cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP does not remove hot pixels

heyjp
Enthusiast

I have a 5 year old Canon 6D which has developed quite a few hot or stuck pixels.  I have done the "hot pixel fix" which is to invoke "manual sensor clean" for 30s which (supposedly) creates an internal hot pixel remapping.

When I open RAW astronophoto images in DPP, the stuck pixels are easily seen.  If I export a batch of photos to TIFF, the hot pixels still exist.  If I open my RAW images in Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom, the hot pixels are removed automatically.

It would appear that DPP does not remove hot pixels, but Adobe products do (automatically).

Any official word on this?

JIm in Boulder

5 REPLIES 5

heyjp
Enthusiast

Can anybody confirm this behavior in DPP?  

I have found threads that state the same (RAW conversion in DPP does not remove bad pixels) from several years ago, but no one using recent (version 4 and after) versions of DPP.

Jim

@heyjp wrote:

Can anybody confirm this behavior in DPP?  

I have found threads that state the same (RAW conversion in DPP does not remove bad pixels) from several years ago, but no one using recent (version 4 and after) versions of DPP.

Jim

I think that issue is pretty rare, because I know if I had it, I would get the camera repaired. 

Have you tried the “dust delete” process?  Or whatever it is called.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tim
Authority

Hello heyjp, 

Another user suggested dust delete data and I think this is an excellent place to start with this particular type of issue.  If you experience multiples of these "hot/ stuck pixels" it's possible it's a bad case of dust.  Appending dust delete data to your images will enable Digital Photo Professional to automatically map out these spots on your photos.  The process is outlined below.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

frezende
Apprentice

I'm facing the same problem with a 60D model. When I open the picture on the native windows 10 photo program, it automatically fixes the hot pixels. When I open the picture on DPP, all the hot pixels appear, and it keeps appearing in any format that I export.

I saw the option that can fix the problem for futures pics, but I can´t lose the pictures that I have already taken.

@frezende wrote:

I'm facing the same problem with a 60D model. When I open the picture on the native windows 10 photo program, it automatically fixes the hot pixels. When I open the picture on DPP, all the hot pixels appear, and it keeps appearing in any format that I export.

I saw the option that can fix the problem for futures pics, but I can´t lose the pictures that I have already taken.

I'm reading between the lines here, but are you saying that you could have fixed the hot pixels if you still had the RAW file, but can't see a way to do it with the JPEG you saved? One thing you might try is to edit the image to a slightly different resolution, possibly forcing the hot pixels to be averaged with their neighbors or squeezed out altogether.

There's no sight like hindsight, but it's usually a bad idea to discard the RAW file.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements