cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Photo Professional 4 Non-responsive Following File Save

jazzone
Contributor

I've been using DPP4 since its introduction on my Windows 7 desktop without incident. I just upgraded to a new computer with Windows 10, more RAM (16 GB), and faster CPU (i7-8700). I now find that DPP (4.7) hangs for about 30 seconds following a file save.The strange thing is that DPP (and only DPP) becomes temporarily non-responsive following ANY file save, even a small Notepad text file. Watching Windows Task Manager, I see that the CPU utilization jumps to about 12% following a file save for about 30 seconds, but only when DPP is open. Any idea what's causing this and how to fix it?

52 REPLIES 52

Guys,

4.8.20 has been released.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Yes, I installed it yesterday. Same problem. I’m still using 3.15. 

I have the same problem. DPP V.4.8 was working well and then after some windows 10 updates it started being non-responsive. Anyone has got a solution on this?

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately I haven't found a solution to this problem. I check each new update of 4.x hoping that Canon have fixed it, but no joy. I reported it to Canon last February but they haven't addressed the issue. I'm continuing to use DPP 3.15.

@jazzone wrote:

Unfortunately I haven't found a solution to this problem. I check each new update of 4.x hoping that Canon have fixed it, but no joy. I reported it to Canon last February but they haven't addressed the issue. I'm continuing to use DPP 3.15.

My experience has been that while a file save can provoke this phenomenon, it happens at other (unpredictable) times as well. Does it ever happen on the Mac? Lately I've been wondering whether to blame the Windows paging algorithm, which has historically not had a very good reputation.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I haven't noticed any pauses or slowdowns with 4.8.3 (Win 10 64 Pro version running on HP Z820).  It is probably interacting with a driver or one of the many processes used by Windows.

I don't use DPP on my laptop but I had a problem with some other software on it after a recent Win 10 update and finally traced that to some out of date drivers.  I ended up getting the paid version of Driver Easy instead of playing the time wasting driver search game (even a simple Win build has a ton of different drivers).  These sorts of programs shouldn't be needed but with the constant garbage coming out of Redmond these days I have given up on expecting Windows to be robust, stable, or friendly so using some of these helper programs is part of the cost of using Windows.

Driver Easy also updated some drivers on my desktop PC.

I don't need an operating system to offer anything the nice stable XP didn't provide but until I make the complete move to Linux (and DPP isn't available for it) I am stuck with MS and the host of garbage that goes with that experience.  Through Win 7 I spent maybe a couple of hours a year with computer maintenance but Win 10 is like a needy and very poorly behaved child.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@wq9nsc wrote:

I haven't noticed any pauses or slowdowns with 4.8.3 (Win 10 64 Pro version running on HP Z820).  It is probably interacting with a driver or one of the many processes used by Windows.

I don't use DPP on my laptop but I had a problem with some other software on it after a recent Win 10 update and finally traced that to some out of date drivers.  I ended up getting the paid version of Driver Easy instead of playing the time wasting driver search game (even a simple Win build has a ton of different drivers).  These sorts of programs shouldn't be needed but with the constant garbage coming out of Redmond these days I have given up on expecting Windows to be robust, stable, or friendly so using some of these helper programs is part of the cost of using Windows.

Driver Easy also updated some drivers on my desktop PC.

I don't need an operating system to offer anything the nice stable XP didn't provide but until I make the complete move to Linux (and DPP isn't available for it) I am stuck with MS and the host of garbage that goes with that experience.  Through Win 7 I spent maybe a couple of hours a year with computer maintenance but Win 10 is like a needy and very poorly behaved child.

Rodger

It's a bit off-topic, I guess, but what blows my mind is that I've never been able to make the much-ballyhooed Edge browser run under Windows 10 Pro. It blows up immediately without even reporting an error.

Bob

Bob,

I don't think you have missed anything with not being able to use Edge, i tried it for several months but found that like most MS stuff after it was updated a few times it lost its svelte nature and turned into a resource hog.. After Firefox becames extremely bloated a few years ago I have switched to Opera (built on the Chrome browser engine) and I am very pleased with it.

I also find it humorous that by default the Win 10 mail app sends most messages from Microsoft directly to the junk folder 🙂

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

It would be appreciated if posters would keep posts on-topic.

@jazzone wrote:

It would be appreciated if posters would keep posts on-topic.

I don't think we've wandered far enough off-topic to justify a complaint. We're in the "Software" area of this forum, and discussion of the behavior of the operating systems and browsers that support the editing and display of our pictures would seem to me to be relevant in most cases.

Bob
Announcements