cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting CR2

Taiyosan
Contributor

Just discovered that the Canon RAW files shot with a Canon 20D in 2005, are no longer openable. (is that a word?) I have a few thousand of them and in '05, '06, etc., i opened them, worked on them in PS and saved them. Now i want to work with some of them and they are not viewable, openable, etc. Not with Canon software, Adobe DNG Converter, etc.. I don't know what to do ... do one of you know what to do? Who to ask? Where to search? Have you had this kinda problem?

The larger question, how did 5000 Canon files get corrupted and will that happen again as the years go by (yes, i'm converting them to dng, but not so at that time) ??? i've no idea how to address. Yes, all files are backed up in triplicate but they are copies of the unopenable files - sigh ... all help appreciated.

Thank you,

Taiyo

41 REPLIES 41

@Waddizzle wrote:

I believe what has happned is that the two Operating Systems have swapped roles.  MS Windows used to be an application that ran under MS-DOS.  I think it began with Windows 7, the command prompt is now an application that runs under Windows.

That's essentially correct, but the change happened long before Windows 7.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

I believe what has happned is that the two Operating Systems have swapped roles.  MS Windows used to be an application that ran under MS-DOS.  I think it began with Windows 7, the command prompt is now an application that runs under Windows.

That's essentially correct, but the change happened long before Windows 7.

Yes, but MS-DOS was always still available to users and applications. The change was more gradual.  They couldn't just take MS-DOS away overnight because that would have rendered too many third party applications completely unusable.

With the introduction of Windows Vista/7 Microsoft stopped refering to a "MS-DOS" prompt window, and began calling it a "Command Prompt" window.   I believe that's when MS-DOS was officially discontinued, and no longer supported.  Removing MS-DOS is why you couldn't migrate XP applications to Windows 7.  All support for unmanaged MS-DOS code was discontinued with Windows 8/8.1

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

mcc0403
Apprentice

Help. I have a Canon Rebel SL1. We by accident took all of my daughters birth photos in CR2 format. I have googled and tried converting to JPGs using the software CR2converter.com -- but the pictures became all distorted (and it wouldnt do it in bulk even though it said it would). I have also tried to download DPP as I saw that in this forum but it says it cannot download due to my operating system (Windows 10). What else can I do? I need to convert them as I can't even view them on my computer because of the file type. What is the best solution?

@mcc0403 wrote:

Help. I have a Canon Rebel SL1. We by accident took all of my daughters birth photos in CR2 format. I have googled and tried converting to JPGs using the software CR2converter.com -- but the pictures became all distorted (and it wouldnt do it in bulk even though it said it would). I have also tried to download DPP as I saw that in this forum but it says it cannot download due to my operating system (Windows 10). What else can I do? I need to convert them as I can't even view them on my computer because of the file type. What is the best solution?

Digital Photo Professional, a photo editor available in two versions and provided with all Canon DSLRs. Google for more details or search the Canon Web site.

Third-party photo editors are also available, some of them widely used and well respected, that are capable of doing the conversion.

Bob

2017_0704 118.JPG

Old geezer at July 4 parade: Glenside, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania.

Photo by the geezer's wife, Martha.

Shot in RAW, converted to JPEG by DPP 4 running under Windows 10 Pro.

Bob

great shot by the wife!!! May I ask what the resulting image filesize was? I have TRIED using DPP so many times without any real useable success. 😞 All I want to do is get an image of the moon, and crop /convert it) 

Freelance fototaker in WNY and SW Spain
http://www.fototaker.net
Portfolio at https://500px.com/fototaker1
my wifey's images https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/sheilak-lee

@fototaker70D wrote:

great shot by the wife!!! May I ask what the resulting image filesize was? I have TRIED using DPP so many times without any real useable success. 😞 All I want to do is get an image of the moon, and crop /convert it) 

As displayed, it's 420 x 600 pixels. The RAW file from which it was converted (to JPEG using DPP 4 on a Lenovo laptop with Windows 10 Pro) is about 27 megabytes. The picture was taken with a 7D Mark II.

Bob

Sorry I've been AWoL from this. A few months ago I DID DL a few 3rd party apps/prgs and they also were useless. No idea now of the names, but all were for solely converting a canon raw cr2 file. while each DID convert the file, the resulting file(s) were useless (unviewable, color cast off, tiny filesize, etc etc etc. and I am STILL without a means of properly correctly converting cr2 files to a jpg or anything else. thanks
Freelance fototaker in WNY and SW Spain
http://www.fototaker.net
Portfolio at https://500px.com/fototaker1
my wifey's images https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/sheilak-lee

@mcc0403 wrote:

That sounds like a bug with the web site page for th SL-1.  You should be able to download DPP for Windows 10.  I recently downloaded it for a new Windows 10 laptop, but that was for a 6D.  I cannot test the page myself because I'm traveling, and do not have my Windows 10 machine.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have three disks that came with camera: 1. Camera Instruction Manual  2. Software instruction manual 3. EOS Digital Solutions Disk.   I am assuming the 3rd one is the one that is the software to actually install DPP?  THe problem is when I load it is says "the wrong volume is inserted"  - I am assuming this is because I have Windows 10. I also went to th Canon website and tried to install and it said it couldn't. Not sure what else to do.   If you have any advice please dumb it down for me, I am really new to all this and don't know the lingo. thanks.

What website did you use to download it for Windows 10? Do you have a specific link?

Announcements