cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP 4.6.3 Crashes when opening folder with JPEGS

HikingBob
Contributor

I've been using DPP 3.X.X for years with no problems, updated when ever a new version came out. Previous attempts to use version 4.X.X has been troublesome with constant crashes.

I just bought a 6D Mk2 and DPP 3 does not support it's raw files (and many photo editing packages still don't...but I digress), so I have to use DPP 4. I had 4.6.1 and it didn't even support the 6DII raw files, so upgraded to 4.6.3.  

When I open DPP 4.6.3 and open a folder that may contain a mix of RAW and JPEG's, DPP almost invariably crashes.These are typically JPEG files created while editing the RAW files.  

There is nothing special about the JPEG, and considering it's universalality, it's incredibly annoying that this happens.

This has been an issue since the very first versions of DPP4, but I didn't worry about it because DPP 3 worked just fine.  Others have complained about this, and it's fallen on deaf ears at Canon, which is shameful and inexcusable.

Canon, either fix DPP 4, or update DPP 3 to open the 6DII raw files!

FWIW, this is happening with Windows 10, with the most current updates.

17 REPLIES 17

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@HikingBob wrote:

I've been using DPP 3.X.X for years with no problems, updated when ever a new version came out. Previous attempts to use version 4.X.X has been troublesome with constant crashes.

I just bought a 6D Mk2 and DPP 3 does not support it's raw files (and many photo editing packages still don't...but I digress), so I have to use DPP 4. I had 4.6.1 and it didn't even support the 6DII raw files, so upgraded to 4.6.3.  

When I open DPP 4.6.3 and open a folder that may contain a mix of RAW and JPEG's, DPP almost invariably crashes.These are typically JPEG files created while editing the RAW files.  

There is nothing special about the JPEG, and considering it's universalality, it's incredibly annoying that this happens.

This has been an issue since the very first versions of DPP4, but I didn't worry about it because DPP 3 worked just fine.  Others have complained about this, and it's fallen on deaf ears at Canon, which is shameful and inexcusable.

Canon, either fix DPP 4, or update DPP 3 to open the 6DII raw files!

FWIW, this is happening with Windows 10, with the most current updates.

Buy a better system.  Your hardware is the problem, not the Operating System.  I recommend 8-16GB of RAM.  A separate video card is a MUST HAVE component, otherwise DPP4 will crawl, no matter how much System RAM you have.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yeah, I don't think my "system" is the problem.  My system has all that and more, and runs more robust programs than DPP with no problem. Quick google search will show that this is a common problem, and Canon always says they can't duplicate it. Baloney.  DPP 4 doesn't "crawl" when it encounters a JPEG, it just plain crashes "DPP 4 has stopped working..." 

Thanks anyway...

@HikingBob wrote:

Yeah, I don't think my "system" is the problem.  My system has all that and more, and runs more robust programs than DPP with no problem. Quick google search will show that this is a common problem, and Canon always says they can't duplicate it. Baloney.  DPP 4 doesn't "crawl" when it encounters a JPEG, it just plain crashes "DPP 4 has stopped working..." 

Thanks anyway...

It is your system.  What are you running?

Have tried to uninstall and install it again?  Where is the folder located that you are trying to open?  In the camera?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi there, HikingBob!

I am curious if this happens with a folder that has a large quantity of JPEGs and RAWs in it. Does this happen with folders that have far fewer of them?

It is also possible specific image files in those folders are causing it. Try relocating images from the folder in small groups, opening the folder again to see if DPP crashes. If it does not, one of the images you moved could be corrupted.

Hope this helps!

Hi Mike,

There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it.  It seems to occur most often to folders that have more JPEGs than others, regardless of how many RAW files there are, or in folders that may contain only JPEGs

All photos in the files can be viewed in Windows Explorer or other editing/sorting software, so I don't think anything is "corrupted". I guess if they were corrupted, they wouldn't be viewable or able to be opened in other programs.

Also, this occurs with both folders containing images taken with 6DMk2 and with earlier cameras.  In the case of the earlier folders, DPP 3 opens them just fine, which again seems to indicate that the files are not corrupted.

This was also an issue with previous versions of DPP4, never a problem with DPP 3

I'm trying to get more specific circumstances for when this happens, but right now folders containing JPEG's is the common denominator.

Thanks.

Hi Mike,

I'm adding some screenshots to demonstrate what is happening.  This is a folder containing a large number of RAW images and 2 JPEG's, created outside of DPP4. When I scroll over the "?" it says unable to import these images.  These JPEG's can be viewed in everything else I have.

DPP4_1.jpg

This is what happens to a folder of nothing but JPEG's. Again, this folder opens just fine with DPP3, Win Explorer, or anything else.

DPP4_2.jpg

This folder contains RAW images from the 6DII, along with a TIF and JPEG created by converting RAW images with DPP 4.  It also contained JPEGs created outside of DPP4 and wouldn't open until I moved them to a separate folder (the "Edited" folder on the left).  The JPEG's in the "edited" folder are viewable and can be opened with anything else.  I'm not sure how a "corrupted" image is defined, but it would seem to me that if I can view it/edit it/print it with anything else other than DPP4, it's not corrupted.

DPP4_3.jpg

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Bob

Thank you so much for this information. I'll pass it along to attempt to get to shed some light on why this is happening. It may take a while, but if there's anything else you need help with in the meantime, please let us know.

Thanks Mike. 

4.6.30 (June 09, '17) requires 2 GHz RAM, with 4 GHz recommended; and works on Win 7 through 10. 

Without knowing the computer specs, I don't know the last computer that shipped with less than 4 GHz RAM. If the RAM and / or CPU  is weak then the system should slow to a crawl. It shouldn't crash. Any time a program crashes is a sign that there is a program coding or compatability issue.

My advise would be to remove DPP and all other Canon software completely from the computer. Then relead a fresh version from Canon.

Announcements