Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

Can't Install Canon Software on my mac

Hello

I recently bought an EOS Canon Rebel T6 and it's been imposible to install any of canon softwares to my mac. I went to canon's support page and tried to install the latest updates and that didn't work either. 

What happens to me is after I launch the installation a box appears saying extracting files, after that nothing happens. 

Can someone help me with this?

I have OSX El Capitan.

Without this I can't use my camera's wifi option cause there's no way to sync my camera without having canon's softwares install on my computer.

Highlighted
Product Expert

Re: Can't Install Canon Software on my mac

Hi MaryamDeSoto,

Thank you for posting.

From your description, it sounds like the Gatekeeper, included on your Mac, is preventing the installation of software.

To resolve this, please delete all software associated with "SOFTWARESOFTWARESOFTWARE Mac OS X", then empty your trashcan and restart your computer. Next, you'll need to set your computer's Gatekeeper to allow the installation of software from third-party sites, such as Canon's. Here's how to do this:

The Gatekeeper options are found in Apple menu.

1. In the Apple menu, choose System Preferences then choose Security & Privacy, then choose the "General" tab.
  2. Under the under the header "Allow applications downloaded from:", choose "Anywhere".
  3. With that setting enabled, please download the software from our site, once more. It should install without difficulty.

The Gatekeeper settings are an important component in your computer's security. As a safety precaution, once you've installed all the software and program updates from our website, I recommend returning the Gatekeeper to its more restrictive settings.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.