Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

Re: DPP4 Adobe RGB processed incorrect

Yes, in the current version (4.8.20.0) I also still set the low output level to 10 (in the Tone Curve Adjustment tab) and copy that to all files in the folder.

That's going to be a hassle when canon fixes this bug...

I am not sure whether to overall look is different from DPP3, not in my experience.

For the rest I still love DPP for its true-to-life color reproduction and flexible, fast way of grading a raw file.

I'll never switch to Adobe for raw editing (even though I have the master suite).

@

I'm sorry that I never replied to your last post :-(

New Contributor

@Skieswrote:

Yes, in the current version (4.8.20.0) I also still set the low output level to 10 (in the Tone Curve Adjustment tab) and copy that to all files in the folder.

That's going to be a hassle when canon fixes this bug...

I am not sure whether to overall look is different from DPP3, not in my experience.

It definitely looks different in DPP3. I have some RAWs where there is relevant detail in the shadows that is pretty much lost in DPP4 (unfortunately I cannot publish them for legal reasons).

Setting the minimum output threshould to 10 can only be a crude workaround because it means that the output file will not contain any darker tones than that value of 10 at all. This is different from what DPP3 produces. I also tried playing with the tone curve in DPP4 to produce similar output as in DPP3 but without success. It seems that DPP4 pre-applies a higher contrast and that is hard to undo.

@Skies: have you reported this problem to Canon so that we can hope for a fix? I also very much like the colors from DPP and not being able to use DPP4 with never cameras kind of puts me off when it comes to buying new Camera bodies from Canon.

Occasional Contributor

@Tomri:

I believe I did report this but can't remember how.

All raw editing from DPP3 is lost in DPP4, maybe that is part of your problem?

If I set the low output level to 10 I get my shadow detail back. (Using Adobe RGB)

Maybe it is not consistent with different camera models?

Highlighted
New Contributor

@Skieswrote:

@Tomri:

I believe I did report this but can't remember how.

All raw editing from DPP3 is lost in DPP4, maybe that is part of your problem?

If I set the low output level to 10 I get my shadow detail back. (Using Adobe RGB)

Maybe it is not consistent with different camera models?

I noticed that most (all?) of the settings stored in a RAW are ignored when moving from DPP3 to DPP4. For the purpose of my test I reset images to "as shot", then made sure ALO was off and then compared the results. So the outcome should not have depended on any previous editing. By the way, it was one of the big strenghts of DPP3 to give me good results by default, so having to individually tune images in DPP4 would be a big downside if it was necessary to bring back shadow detail that was there by default in DPP3.

I do believe you get the shadow detail back by dialing in a minimum output level of 10, but then the resulting JPEG file will not contain any real blacks, as I understand. Actually it should then not contain any levels <10. This is not what I want. Some photos have black or near black areas and I do not want them to become "grey".