cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS 6D also detected as Rebel XTi camera device?

ddbear
Apprentice

In Winows 7 x64 whenever I plug in my EOS 6D, the EOS 6D device plus the Rebel XTi device shows up.

I used to have a Rebel XTi, but that's the camera I upgraded.  I don't know why Windows thinks the EOS 6D is both a Rebel XTi and a 6D.

The Rebel XTi device is detected even when the Camera switch is in the OFF position and plugged into USB.  The 6D device is only detected when the switch is in the ON position.

I installed the 6D software from the CD but I didn't see any prior Canon software to uninstall first.

How do I stop the XTi device from showing up?

3 REPLIES 3

hsbn
Whiz

I have this problem when I use the same memory card for both camera. But after doing a low level format in the 6D, the problem disappear. I don't know if it is true for your case or not, but you can give it a try. I think this is more of the OS problem than the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Thanks hsbn, but I never used the memory card in the Rebel XTi.  Instead it is probably related to some leftover software driver on Windows from using the previous camera, but I would need Canon techies to tell me where to delete these left behind remnants so it doesn't keep popping up the wrong camera device.

ddbear,

To delete the EOS Rebel XTi, you would want to open the Device Manager the next time it's connected.  Then Find the cameras in the Device Manager.  Then you right click on the camera and click Remove or Uninstall.  This will remove the device from within your computer.  Leave your EOS 6D installed to you can still connect.

If this is an urgent request, please contact us directly using our support and service site. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements