cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP 4.2.32 for Eos760d on win7pro64bit freezes the whole PC

Merlin4711
Contributor

Good Evening,

I came here to report some kind of really annoying problem. 

Imagine you have about 1900 picturs to convert (which will take about 18 hours, or 35sekunds per picture *sigh*)... and find out, that, after a not deterministic period of time passed the PC freezes silently while the batch converter is busy. It usually yield about 100 pictures before this happens. 

First I suspected my soundcard, because it had the ability to perform this kind of stunt (totally freeze with soundloop) a long time ago, but this had been patched away. 

Still, I went to "just this one program" mode (closed all, disabled all not necessary and so on) and started the processing again... and again, it made about 100 pictures and froze in a way, that all I could do was turn off the power by pressing the power button for more than three seconds.

I don't get any events in the windows event log, nothing in the dpp errorprotocol as far as I could tell, no bluescreen, nothing. Just... a complete halt (with soundloop, if sound is playing).

It happens while the Batch-Processing is active, but I manged to get this error while hand-picking pictures to convert after editing one by one. So I guess its more of a time - total-memory-used kind of problem than one, that applies to a given number of piuctures processed. 

Seriously, if these 35 seconds per cr2 to jpeg conversation does apply (I stopped some processings), I will need to have this machine run over the workday without having to be afraid that it froze the whole PC again after 100 pictures. 

I noticed that version 4.2.32 isn't the most up to date one, but... Does the Download-Site permit me to download later packages with later software bundles without having the Serialnumber of a fitting camera? And will it be able to process teh cr2 files from that camera?

If not, I have to ask you kindly to offer an advice for me about how to keep this thing from freezing. 

Some informations last: The machine in question is a Win7 Pro 64bit, containing 24gb DDR3 Ram (and as much virtual memory at the drive the pictures and the dpp is located at) and a 8 core  AMD FX-8350  cpu with ... well... badly updated bulldozer architecture. I do highlight this, because AMD already managed to make this generation of processors unable to run windows virtual PC (without ms hotfixes applied) because of ... reasons i don't know, so this might be a similiar dumb error. Oh, I do have a graphic card too, but it is totally unimpressed by the picture converting tasks (does nothing after all), so I guess it doesn't have any business to do here. 

And it will be impossible for me to perform another conversation-marathon (which may happen any time soon), if I have to kill the PC every time this happens and - even worse - need to attent the processing PC without beeing able to do anything else here during this time. 

That Machine usually tends to be surprinsingly potent in all it does, but converting pictures with DPP seems to be a pretty complicated task *sigh*

So, I hope some advice is availalbe. 

Greetings, Merlin4711

13 REPLIES 13

The early versions of DPP 4 were full of bugs, but it's now up to version 4.6. There's no basis for discussion until you get your system up to date. You will need a serial number, but that of a 760D should be fine. Unlike the early versions, recent versions of DPP 4 support almost all Rebels.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

The early versions of DPP 4 were full of bugs, but it's now up to version 4.6. There's no basis for discussion until you get your system up to date. You will need a serial number, but that of a 760D should be fine. Unlike the early versions, recent versions of DPP 4 support almost all Rebels.

I agree.  Update your system.  I would strongly advise against buy a budget laptop, or any system without a video card.

Canon's DPP software does not run very well on budget laptops,  The bottleneck seems to arise from sharing system RAM for use as video RAM, which the CPU must manage.  To make a long story short, invest a system with a 4GB video card, and you should be one step ahead of the field.  Having at least 8-16 GB of System RAM helps, too.

I recently purchased a gaming laptop for less than $1000, and DPP converts 6 RAW files to JPEG per minute.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@

Ah... Yes, getting the latest Software usually is the way to go if the current installed version does have problems. ...

So I went out and googled for DPP 4.6, got redirected to that canonwatch site which redirected me to the software section of an EOS 5D mkIV, where I could choose DPP 4.6.30 for Download. 

Then... the Serial-Number was requested, but upon entering the one from my 760D it told me 

• The serial number you have entered is incorrect, or does not belong to an applicable product.
  • Please check the product serial number and the applicable product to make sure it is correct and re-enter it in the field.

Well, that was the only serial number I do have. Yes, I'm sure its valid somehow, because it allowed me to get the version of DPP that causes the problems some time ago. 

It feels kind of awkward that they wont hand out the latest software to me just because my camera's release was a mere 2 years ago. But.... the canon-watch site does hint, that the Software there is applyable to...

• Supports EOS Kiss X9i/REBEL T7i/EOS 800D, EOS 9000D/EOS 77D, EOS M6

So no 760D for this? And why did you point out that it "support almost all Rebels"? 

Seriously, am I stuck with a version that tends to freeze the PC beacuse of reasons?

@

What do you mean with "Budget-Notbook"? There is a graphiccard inside with 4GB ddr5 ram, but its stark idle when the picture processing happens, so I cannot see how it even can influence the speed of the conversations. 

And why should I downgrade my system-ram from 24gb to 16gb? *confused*

And why should I downgrade my system-ram from 24gb to 16gb? *confused*

Merlin4711 wrote: .

@

What do you mean with "Budget-Notbook"? There is a graphiccard inside with 4GB ddr5 ram, but its stark idle when the picture processing happens, so I cannot see how it even can influence the speed of the conversations. 

