cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP & AF Focus Point

pizellie
Apprentice

I am brand new to my 5D4 (still have two 5D2's). I recently got back to using Canon DPP since the high resolution sensor on the 5D4 renders the images very flat, soft sharpness, low color, etc. Canon DPP does a great job of capture all of the file information that LR (for me) does not.

I am trying to study my focus on the 5D4 to see if I am focusing propertly.  I was encouraged to see that DPP has the AP Point in focus icon.  After viewing a number of images, I said: WOW - you are NOT focusing properly.  My focus workflow is to use a single focus point on a subject I am interested in (like the eyes on people) and then re-composing my image.

When looking at the AF Focus Points in DPP, I "thought" all of my focus points were way off - only to realize that DPP only shows a focus point in the CENTER of each image.  What purpose is that ... or ... am I missing something and using this AF Focus Point in DPP wrong?

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

DPP does allow two AF Point viewing options:

2018-04-10.png

If you are focusing and recomposing the camera probably focused with the center point and since you locked focus that is the one that shows up in DPP.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

pizellie
Apprentice
Jr - I suppose I didn’t make clear my point on the DPP AF focus point. Check it out for yourself and you will the DOO AF Ficus point is ALWAYS directly in the CENTER of the image even though that is NOT where I focused the image.

DPP shows the active focus point; not necessarily where you focused if you focus and recompose. The camera/software have no way of knowing that you moved the camera.

If you choose an off-center focus point DPP will show it.

2018-04-10 (1).png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

What John said ^^

The AF point(s) displayed in DPP simply indicate which focus point either you selected (if you force it to use a specific point) or the camera (if you let it pick the point) chose.  It has no idea if you moved the camera after it locked focus.

Focus & recompose is generally safe if you have a decent depth of field.  For shots with precariously shallow depth of field... that technique can put the subject out of focus.  This is because while the focal “plane” is technically curved... the optics are designed to attempt to “flatten” the focus plane.   When you re-point the camera, you move that plane and the subject’s eyes may not necessarily still be in that plane.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

One of the features of the 5D Mark IV is that it has 61 selectable focus points so you can avoid having to focus and recompose. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements