cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP4 Crashes When I Open It

scottkincaid
Apprentice

Hi,

I have just downloaded DPP 4 and it crashes constantly every time i open it. i am using windows 10. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you wq9nsc! That was exactly my problem opening and crashing. DPP4 would open for a few seconds highlighting a particular sub folder, then shut down. Prior to that it was working normally. I even removed DPP4 via control panel, downloaded and installed a new version, and DPP4 still opened briefly, somehow highlighting the same sub folder, before shutting down.  All I had to do was change the name of the sub folder and it has resumed opening normally. PC is a Dell Inspiron 3668 64-bit running Windows 10 (won't upgrade to Windows 11).

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@scottkincaidwrote:

Hi,

I have just downloaded DPP 4 and it crashes constantly every time i open it. i am using windows 10. Any ideas?

Okay, but what brand of PC?  Does it have the proper specifications to run DPP.

If you have Windows Media Player, then you will want to disable all features related to automatically hunting and searching for new media files, and automatically adding them to the catalog.  This can be a time consuming process the first time you run WMP.  Canon’s DPP uses some of the drivers that get installed with WMP, and have long suspected DPP is doing the same thing, doing whatever the default behavior is on your PC.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi, thanks for replying. The laptop is a Lenovo Thinkpad T410 so should have the spec required. I have being using DPP 3 for 2 years and no issues. If it has being running DPP3, do you still think it could be an issue with WMP?

@scottkincaidwrote:

Hi, thanks for replying. The laptop is a Lenovo Thinkpad T410 so should have the spec required. I have being using DPP 3 for 2 years and no issues. If it has being running DPP3, do you still think it could be an issue with WMP?

Actually, it does not. I think your Lenovo is the problem. It seems to lack the horsepower to run today’s 64-bit software.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/migr-75387

My research shows that it is from the generation of laptops that could run 32bit Windows XP, and the most recent OS that it supports is Windows 7.

Hi, Thanks for reply but my Lenovo T410 is a 64bit version which has been upgraded to Windows 10 professional and have had no issues, until now that is. No worries will just stick with DPP3 for now. 

@scottkincaidwrote:

Hi, Thanks for reply but my Lenovo T410 is a 64bit version which has been upgraded to Windows 10 professional and have had no issues, until now that is. No worries will just stick with DPP3 for now. 

Okay. I stand corrected.

Yesterday I upgraded from DPP 4.7.2 to 4.8.2 and had repetive crashes for the first time ever with DPP.  My best guess for what triggered the behavior was I had navigated to a subdirectory that contained a mix of files and DPP didn't seem to like that environment.  After three crashes I got it to stay alive long enough to move from that directory and no more problems since.

I am running it on a HP Z820 workstation (Win 10 pro, dual Xeon CPU, 128 GB memory, Nvidia graphics card).  I also noticed that the latest version seems to take a little bit longer when working with a RAW file when digital lens optimizer has been selected along with significant noise reduction.  It has gone from 4 to 5 seconds with 4.7.2 to maybe 10-12 seconds with 4.8.2.  Hopefully a more powerful graphics card will help once they become available from the hopeful decline of the crypto currency mining bubble that is gobbling up all of the cards.

I also note that running 4.8.2 during this processing delay CPU utilization never exceeds 15% while it would spike briefly to the 60% range with 4.7.2 although the sustained usage during the few seconds of processing wasn't very high with 4.7.2 either.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thank you wq9nsc! That was exactly my problem opening and crashing. DPP4 would open for a few seconds highlighting a particular sub folder, then shut down. Prior to that it was working normally. I even removed DPP4 via control panel, downloaded and installed a new version, and DPP4 still opened briefly, somehow highlighting the same sub folder, before shutting down.  All I had to do was change the name of the sub folder and it has resumed opening normally. PC is a Dell Inspiron 3668 64-bit running Windows 10 (won't upgrade to Windows 11).

And thank you wakahuna for the file renaming trick! I was having the exact same problem.

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Are you using DPP4 to process CRW. or CR2. files?

Announcements