No one suggested that you should "downgrade" your system.  You made no mention of a graphics card before this post.  Your hardware is still central to your issue.  AMD.

In most cases, you must configure the graphics card to enable which applications can use it.  Not every application is capable of using one, especially if you use too high of a resolution mode, or even multiple monitors.

@Merlin4711 wrote:

Seriously, what wrong here with the Forum? Over the past hour I tried to reply to these two answers at least five times, but everytime the answer disappears, afer hitting "POST".

So, short answer (again), in the hope, it will remain this time:

Tried to google for latest DPP Software, got send to the EOS 5d mkiv download section, where the 4.6.30 should be available... but upon entering the serial number of my 760d it told me the key does not fit for the product I tried to get. Even more, the internet (canonwatcher) told me that the latest software is applyable for a couple of recent cameras, but mine was missing in that list. 

So, am I stuck with a critical faulty version of DPP because my camera was released about two years ago? Seriously?

And there is a graphic card availalbe with 4gb ddr5 ram, but its stark idle when the processing happens. And I do not see any reason to downgrade my system ram from 24gb to 16gb, so I'm a bit confused about your reply. 

The DPP 4.6 instruction manual does say that it supports the "T6s/760D". Are you sure you entered the serial number correctly? You don't sound like a newbie, so I assume you know where to find it on the camera body. If it still doesn't work, call Canon Support. At least you can have some confidence that it's supposed to work.

And I just tried going to the Canon Support site and entered "T6s". It showed me the button to download DPP 4.6.30 and even the full "Solution Disk". If you can't make it work, call Canon.

Bob

Merlin4711
Contributor

So... I felt kind of encouraged to keep looking for other sources to aquire the darn software. My regions Canon Support seems to lock away later releases of the DPP so just customers with later cameras can download them.

But I found this site from canon-asia, which does contain a big compability-list too, And they did accept my cameras Serial Number and gave me access to DPP 4.6.30

It smoothly upgraded the 4.2.32 I had installed previously on my system and now already converted 329 pictures without freezing anything. 

I guess it waits till I say "works great, thank you" in that forum, and will aim for the very second after I hit "POST" to freeze too. 

Anyway, I'm still a bit sad that canon germany (canon.de) won'T offer the 4.6.30 for anyone who does not own one of the more recent camera models. Thats... no, I got my software. It might be in english, but... wait a minute, I'm already applying to a english speaking forum, so thats no downside after all.

Still, Without the hint that I should be able to use later versions of DPP I may had been sticked to the faulty version I'm afraid. So, thank you. And I still don't get, whats wrong with AMD 😛

EDIT: Ha, I KNEW it! At least it happend after a total of 550 pictures converted this time, but my error is still here. Total freeze of the whole system right in the middle of batch-converting. 

Any suggestions?

Make sure you do not have other applications competing for CPU time, like a background virus scan.

@Merlin4711 wrote:

So... I felt kind of encouraged to keep looking for other sources to aquire the darn software. My regions Canon Support seems to lock away later releases of the DPP so just customers with later cameras can download them.

But I found this site from canon-asia, which does contain a big compability-list too, And they did accept my cameras Serial Number and gave me access to DPP 4.6.30

It smoothly upgraded the 4.2.32 I had installed previously on my system and now already converted 329 pictures without freezing anything. 

I guess it waits till I say "works great, thank you" in that forum, and will aim for the very second after I hit "POST" to freeze too. 

Anyway, I'm still a bit sad that canon germany (canon.de) won'T offer the 4.6.30 for anyone who does not own one of the more recent camera models. Thats... no, I got my software. It might be in english, but... wait a minute, I'm already applying to a english speaking forum, so thats no downside after all.

Still, Without the hint that I should be able to use later versions of DPP I may had been sticked to the faulty version I'm afraid. So, thank you. And I still don't get, whats wrong with AMD 😛

EDIT: Ha, I KNEW it! At least it happend after a total of 550 pictures converted this time, but my error is still here. Total freeze of the whole system right in the middle of batch-converting. 

Any suggestions?

I just downloaded DPP 4.6.30 from the Canon USA site, using the serial number from my 50D (which is a much older camera than your 760D). I then started the installation, and German was shown as one of the languages I could select. So if the German version is what you want, it appears that you should be able to get it.

Bob

I don't mind if its English or German and I didn't look for it at Canon USA site (the Asia one came first and delivered)...

...but I do mind that it does freeze after some time too. I may need to change the title of this thread, because now its the 4.6.30 that behave in an unwanted fashion. But besides upgrading the software's version there isn't much I can do, isn't it?

Oh, Mr. Waddizzle did respond too; turning the realtime virusscanner off is something I honestly didn't think off yet... I'll give it a try. 

And... there is something I will not try out now, but I observed the dpp4batch.exe inside windwos resource monitor as it jumped from less than 1GB of used/reserved memory up to about 1,6GB. I do wonder if this is a 64bit application... I do hope so, because it does not have a large address aware flag set, which would cause a 32bit application do strange things when it consumes more than 2gb of memory. Well, thats generalized, and usually all that happens is a Crash To Desktop and a strange memory warning, so I will add a decent question to wrap up this topic: 

Did anyone of you ever observe the dpp4batch.exe eating way more than 2 (or even 3.9)GB of memory without having trouble? If thats so, I can let go this trace. 

Announcements