cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP 4.6.10 Angle bug

hdohlmann
Contributor

I have some photos where I rotate and crop the image.

But, when I return to the Image adjustment page, the image is only cropped, not rotated.

If I re-enter the Crop and Rotate tool, the image is shown both with rotation and cropping.

Am I doing something wrong here?

dpp-rotate bug 01.PNG

dpp-rotate bug 02.PNG

25 REPLIES 25

@hdohlmann wrote:

You are right, the cropping is also off, probably because the rotation is not being applied.

No, I do not have the image opened in multiple views.

Here are links to a couple of the images that does not work for me:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B92Kvd-y39zAX3gyaV8wVmpkREE

Rotated -25, closely cropped.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B92Kvd-y39zAVTNZc3Z6UUNlelk

Rotated -7, closely cropped.

It is not the negative rotation that is the issue. I tried rotating the first image +25 instead, but it is still not applied...

It won't let me see them, apparently because I don't have a YouTube account. If you like, you could try to send them to me as email attachments; I'll send you a private message with my real email address.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@hdohlmann wrote:

You are right, the cropping is also off, probably because the rotation is not being applied.

No, I do not have the image opened in multiple views.

Here are links to a couple of the images that does not work for me:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B92Kvd-y39zAX3gyaV8wVmpkREE

Rotated -25, closely cropped.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B92Kvd-y39zAVTNZc3Z6UUNlelk

Rotated -7, closely cropped.

It is not the negative rotation that is the issue. I tried rotating the first image +25 instead, but it is still not applied...

Henrik sent me the RAW files, and I tried editing them with DPP 4 (4.6.10.0) and DPP 3 (3.15.0.0). Both are the latest releases, as far as I know.

It's clear that something is wrong. I was able to apply Henrik's edits correctly to both images in DPP 3, but in DPP 4 the rotation was not applied to either image. In both cases the rotation showed in the crop/rotation window, but not when I returned to the main editing window (IOW, just what his earlier post shows). So the problem isn't something he's doing wrong or the way he has the software installed, or whatever. There must be a bug in the way that DPP 4 handles .CR2 files from the G15.

So, Canon, what's next? Does this constitute a bug report? If not, what would? If so, dare we hope that the problem will be fixed? Or will it just go on DPP4's list of known limitations, along with the maddening slowness, misleading menus, virtually hidden screen manipulators, departures from standard Windows functionality, etc.? Enquiring minds want to know - and don't necessarily want to give up and go play in Adobe's yard.

Bob

Thank you Robert for spending time on this and confirming the rotation bug.

I have reported my problems to Canon Services & Support.

Their first reaction was that it must be a local problem.

Since I can recreate the issue on several PC's and Robert have recreated it at his installation, I have replied to them with a link to this thread.

If anyone else want to try to recreate the issue, here is another Google Drive link that should hopefully now be readable by all:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B92Kvd-y39zAX3gyaV8wVmpkREE/view?usp=sharing

@Robert: Can you also reproduce the Insufficient Memory issue for img_0125 by clicking Auto under Gamma Adjust, as described in another thread?

@hdohlmann wrote:

Thank you Robert for spending time on this and confirming the rotation bug.

I have reported my problems to Canon Services & Support.

Their first reaction was that it must be a local problem.

Since I can recreate the issue on several PC's and Robert have recreated it at his installation, I have replied to them with a link to this thread.

If anyone else want to try to recreate the issue, here is another Google Drive link that should hopefully now be readable by all:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B92Kvd-y39zAX3gyaV8wVmpkREE/view?usp=sharing

@Robert: Can you also reproduce the Insufficient Memory issue for img_0125 by clicking Auto under Gamma Adjust, as described in another thread?

Yes, I reproduced that error on both images. It would certainly appear that they didn't do a very good job of testing DPP 4 on RAW files from the G15.

I've used auto gamma a fair amount in the past; but just to be sure, I tried it on a recent image from my 5D3 and on one from my wife's 7D2, and both worked with no problem.

Bob

Interesting thread.  This is about the G15?  I find it curious that such a bug affecting all photos produced by the G15 has only just now been discovered.  It's possible.  I suppose most G15 users do not try to make this type of adjustment very often, I know I don't because it tends to blur the image, or even use DPP much.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes, this is about the G15 🙂

I suppose most G15 users are not taking underwater pictures where you have to position yourself in 3 dimensions in a current and therefore does not always have the luxury of having the subject perfectly framed 🙂

I anyone else in the forum own a G15, it would help my case if they could try to reproduce the bug...

I have written to Canon Support in Denmark. They phoned me and informed me that they would report the issue to Canon Japan with a link to this thread. Don't know if that will get someone looking at it, though...

Hi,

I have the same problem with my G15 and version 4.7.20.0 of DPP.  It doesn't happen on all images but I can't find anything in common for those that don't work. The angle adjustment is recorded in the image recipe but for some reason it is ignored.

I forgot to add that I downloaded your image and was able to reproduce the problem

Thx, pseudopanax.

I can confirm the bug is still present in DPP 4.8.20 😞

I have exactly the same problem with DPP 4.87.30.0 and S110. Angle change won't apply randomly. I can not figure out what triggers this. Sometimes it also messes up aspect ratio. It looks like particular images are problematic because if the program hates the photo, it refuses to apply rotation no matter what I do. On the others angle change is applied with no problem.

Announcements