cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP 4.7.1 Crop Settings

GenXRailmedia
Enthusiast

I've been using it for a couple of weeks and like it fairly well. The only thing I'm not a fan of is when I go to crop, the default setting is 3:2.  I always prefer "Free" because I am an OCD control freak.  Robot Happy

Anyway, is there a way to change the crop default to "Free" so I don't have the extra step of having to click to change it?  I know it doesn't take that long, but I find it incredibly annoying.  

I looked in preferences but saw nothing pertaining to cropping options.

23 REPLIES 23

@GenXRailmedia wrote:

I've been using it for a couple of weeks and like it fairly well. The only thing I'm not a fan of is when I go to crop, the default setting is 3:2.  I always prefer "Free" because I am an OCD control freak.  Robot Happy

Anyway, is there a way to change the crop default to "Free" so I don't have the extra step of having to click to change it?  I know it doesn't take that long, but I find it incredibly annoying.  

I looked in preferences but saw nothing pertaining to cropping options.

And it omits 8:5, though it's the aspect ratio of many common LCD monitors and a very useful aspect ratio in its own right. I've long suspected that in Windows this omission can be corrected in the Registry, but I haven't gotten around to researching it. On the Mac? I haven't the foggiest. Mac users are on their own, AFAIK.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

On the Mac it would be the .plist.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You might try unlocking it on one photo, saving it, and then applying that recipe to a batch of photos.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

That makes sense, but I don't do much batch work. I've just become so accustomed to just clicking and cropping as I please over 10 years of using DPP, that it's muscle memory.

Even if "free" was the deafult setting, I'm sure someone else would complain if 3:2 was not the default setting, I guess I'll just have to suck it up and start automatically changing it each time.

@GenXRailmedia wrote:
That makes sense, but I don't do much batch work. I've just become so accustomed to just clicking and cropping as I please over 10 years of using DPP, that it's muscle memory.

Even if "free" was the deafult setting, I'm sure someone else would complain if 3:2 was not the default setting, I guess I'll just have to suck it up and start automatically changing it each time.

Adobe Lightroom works along the same vein.  You cannot simply browse folders like you can with DPP.  You must select image files to be “imported” into your photo database.  By default, LR applies no lens correction.  If you wish to have lens correction automatically applies to your photos, there is a feature called a “preset”, what you can apply during the “import” process.

Running a “preset recipe” on a new folder of image files should be quick an easy in DPP.  For example, I used to do it all of the time to apply a White Balance setting to a set of files, before I begin tweaking the individual files for best results.

Call me a simple man who doesn't like change, but I did the free trial of LR, and just gave up after about the second day. It was too overwhelming and took any enjoyment out of the whole process. DPP is really all I need in an editor. Occasionally, I'll use GIMP for random corrections. I just wasn't a fan of the importing involved with LR. With DPP, I know exactly where everything is. Maybe someday I'll have the patience to learn LR, but for now, I'll stick with what I know.

Oh, and I should mention that I used DPP to edit some photos this afternoon that I took in 2008. When I clicked to crop, the default setting was "Free."

Could this be because of different in-camera settings?

???

That's interesting that it worked OK with your old photos. As I said, I had a similar experience and I put it down to different camera. Can I ask if the photos you took in 2008 were taken with the same camera you're using now?

@markm1 wrote:
That's interesting that it worked OK with your old photos. As I said, I had a similar experience and I put it down to different camera. Can I ask if the photos you took in 2008 were taken with the same camera you're using now?

I do not know a lot about EXIF data standards, but check the version of the EXIF data format.  I am guessing that cropping information may have been recently added to the version that is currently in use.

I took those 2008 with a Canon Rebel (the original from 2003.)  I notice the same thing with stuff taken with my Rebel 400D.  To be fair, I haven't tried to edit anything in between those dates and stuff I shot last month.  I'll just have to do some tinkering and see what I can figure out.  

Announcements