cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP 4.7.1 - Hangs a lot

peter460
Contributor

Often DPP hangs , I let it try and recover and after 15 mins or so somethimes it recovers otherwise I have to reboot PC. Does not help shutting down app and restarting - it won't run then. Even after a reboot of PC it won't start and I need to do a second reboot.  DPP 4.7.1 , Windows 1703, I5 processor 8 GB ram.Its so frustrating ! Thi shappens when no other apps are running - and usually over 4 GB of RAM free. Sometimes it sits at 25 % CPU load other times it at below 0.2 % and just not going anywhere 

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@peter460 wrote:

Often DPP hangs , I let it try and recover and after 15 mins or so somethimes it recovers otherwise I have to reboot PC. Does not help shutting down app and restarting - it won't run then. Even after a reboot of PC it won't start and I need to do a second reboot.  DPP 4.7.1 , Windows 1703, I5 processor 8 GB ram.Its so frustrating ! Thi shappens when no other apps are running - and usually over 4 GB of RAM free. Sometimes it sits at 25 % CPU load other times it at below 0.2 % and just not going anywhere 

What task is DPP performing when this happens?  

Are you using JPEGs or RAW files, and how large are they?

If you have Windows Media Player, then disable the feature that allows to automatically search for new media all over your hard drive, and FTP sites.  Also, disable Windows from searching for new media when you attach a thumb drive, or other new devices.  Seleect “Take No Action”

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

peter460
Contributor

Ok disabled Windows Media player alltogether under Windows Features , seems promissing will need to do more interactions before I can confirm , thanks

Still problematic - if you decide to open any other application with DPP running it hangs it seems - fromWindows events manager 

The program Dpp4Main.exe version 4.7.1.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
Process ID: 17c8
Start Time: 01d345bde05c54a8
Termination Time: 1955
Application Path: C:\Program Files\Canon\Digital Photo Professional 4\Dpp4Main.exe
Report Id: 27ff3370-1620-485d-883c-a8746a49143e
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

@peter460 wrote:

Ok disabled Windows Media player alltogether under Windows Features , seems promissing will need to do more interactions before I can confirm , thanks

I asked you what task is DPP doing, and I am still asking.  I asked a couple of other questions, too.  

If you do not want my help, then I suggest that you contact Canon US Support.  BTW, Canon will ask you similar questions.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@peter460 wrote:

I asked you what task is DPP doing, and I am still asking.  I asked a couple of other questions, too.  

If you do not want my help, then I suggest that you contact Canon US Support.  BTW, Canon will ask you similar questions.

I've had it hang while using the "stamping tool" (the menu option that lets you get rid of light or dark spots, etc.), And I think the problem is new with Version 4.7.1. I've been able to get by it fairly reliably by opening and closing the Task Manager. DPP responds by thinking for a few seconds with the rotating wheel, then comes back to life.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I have not isolated it to  any specific task its doing , When idle I switch to another app eg Adobe Acrobat or Chrome  and then it hangs. Have disaabled windows  "Film and TV " folder searching and have not had it hang yet. So hopefully its that

peter460 wrote:

I have not isolated it to  any specific task its doing , When idle I switch to another app eg Adobe Acrobat or Chrome  and then it hangs. Have disaabled windows  "Film and TV " folder searching and have not had it hang yet. So hopefully its that

Where are those settings found?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

From start menu run "Film and TV " ( I think it came with Windows 1703 , then Settings - "Choose where we look for Videos", make sure no folders are present. It seemed to have found videos on my PC somehow initially when it was installed , I changeded it to one folder with one video , rebooted , then removed that file and folder and then checked that no folders are present.  It seems to affect DPP even if its only got the one folder to scan. 1703 was forced onto my PC recentlt by Windows even though I had set an internal register to stop any updates.

Announcements