Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Digital Photo Professional 4.5.x Slowdown and Freezing caused by program scanning drives

[ Edited ]

Quad-Core i7 3.4 GHZ CPU and 16 GB Ram

windows 10 x64 Pro

Program works well and I rely on it to help process a large number of photos from 5 cameras.

However it is loading very slowly and Freezing or slowing down when using it.  This behaviour has become a very serious problem in trying to use it. 

I ran procmon.exe (microsoft sysinternals) to see what is was doing when the program froze for minutes at a time.

Procmon.exe reported that dpp4main.exe is scanning and opening files on both my C: drive and D: drive and each time it DPP locked up completely it was when it tried to open a 100+ GB zip file.   The slowdown occurred when it went out and searched my gaming directories on another drive, another freeze occurred when it was opening multi GB .pst files.
Support told me i just needed to set the default directory - but that didn't work.

Is there anyway to to stop DPP 4.5.10 or DPP 4.5.20 from scanning my directories and files ????

I'm assuming at the moment  that it is trying to find and index photos but it's crazy to do this on multi terrabyte drives filled with a huge number of files.  Worse it seems to kick off to scan the files while i'm working on photos - freezing the program for long periods.

[Removed to protect your privacy]

Product Expert
Product Expert

Re: Digital Photo Professional 4.5.x Slowdown and Freezing caused by program scanning drives

Hello BlueNose, 

It seems that a lot of the issues that you are experiencing are the same as in another forum post that has been gone over by several esteemed contributors on this forum.  At this time I am not aware of a method to have DPP not scan the files and drives. Unfortunately that is part of the operation of the program at a fairly base level.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Occasional Contributor

Re: Digital Photo Professional 4.5.x Slowdown and Freezing caused by program scanning drives

I found the source of the worst of the problem.  Every time i run the program and delete files, when I exit the program starts or leaves another process of the same name still running invisibly and holding onto 80 to 120 MB of memory.  When I start the program again that is when the problem becomes much worse and each time I do this it adds another instance to this back ground process.  When I've had the worst experience there have been as many as 4 or these background processes running.

I've terminated the background version after I close the program manually using the task manager to kill it.   This significantly improves the performance but it still seems to freeze the program when I delete files or sometimes when i move from picture to picture. In every case I see file activity where the program is going into directories that are not photo related.

Also when I've been running procmon.exe I've noticed that it goes into a loop and keeps opening and closing the registry and files.  I really like DPP but the constant freezes are so annoying i may have to roll back to 4.3 just so i can process pictures in a reasonable amount of time.