cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP 4 Lens Data problem

jm2
Contributor

I'm having an odd problem with DPP v4.7.20.0, I shot 19 images with a 7DII + 100-400mm II but 4 of these images are showing Lens data : Not Available, it seems the camera didn't save the data to the raw file, what could be the cuase of this?

Just to add I can view the file info ok, it's the Lens data that is missing.

Thanks

jm

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jm2
Contributor

I've finaly solved the problem, the shots that had no lens data where all shot on one of my custom settings & for some unknown reason that setting was set to use mRAW, I don't recall changing this from full RAW. Thanks for your feedback  Waddizzle, much appreciated.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@jm2 wrote:

Apparently, there was a problem either collecting the data, or writing the data.  Are you shooting RAW o JPEG?  How do you transfer files out of the camera, card reader or USB?

You could have a problem with the lens itself, so test the camera with other lenses under similar conditions.  Let’s rule that potential problem out for now.  

You did not say that you were using an extender, so let’s rule out an issue with collecting the data for now.  If your “bad” files are part of a continuous sequence of photos, then that could explain it, but that could also imply an intermittent problem with the camera, or the lens.  Let’s rule that out for now, too.  Hopefully, it will go completely away.

The next area to look at is an issue associated with the act of writing and saving the data.  This immediately questions the integrity of the memory card.  You could have a card that is bad, or in the act of failing.  Cards should always be formatted within the camera.  

Make sure to use major name brands like Lexar or SanDisk.  I use a SanDisk 32 GB Extreme UDMA 7 CF card, and a SanDisk 32 GB Pixtor Class 10 SD card, in my cameras with dual card slots.  I formatted them in the camera prior to use.

Another unlikely possibility is that your files were compromised during the data transfer process.  If you have a card reader, then try to transfer the files using the reader, instead via USB with an application.

Finally, keep shooting with the camera/lens combo and see if the issue appears again.  It may have been just a one time glitch, caused by who knows what, like a passing sub-atomic particle.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I was shooting RAW, no extender, files transfered using card reader, card used is a Kingston CF ultimate 32GB, the 4 images without the lens data are one sequence, I shot a sequence before & after but they are fine with lens data available, hopefuly it's a one of glitch, I'll be going out shooting tomorrow, will report back after I have viewd the files. I'll shoot with CF & SD cards, writing to both cards.

@jm2 wrote:

I was shooting RAW, no extender, files transfered using card reader, card used is a Kingston CF ultimate 32GB, the 4 images without the lens data are one sequence, I shot a sequence before & after but they are fine with lens data available, hopefuly it's a one of glitch, I'll be going out shooting tomorrow, will report back after I have viewd the files. I'll shoot with CF & SD cards, writing to both cards.

Kingston is a brand that gets a thumbs down in my book.  Stick to Lexar and Sandisk for cards AND readers.

@jm2 wrote:

I have looked for your memory card, but cannot identify it.  Is that a CF or SD card?  Kingston does not offer CF cards, mainly micro-SD cards.  I suspect Kingston packages micro-SD cards into full size packages, instead of manufacturing an actual full size card.  I have no proof of that, of course.

I use a vendor that sells matched kits of UDMA-7 CF and UHS-1 SD cards, which work perfectly with Canon DSLRs that use dual card slots, like the 7D Mark II.

SanDisk_64GB_CF_SD_ComboPack.JPG

I purchased a few 32GB kits a couple of years ago, but they seem to no longer be offered.  A 32GB card is a little small for the latest high MP camera bodies, anyway.  They currently offer 64GB and 128GB kits. 

[EDIT] The lower capacity cards are still available, but are sold separately, not as a kit.

jm2
Contributor

I've finaly solved the problem, the shots that had no lens data where all shot on one of my custom settings & for some unknown reason that setting was set to use mRAW, I don't recall changing this from full RAW. Thanks for your feedback  Waddizzle, much appreciated.

@jm2 wrote:

Unless you found the camera actually set to mRAW, then your discovery could be evidence of data corruption.  If the one part of the shooting info is corrupted, then why believe the rest of it?  How can you trust it?  

The fact that it occured during a shot sequence is telling.  I think it means the card cannot sustain high speed writes consistently.  Some cards have impressive burst write speeds, but their sustained write speeds tell a different story.  I think that this might be the case with your memory card.

Memory cards are relatively inexpensive, compared to the price of cameras.  I would still consider a new brand.

Yes my C2 was set to mRAW, Iv'e been using the Kingston CF ultimate 32GB card for over two years without any problems, I prefer it over my two SanDisk 16 GB Extreme CF cards as it is faster Smiley Wink

Announcements