustrating slowness is that it spends an inordinate amount of time searching for additional image files that it might have to display. Any program that does that is likely to have trouble coexisting with an active backup job, because the latter will try to freeze access to the files it's backing up. If it casts too wide a net, other programs will have to wait to access the files.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"Rumor has it that a contributor to DPP's frustrating slowness is that it spends an inordinate amount of time searching for additional image files that it might have to display. Any program that does that is likely to have trouble coexisting with an active backup job, because the latter will try to freeze access to the files it's backing up. If it casts too wide a net, other programs will have to wait to access the files."    

That auto search is a setting that is controlled by the OS in Windows. 

If you have Windows Media Player, you should disable it from automatically searching new media connections for new media, and automatically adding to the photo catalog. 

DPP seems to access your Photo Library, by default.  DPP also has a setting that tells it which startup folder to use on Startup, either the Photo Library folder, or the last folder it used.

DPP4_StartupFolder.PNG

Notice how it says "Pictures", which is the name of a Windows Library, not a hard drive folder.  

I was all excited about new DDP v 4 with my new laptop

After my download, installation and testing the software, the pointer keeps spinning every few seconds like trying to load or search something.  

It was nonstop spinning.  This kind of spinning sucks up my laptop juice very quickly. And my laptop uses solid state hardrive.

I can't imagine if I had the traditional HD.

Anyway, here are my comments.  The software looks fancy.  I guess Canon try to upgrade and compete with all the photo editing software.

What I love about previous versions of DDP (before 4) is that they are lightweight and super fast.  I know program is not fancy, but serves my basic purposes with lightning speed.  I usually process using DDP first.  If i need anything else, i take the same image and process using another photo editing software.

DDP ver 4 lived on my new laptop for about 30 minutes before uninstall

My old DDP ver 3 now lives in my new laptop and is alive and well.  And I am very happy 🙂

I know Canon meant well.  But iI think they should stick with the light weight version with a few minor upgrade.  A full upgrade trying to compete with other softwares is self defeating. 

hmliu

hmliu wrote:

I was all excited about new DDP v 4 with my new laptop

After my download, installation and testing the software, the pointer keeps spinning every few seconds like trying to load or search something.  

It was nonstop spinning.  This kind of spinning sucks up my laptop juice very quickly. And my laptop uses solid state hardrive.

I can't imagine if I had the traditional HD.

Anyway, here are my comments.  The software looks fancy.  I guess Canon try to upgrade and compete with all the photo editing software.

What I love about previous versions of DDP (before 4) is that they are lightweight and super fast.  I know program is not fancy, but serves my basic purposes with lightning speed.  I usually process using DDP first.  If i need anything else, i take the same image and process using another photo editing software.

DDP ver 4 lived on my new laptop for about 30 minutes before uninstall

My old DDP ver 3 now lives in my new laptop and is alive and well.  And I am very happy 🙂

I know Canon meant well.  But iI think they should stick with the light weight version with a few minor upgrade.  A full upgrade trying to compete with other softwares is self defeating. 

hmliu

You're nowhere near the latest release (4.7.21.0) of DPP 4. Until you are, your complaint is unlikely to be taken very seriously.

That said, I believe you're right that DPP 4 has serious performance issues. Even the latest release can be maddeningly slow and spend an inordinate amount of time doing essentially nothing. I suspect that unless that gets fixed, serious users will gradually abandon DPP 4 and leave the field to Adobe uncontested. Sad, but probably inevitable.

DPP 3 is much less feature rich and is not being updated. It's no substitute for DPP 4.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I am not sure which version i deleted. My download came straight from Canon USA website, so it should be the latest, unless additional updates i missed.

Regardless, the underlying performance issues need to be fixed if DPP4 wants to be a serious contender in an already very crowded space. In the meantime, I will wait and hope Canon get it right

The only time I notice a speed issue is when applying/changing noise reduction and I wonder if a newer/better video card will help?

Choosing edit brings the image and tools up instantly and except for noise reduction all editing changes appear as soon as the new values are chosen.  Noise reduction takes up to 8 seconds to finish if both luminance and chrominance settings are adjusted. Batch processing RAW to high quality full size JPG runs 6 to 9 seconds per image.

I have DPP set to use the graphics processor for image processing but I have a feeling the video card I am using is the weak link in the system, it is a Nvidia GTX 570 and I am thinking about upgrading it to something newer and better to see if this gets rid of the noise reduction lagging.

Looking at the system monitor during the time NR is being applied CPU utilization very briefly spikes to 40-44% for less than one second of the noise reduction processing time before dropping to the ~20% level or less for the remainder and back to 0% once the NR process is complete.  The GPU appears to be doing nothing staying at 0 to 1% during NR processing.  Memory utilization stays around 6%.

I am using RAW files from a 1DX Mark ii and the computer is a HP Z820 with two Xeon 8 core 3.3 ghz. CPUs, the GTX 570 video card, and 128 GB of memory.

Any comments from those using a better video card whether its GPU is being utilized during NR application?

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements