cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Install Canon Software on my mac

MaryamDeSoto
Contributor

Hello

I recently bought an EOS Canon Rebel T6 and it's been imposible to install any of canon softwares to my mac. I went to canon's support page and tried to install the latest updates and that didn't work either. 

What happens to me is after I launch the installation a box appears saying extracting files, after that nothing happens. 

Can someone help me with this?

I have OSX El Capitan.

Without this I can't use my camera's wifi option cause there's no way to sync my camera without having canon's softwares install on my computer.

16 REPLIES 16

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi MaryamDeSoto,

Thank you for posting.

From your description, it sounds like the Gatekeeper, included on your Mac, is preventing the installation of software.

To resolve this, please delete all software associated with "SOFTWARESOFTWARESOFTWARE Mac OS X", then empty your trashcan and restart your computer. Next, you'll need to set your computer's Gatekeeper to allow the installation of software from third-party sites, such as Canon's. Here's how to do this:

The Gatekeeper options are found in Apple menu.

1. In the Apple menu, choose System Preferences then choose Security & Privacy, then choose the "General" tab.
  2. Under the under the header "Allow applications downloaded from:", choose "Anywhere".
  3. With that setting enabled, please download the software from our site, once more. It should install without difficulty.

The Gatekeeper settings are an important component in your computer's security. As a safety precaution, once you've installed all the software and program updates from our website, I recommend returning the Gatekeeper to its more restrictive settings.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have the same problem - MacBookPro 2016 - OSX 10.12.6

EU3.7.0 will not install.  I can get through the installation initiation, but it stops installing. - "Universalinstaller quit unexpectedly"

I also followed your recommendation of deleting "SOFTWARESOFTWARESOFTWARE Mac OS X" - however a search for this string in Finder gave no files or folders with that name.

I have rebooted and downloaded the EU3.7.0 twice.

Thanks in advance

This solution doesn’t work for me because I do not. Have an “anywhere” option listed under the heading “allow apps downloaded from.” The only options I have are “App store” and “App store and identified developers.” The later is selected, but I still cannot install EU3.7.0 on my iMac.

MSZ
Apprentice
I should add that my OS is High Sierra ver. 10.13.2.

3 people, 3 different cameras, 3 different computers, and the last post resurrecting a 2 month old thread.

The best way to receive assistance is to start your own thread.  This gives your issue the visibility and attention it deserves.

It also allows others looking for help to find and follow solutions specific to their hardware, software, OS, environment, etc. 

Requests for assitance shoud include:

-The model of your Canon product

-The hardware or (Computer OS) if applicable

-A complete description of the issue or behavior you are experiencing

-The exact error message and the steps to reproduce the issue

-Other information: Specific details and/or any troubleshooting you have performed to dianose the issue or behavior

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Actually, shadowsports, starting a new thread isn't always the answer. If the exact problem is occurring, then a new thread isn't needed. Usually, if the prescribed troubleshooting methods have failed, the best course of action is to contact technical support directly, as one-on-one troubleshooting would be best. 

Support can be reached by phone during normal business hours by calling 1-800-828-4040/1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666), or online (for US only) by clicking HERESupport at Canon USA is always free and is right here in the United States. 

For those who are not in the USA, you'll want to reach out to Canon in your area for support by clicking HERE.

Greetings,

Stephen, I do not neccessarily agree for the exact reasons I posted above.  Different OS, Different hardware environments.  Connecting via cable, or wirelessly.  Each introduces different variables.The software/hardware environments are not identical. 

OP = Runs installer starts but nothing happens under El Capitan OS

photodocfl = Running OS Sierra, his error "Universalinstaller quit unexpectedly"

MSZ = No idea what OS he is running.  His description, "options I have are “App store” and “App store and identified developers".  This reference has to do with permissions in iTunes.  Only allowing Apple created apps or 3rd party Apps who's developers have passed certification.  This does not affect a users ability to install printer software.     

If I were a MAC user running HighSierra, visitng the forums for the first time and was serching for a specific solution, how could I do that with multiple users, each with a different software environment posting in the same thread.  It makes searching for solutions more difficult in my opinion.  It also makes threads harder to follow as the solutions can differ on a case by case basis.      

I 100% agree with your point about contacting support , as this can often get an issue resolved quickly.  

Cheers

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

"Stephen, I do not neccessarily agree for the exact reasons I posted above.  Different OS, Different hardware environments.  Connecting via cable, or wirelessly.  Each introduces different variables.The software/hardware environments are not identical."

Stephen, I agree with ShadowSports on this point.  I have moderated a technical forum for over a decade.  It works out best over the long run if every user starts their own topic.  Whenever someone piggybacks onto an existing thread, then the original poster is likely to get email alerts for someone else's issue.  This is bad for business.

Also, encouraging user to start their own thread makes it easier for users to search for solutions.  It is easier to find a solution in a thread that is a dozen replies long than one that is dozens of  replies in length.  It is also easier for members to follow a thread, and assist users in finding a solution.  I cannot speak for others, but i admit that i have no desire to sift through dozens of replies to find where someone began posting comments on a thread.

Because of the "one OP, one topic" policy, we strove to make sure every thread had a marked answer.  While this is not always possible, beause the OP may abandon the thread, it is not as hard a goal to achieve as it may seem..  While we encouraged OPs to stick to one topic, we did recognize that it was their thread, and they were free to take in whatever direction they wished.

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I am having the same problem but in Mojave. There is no option in system preferences to choose "anywhere".

I can't install the CRDInstaller or the RPFMInstaller. It extracts the files then nothing happens. 

Other installers work fine, do the installers need an update?

Cheers

Announcements