cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP4 queries - highlight/shadow warnings not showing; active focus points not showing - why?

Adrian1
Apprentice

Hi all, my first post

Spent the afternoon with an experienced DPP4 user yesterday but neither of us can work out two things:

First, when I click the button for highlight/shadow warnings I don't see any red/blue markings on my images at all.  Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Second, I have a similar problem with the button to check active focus points.  The toggle for 'show all focus points' does work but the button for 'show active focus points' does not.  Except somewhat perversely in one image (out of the 24 I was viewing in one folder) where a single active (red) focal point showed up.  Any idea what's going on here?  Apart from that everything seems to be working normally.  Images were downloaded from Canon 7D Markii. 

Any help would be gratefully received.  Thanks, Adrian1 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

John_SD
Whiz

@Adrian1wrote:

Hi all, my first post

Spent the afternoon with an experienced DPP4 user yesterday but neither of us can work out two things:

First, when I click the button for highlight/shadow warnings I don't see any red/blue markings on my images at all.  Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Your shadow and hightlight defaults are probably set at 0 and 250. I get virtually no warnings set at these defualts. I set my shadow default to 10 and hightlights to 240 and the red and blue markings on the images will appear, giving you an idea of what you might want to tweak. You can adust the threshold values up or down as you please. 

See page 22 in the DPP 4.8.20 manual. 

www.canon.com/icpd

View solution in original post

Hi Waddizzle

Thanks for your quick response too.  I'm much obliged.  Yes, the camera is set to back button focussing.  Your comments make sense.  I'll check by reverting the focussing and see if that works.  By the by, I followed advice from other contributors on highlight warnings and that's now OK.

Thanks again

Adrian

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

John_SD
Whiz

@Adrian1wrote:

Hi all, my first post

Your shadow and hightlight defaults are probably set at 0 and 250. I get virtually no warnings set at these defualts. I set my shadow default to 10 and hightlights to 240 and the red and blue markings on the images will appear, giving you an idea of what you might want to tweak. You can adust the threshold values up or down as you please. 

See page 22 in the DPP 4.8.20 manual. 

www.canon.com/icpd

Hi John_SD

Thanks so much for your swift response - I've tried it and it works!!  Simple!  Really appreciate your help on highlight warnings.  Cheers, Adrian

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

2018-03-07.png

2018-03-07 (1).png

When you select "show all" does anything show red?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi John

Thanks for your quick response too.  No, when I hit 'show all' they're still all black.  I note one kind respondent has raised the question of am I using back button focussing.  Yes, I was (just got a second hand camera from said friend who had it set that way).  I'm guessing that could be the problem so will need to check without.

Thanks again

Adrian

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

One: If you do not see any highlight warnings, then that is a good thing. I must not understand your complaint.

Two: Are you using BBF, Back Button Focus?  DPP only displays the active AF points when the AF point is active.  In other words, if you use BBF and are not pressing the BBF button when you fire the shutter, then DPP will not display active AF points, because no AF points were active.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi Waddizzle

Thanks for your quick response too.  I'm much obliged.  Yes, the camera is set to back button focussing.  Your comments make sense.  I'll check by reverting the focussing and see if that works.  By the by, I followed advice from other contributors on highlight warnings and that's now OK.

Thanks again

Adrian

Announcements