cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP4 Crashes When I Open It

scottkincaid
Apprentice

Hi,

I have just downloaded DPP 4 and it crashes constantly every time i open it. i am using windows 10. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you wq9nsc! That was exactly my problem opening and crashing. DPP4 would open for a few seconds highlighting a particular sub folder, then shut down. Prior to that it was working normally. I even removed DPP4 via control panel, downloaded and installed a new version, and DPP4 still opened briefly, somehow highlighting the same sub folder, before shutting down.  All I had to do was change the name of the sub folder and it has resumed opening normally. PC is a Dell Inspiron 3668 64-bit running Windows 10 (won't upgrade to Windows 11).

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

CR2 Files.

I have been using DPP4 ver. 4.7.21 without particular issues for 3 years to view pictures JPG and RAW taken with a Powershot G3x on a windows 7 64bit computer. During this period I also did a major upgrade by replacing the hard drive with a SSD so I took the opportunity to clean rebuild the OS from scratch and I reinstalled the same version of DPP.

last week I changed my camera so i downloaded all the software from canon website, including DPP version 4.9.20 that I updated from the existing verison and I did not notice any issue.

Indeed I only shot jpeg, as soon as I started to use RAW the DPP started each time I open the preview window.

I tried to update the version with 4.10.0 , no luck, the program kept crashing.

Finally I decided to uninstall completely DPP, reboot the computer , installed the version 4.7.21 and reboot again... to be sure.

I tried several CR2, new and old, no more crashing.

My guess is between:

1) Releases newer than 4.7.21 have a bug

2) The setup/update process is not working well and it is necessary to uninstall previous version of DPP.

I hope this helps

DaleMeyer
Apprentice

I have the same problem.

I'm using an HP ProBook 4540s running windows 8.1, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD.  DPP4.11.0 crashes immediately on startup.

I uninstalled 4.11.0 and installed DPP 4.10.50, earlier version, and it runs just fine so far.

My camera is an EOS Rebel T6 EF-S.

@DaleMeyer wrote:

I have the same problem.

I'm using an HP ProBook 4540s running windows 8.1, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD.  DPP4.11.0 crashes immediately on startup.

I uninstalled 4.11.0 and installed DPP 4.10.50, earlier version, and it runs just fine so far.

My camera is an EOS Rebel T6 EF-S.

That is an older laptop that was capable of running Windows 7, which means it likely has some hardware incompatibilities   I suggest that you either upgrade it, or continue running the older version.

If you are considering upgrading, then do not lowball it and go for the budget laptops.  They tend to be overwhelmed by th DPP application because they typically lack graphics cards.

I currently use a Dell gaming laptop, which I bought on sale for just under $1000 USD.  It has a 500 GB SSD as its' main boot drive, and a 1 TB hard drive for data storage.  I have an NVidia GeForce GTX1060 with 4 GB of RAM.  

Those are two things you would want in a laptop, an SSD and an NVidia graphics card. Perhaps the most important thing to have is genuine Intel Inside.  There are lots of posts from people who are having issues running AMD CPUs.  And, there are just as many people having issues running home brewed machines.  I suspect their problems are their BIOS.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

You are correct about the age of the computer. It originally had Windows 7. I do not intend to replace the computer because I'm now able to run DPP4, just an earlier version.

The HDD on this computer started to fail earlier this year, and I was able to recover most of my data. I gave it a 500 GB SSD, a dual frequency Wi-Fi radio, added 4 GB of memory and upgraded to Windows 8.1 using a factory disc I had, all for about $120.

The performance now is better than when it was new.  Start up takes 35 seconds.  I don't do gaming, I just have many years of family photos that I’m organizing and have placed onto Microsoft OneDrive.

I have a newer Dell Inspiron running Windows 10 and the latest version of DPP4 runs well on it.

I was thinking about loading Windows 10 into the HP ProBook, but everything is running so well I may just leave it alone. Like they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Be thankful that DPP runs at all.  This image is from the DPP download page.  This is just a small part of the hardware/software requirements.  This is for Windows 10, but other Windows OS downloads have similar specs.

25A9ED08-7D53-402A-B094-1F28CE67F28D.jpeg

Notice that "upgraded" operating systems are not supported.  

Your laptop isn't really running Windows 8.  The user interface has been changed to look like Windows 8, but it is still running Windows 7 under the hood.  Apps are also fooled into thinking that the laptop is running Windows 8 when they interrogate the OS to find out what OS the host is running.

@Waddizzle wrote:

Be thankful that DPP runs at all.  This image is from the DPP download page.  This is just a small part of the hardware/software requirements.  This is for Windows 10, but other Windows OS downloads have similar specs.

25A9ED08-7D53-402A-B094-1F28CE67F28D.jpeg

Notice that "upgraded" operating systems are not supported.  

Your laptop isn't really running Windows 8.  The user interface has been changed to look like Windows 8, but it is still running Windows 7 under the hood.  Apps are also fooled into thinking that the laptop is running Windows 8 when they interrogate the OS to find out what OS the host is running.

I am thankful that DPP4 is running OK.

The Intel Core i5-3210M CPU can run 2.5  GHz, and I have watched it hit 2.91 GHz while DPP is working hard.  With 8 GB RAM and 410 GB of free SSD space it ssems there might be some kind of hardware incompatibility issue with the latest DPP4, but I don't care since all is running well.  The only issue I have left is an intermittant loss of function to the Synaptics Touch Pad, but I Installed an earlier driver and that might have fixed that problem.

I am aware that Windows 7 and 8 are no longer supported, and that is why I may experiment with Windows 10, but again it ain't broke.  It's like a good old car that's not much to look at; it gets me where I want to go, and nobody is going to steal it.

Thank you for your help!

"I am aware that Windows 7 and 8 are no longer supported, and that is why I may experiment with Windows 10, but again it ain't broke.  It's like a good old car that's not much to look at; it gets me where I want to go, and nobody is going to steal it."

I think you missed point here.  Both Windows 7 and 8 are supported.  What is not supported are their upgrades to Windows 10. 

@DaleMeyer wrote:

I have the same problem.

Immediately after a startup crash, delete the Canon_Inc_IC folder in C:\ProgramData\

The folder is hidden so you need to change the settings.

From someone who had DPP4.11.0 startup crashes after a Windows update.

@Peter wrote:

@DaleMeyer wrote:

I have the same problem.

Immediately after a startup crash, delete the Canon_Inc_IC folder in C:\ProgramData\

The folder is hidden so you need to change the settings.

From someone who had DPP4.11.0 startup crashes after a Windows update.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Announcements