cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Edit White Balance...etc in DPP 4.5

playinglife
Apprentice

I *just* got my EOS Rebel T6 today. Google has not helped me figure out this problem. I'm sure it's something stupid simple, but I haven't found an answer.

I can crop and mess around with the color adjustments, but I cannot edit white balance, contrast, shadow, highlight....etc in DPP 4.5

I'm running windows 10 and don't have any other issues with the software. I've uninstalled and reinstalled.

There is a drop down menu under white balance and picture styles, but it's not active. It's stuck on (shot settings.)

I'm attaching a screen cap. Any help is appreciated! I'm going a bit crazy here.

dpp.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The menu that you're in is intended for editing of RAW (.CR2) files. If you're editing a .JPG file, you need to be in the menu two tabs to the right (the icon that looks a bit like a graph). If that is what you're doing, and if you go to that menu, you'll probably start to see why we invariably recommend to the participants in this forum that they always shoot in RAW mode.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

The menu that you're in is intended for editing of RAW (.CR2) files. If you're editing a .JPG file, you need to be in the menu two tabs to the right (the icon that looks a bit like a graph). If that is what you're doing, and if you go to that menu, you'll probably start to see why we invariably recommend to the participants in this forum that they always shoot in RAW mode.

Bob

Aha! I knew it would be an easy fix. I'm mostly shooting product photos for an online based business. Most of the time, I don't need very high resolution images, but I'll mess around with some RAW files and see if it's worth the file space.

Thank you!

If you always have to mess with the White Balance I suggest you get something like a WhiBal and shoot with the correct balance, that way you can shoot JPEG and not have to mess with it.

@playinglife wrote:

Aha! I knew it would be an easy fix. I'm mostly shooting product photos for an online based business. Most of the time, I don't need very high resolution images, but I'll mess around with some RAW files and see if it's worth the file space.

Thank you!

Actually, you should decide if it's worth the image quality.  You can perform more sophisticated edits with RAW files.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I definitely will for images I will be printing. But for product photos of yarn for my online shop, a high res jpeg is probably sufficient.

I just installed Canon DPP 4 and am not too savy with all this computer stuff. I am having the same problem. I am editing in jpeg. What menu is two tabs to the right that I should be editing under? I am an old film buff. Please help.

Thank you

@MPA wrote:

I just installed Canon DPP 4 and am not too savy with all this computer stuff. I am having the same problem. I am editing in jpeg. What menu is two tabs to the right that I should be editing under? I am an old film buff. Please help.

Thank you

The middle tab of the second row of the "Tool palette". I guess your reference is to my earlier message in this thread (posted 11/30/2016). Note also my point about the desirability of using RAW mode.

Bob

Thanks for your help. I couldn't get the program to work for me. Can the photos be adjusted in DPP from JPEG to RAW or do I have to change the setting on my camera? If I click on help button nothing the program does not respond. DPP 4 has a lot more options than the old DPP program I had installed.

@MPA wrote:
Thanks for your help. I couldn't get the program to work for me. Can the photos be adjusted in DPP from JPEG to RAW or do I have to change the setting on my camera? If I click on help button nothing the program does not respond. DPP 4 has a lot more options than the old DPP program I had installed.

DPP can convert RAW files to JPEG, but a JPEG file can't be converted to RAW. You have to set the camera to shoot in RAW mode. It's always good to shoot in RAW, because not much editing can be done on a JPEG file.

Bob
Announcements