cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP 4.8.x Feedback Thread

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Have you recently upgraded to DPP 4.8.20 for Windows or MAC. 

Please include:

Version and build of your OS

Fresh install or Upgrade from previous version of DPP

Your experience or feedback

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It
36 REPLIES 36

@shadowsportswrote:

Please include:

Windows 10 Professional with automatic update.

Upgrade from the previous version. But I don't think that matters. Every new version appears to be a complete install.

Works OK so far. but still does a ridiculout amount of thrashing over the Ethernet if your files are on a server rather than on the local computer. Delays of 30 seconds or more are still frequent and happen at unpredictable times.

Bottom Line: No worse than the previous version, but no obvious improvements either.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFatwrote:

@shadowsportswrote:

Please include:

Windows 10 Professional with automatic update.

Upgrade from the previous version. But I don't think that matters. Every new version appears to be a complete install.

Works OK so far. but still does a ridiculout amount of thrashing over the Ethernet if your files are on a server rather than on the local computer. Delays of 30 seconds or more are still frequent and happen at unpredictable times.

Bottom Line: No worse than the previous version, but no obvious improvements either.

I store files on a network drive, but I do not seem to have the problems you have long been reporting. Are you connecting to your LAN wirelessly, or with copper.  I use copper.  I use my own router, too, and not rely on the cable modem from my ISP.

I am running Windows Server 2008 R2, without any issues.  However, that hardware is fairly old, and is not as fast as my Western Digital network storage devices, which I purchased 10 years after the Dell server platform.

I always use a network cable to process photos.  Processing images over a wireless connection to the LAN is noticeably slower.  BTW, my wireless router is just as old as the Dell server.

My two photo laptops both have NVIDIA graphics cards.  I purchased “gaming laptops” from B&H, which were cheaper than buying graphics workstations.  The laptops process several 30MB RAW images per minute. 

On the other hand, i have an old laptop, circa 2008(?), that I bought, which came with a free Windows 10 upgrade, when it Microsoft released the Operating System.  That budget laptop uses the Intel graphics chipset, and it has all of the slow performance issues that many people complain about.

My conclusion is that DPP does not run very well on budget laptops, and even worse on an Windows 7 machine that had the free upgrade to Windows 10.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

woodsy
Contributor

Windows 10 Home 64 Bit

Upgrade

No crashes but still very slow when in the Edit Image window with my G3X and some other cameras. I tested some raws from the recentlty announced camers, I can work with the 2000D and 4000D files just fine but the files from the M50 make DPP unusable on my machine.

I like the Check For Updates addition to the Help menu.

Windows 10 Professional

Upgrade from 4.7.2

Multiple crashes shortly after install; I believe it was related to the mix of files in a sub-directory I was using.  Once I kept it "alive" long enough to get back into my usual file area it has been fine.

I do notice (compared to 4.7.2)

1.  It can be much slower during editing when working with a file where digital lens optimizer has been used and there is significant noise reduction from a higher ISO file.  I am using files from a 1DX Mark 2 on a HP Z820 workstation (dual Xeon CPU with 128 GB of memory and Nvidia graphics card).  Processing of changes in noise reduction take up to twice as long (10 to 12 seconds) compared to prior version. I also note that CPU utilization remains fairly low at less than 15% during this period.

Overall if I don't run into the crash issue again it seems OK.

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

And I finally upgraded.

#1 DPP 4.7.1 / EOS 3.6.3 - Windows Home, Build 1709, intel graphics - Works Perfectly

#2 DPP 4.7.2 / EOS 3.6.3 - Windows Pro, Build 1709, EVGA gForce GTX 970 FTW - Works perfectly

Both now running 4.8.20

Fresh install

I will pay particular attention to time it takes for processing noise changes as wq9nsc mentioned.   

No issues noted thus far.  I liked the "check for updates" option as well.  Very "handy".

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It

Shadow,

No more crash issues since that initial problem and I have edited quite a few RAW files from both my older 1DM2 and 1DX M2 since the crash to test it.

The slowdown only seems to be present when the lens optimizer has also been selected and that in combination with noise reduction changes creates the longer delay.

Otherwise it seems to work very well and the slowdown isn't that bad but it is noticeable compared to the earlier version.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Ah, ok.  So I can only test with my Canon brand lenses. 

Thanks 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

47greyfox
Enthusiast

Windows 19 x64 Home Version

Fresh Install but was an upgrade from 4.7, uninstalled 4.8.20 then installed after problems

Have not been able to run DPP 4.8.20. Crashes on startup. Normal DPP dashboard comes up but immediately shuts down after flashing Windows popup that says the program has stopped.

Windows 10 Insider Preview build 17133.1

Fresh install.

I would like to have Polish language.

Announcements