cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP4 performance with Windows 10 fall creators edition (1709 6299.248)

Peterff
Apprentice

I like DPP4, but the current performance is unusable. I'm using the latest download (4.8.20).  My system isn't the newest or the fastest, it's an Intel Core i5 650 3.2 GHz, with 8GB of RAM, 800GB of SSD.  DPP4 used to be fine, but recently has slowed to a crawl, making it unusable with my 80D files.

Is this a setup problem? Is it just a software bug or design issue?  If I have to switch to lightroom and invest in the learning curve to use it then DPP will likely be consigned to history.  I don't understand what is going on with DPP, and I don't experience similar problems with any other apps. I build my own computers and have been in the biz for decades, but I can't diagnose or fix thes problems.Playing with the preferences configurations hasn't helped so far, nor has shutting down other Windows applications or services.

Any guidance?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

cicopo
Elite

Can't help you with that problem but have a few myself after the Win 10 update. Epson Scan stopped working & I had to download & reinstall the software for it plus every time I select Print in CS 6 I get an error message & Photoshop closes. Seems to be some conflicts between the latest version of windows & existing software. I suspect I'll hit a few more issues when I try using other programs I only use an occasion. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Are you using a seperate GPU or the on-board graphics on your motherboard?

There has also been some mention of things slowing down if you're working from a folder with a large number of RAW image files. You might try copying just 3 or 4 RAW images into a seperate folder and see if that improves things or not. It was something like DPP4 was trying to read and index every image file in a given folder that was really hogging resources that were also used for image processing.

On board. Don't want to buy a GPU till I upgrade the whole system. I've tried creating a small working folder on SSD, and a separate temp file. The edits work fast enough, but after a single image edit everything crawls to a stop. Your comment about indexing seems to be plausible, others have mentioned that, so I've tried isolating things, and also shutting down other services, but so far no significant improvements.  Many thanks.

When building your new system remember that DPP needs an Nvidia GPU.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

DPP4 didn't used to need a GPU, and I won't be rebuilding my machine for at least a year. There is no mention of a GPU nVidia or otherwise in the system specs for DPP 4.7. I understand that a GPU is useful, but that's not happening soon.  The problem doesn't seem to be in grahics processing but with file access and saving.

DPP4 used to work just fine until a few months ago, perhaps I can reinstall an earlier version and see what happens, but unless I make progress very soon, I may just have use lightroom instead and abandon DPP4.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Agree you don’t NEED a GPU. But if you want to take advantage of the speed boost of a GPU then you will need an Nvidia GPU. It’s in the manual.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yes, I understand that it would be faster, but this isn't a GPU or processing speed problem. It is related to problems reported by other users where the system performs the first edits just fine, but then crawls to a halt when saving or accessing files. It shouldn't need a GPU to read or write to an SSD.

I've also seen references to conflicts with Windows Media Player and/or Windows Media center. I think either program can be used as an image browser and to run slide shows. By default, I think, WMP and/or WMC will regularly scan for all image files on your drive and index them for later potential use. I believe you can alter this behavior in a WMP or WMC settings or preferences menu.

Announcements