cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP 4.6.3 Crashes when opening folder with JPEGS

HikingBob
Contributor

I've been using DPP 3.X.X for years with no problems, updated when ever a new version came out. Previous attempts to use version 4.X.X has been troublesome with constant crashes.

I just bought a 6D Mk2 and DPP 3 does not support it's raw files (and many photo editing packages still don't...but I digress), so I have to use DPP 4. I had 4.6.1 and it didn't even support the 6DII raw files, so upgraded to 4.6.3.  

When I open DPP 4.6.3 and open a folder that may contain a mix of RAW and JPEG's, DPP almost invariably crashes.These are typically JPEG files created while editing the RAW files.  

There is nothing special about the JPEG, and considering it's universalality, it's incredibly annoying that this happens.

This has been an issue since the very first versions of DPP4, but I didn't worry about it because DPP 3 worked just fine.  Others have complained about this, and it's fallen on deaf ears at Canon, which is shameful and inexcusable.

Canon, either fix DPP 4, or update DPP 3 to open the 6DII raw files!

FWIW, this is happening with Windows 10, with the most current updates.

17 REPLIES 17

Thanks, I agree that this is not a "system" issue.

FWIW, these are the pertinent specs on this system, as reported by Belarc Advisor: 3.20 gigahertz Intel Core i5-4460, 24508 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory. This is well above the minimum specs required by DPP 4.

This problem has occured with previous versions of DPP4 and on other systems. I have done uninstall/reinstall on previous versions, but not with this one. I'll do it as soon as I can and I report back.

Am I undestanding your post correctly that it only happens with JPEGs not created in-camera or by DPP?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

That appears to be the case.

Maybe its just not a universal editor since it does append recipe date to the JPEG and TIFF iles it edits.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I have the same problem. DPP 4 (various versions) crash as soon as I start it up. This is not a system problem, it's not that DPP is slow, it crashes. DPP 3 doesn't have a problem at all.

Have you tried 4.6.30.0? A similar problem that i had with earlier versions seems to have been corrected.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

That is the version I'm using that is having the problem.

HikingBob,

I have the same problem with jpgs created by GIMP.  Every other graphics program, including DPP 3, will open them, but DPP 4 will not.  It gives the "?" icon.  This posed a huge problem for me when I upgraded to DPP 4, as I use DPP to print my images on my Canon printer.  But, once I realized I could print them using DPP 3, I have used this as a workaround.

I just did some more investigating, and found the root cause of the problem.  Check the EXIF metadat for the compression type.  DPP 4 seems to be able to recognise JPG baseline DCT, but not JPG progressive DCT.  You can set this in the export options in GIMP by unchecking the "progressive" checkbox in the advanced JPG export settings.  With the checkbox not checked, DPP 4 recognizes my GIMP jpgs now.

Todd F.

Announcements