cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Connect App User Guide

npsit
Contributor

Where is the User Guide for the Camera Connect App? Also, why doesn't his app transfer images with the location information?

That being said, I have successfully installed and used the app with my G7X. My informal User Guide for using this app is as follows. Any suggested "improvements" to this guide would be appreciated.

Getting Started and 1st Time Connecting

1. Install the "Canon Camera Connect" app on your smartphone.
  2. On your camera in the "Change Camera Settings" Menu, select "Wi-Fi Settings"
  • Select "Reset Settings" to set the Wi-Fi settings to the default. (I suggest this just to make sure all settings are cleared).
  • Turn Password to "On" (if desired).
  • Select "Change Device Nickname" and enter a name for your camera, i.e., “My Camera”.
  • Exit Camera Settings menu.
  1. Close the Camera Connect app if it is still open on your smartphone.
  2. Press the "Mobile Device Connect" button on camera.
  3. Register a designation for one-touch connection by selecting smartphone symbol.
  4. On your smartphone, go to Wi-Fi settings and select the Canon Wi-Fi SSID hotspot from list.
  5. Using the password displayed on the camera, enter the password on your phone's Wi-Fi setting (if password is turned on in item 2 above).
  6. Be patient waiting for camera/phone to make a Wi-Fi connection.
  7. Once connected, launch Camera Connect app on your smartphone. Note:Things seem to work best if you launch the app after you have connected to the camera Wi-Fi.
  8. Select your device on the camera,i.e., "iPhone" in my case.
  9. If everything is connected properly, the smartphone app should show your camera's name at the bottom of the app screen (Success!). Note: if you press the ON/OFF button on your camera, the connection will be lost. Now you should now only work within the phone app.After you have completed the Getting Started steps above, in the future you only need to do the following steps to use Camera Connect.
Connecting to Camera
  1. Close Canon Camera Connect app if it is still open on your smartphone.
  2. Press "Mobile Device Connect" button on camera.
  3. Using your smartphone, go to Wi-Fi settings and select the Canon Wi-Fi SSID hotspot.
  4. Once connected, launch Camera Connect app on your smartphone. Note: It seems that things work best when you launch the app after you have connected to camera Wi-Fi.
  5. The camera/phone should automatically connect.Camera Connect has three button options, “Images on camera”, “Remote Shooting”, and “Location information”.Images on camera
  6. Use this selection to transfer images from the camera to your phone.
Using the Camera Connect App
  1. Connect the camera to your phone and launch Camera Connect app.
  2. Select “Images on camera” button on the app.
  3. Camera images will be displayed on the phone. Note: If you have added location information to photos, a small satellite symbol will be displayed in the top left corner of each photo that has gps data attached.
  4. Select a photo you wish to transfer and then hit phone symbol on the bottom of the screen to transfer image. Note: I haven't yet figured out how to transfer several images a once.
  5. When transferring photos via this option in Camera Connect, location information is not transferred (see comments below in "Location information" section.Remote Shooting
  6. Use this selection to remotely operate the camera with your phone.
Remote Shooting 
  1. Connect the camera to your phone and launch Camera Connect app.
  2. Select “Remote Shooting” button on the app.
  3. The camera lens will automatically come out and a live image will be displayed on the phone.
  4. You can zoom in/out and trigger the shutter via your Camera Connect app.
  5. When operating via Remote Shooting, the camera only works in “P” mode.
  6. Movie recording is not possible in Remote Shooting.Location information
  7. Use this selection to add the location information to images on the camera. The process involves first telling your phone to start logging locations, by date and time, and then later adding this location information to images with matching dates and time. For this feature to work, the camera needs to have the same date and time as your phone (Use camera Settings to change the date and time on your camera). There are two choices within the Location Information:
  • Begin (End) Logging: Select this button to start or stop you camera from logging location information. You need to start the logging prior to taking photos that you wish to tag with location information. Note that you do not need to have the camera connected for this step and the logging will continue even when the Camera Connect app is closed. Also note that phone logging will increase the battery usage on your phone. After you have taken your photos with your camera, select End Logging to stop phone logging.
  • Send Location Information: Connect the camera to your phone (Make sure you have already closed the app on your phone before starting the connect steps) and select this button to add location information to images taken on the camera while your phone was set to location logging. After you have done this, you can go to “Images on the Camera” button to review the images – Those with location information will have a small satellite symbol displayed on the top left of the screen. Note that all photos transferred with the “Images on the Camera” transfer function will not transfer the logging information. You need to transfer the images directly off the SD Card via an SD card camera reader cable to your phone or to your computer in order to transfer the images with location information. (Hopefully Canon will change this limitation some day)

114 REPLIES 114

Is it still the case that Camera Connect doesn’t transfer gps info by WiFi? Only SD card? That would make gps almost useless. 

The gps log gets wiped out each time logging starts!! GPS logging with the app is useless for me. I will investigate 3rd party gps tagging apps. This from customer support:

——-

Dear Mr. Smith,

Thank you for contacting Canon product support in regards to geotagging photos with the PowerShot SX540 HS.  I am happy to assist you.

Before shooting, please make sure the date and time and your home time zone are set correctly.  Additionally, in [Time Zone], specify any shooting destinations that are in other time zones.  If the date and time on the GPS location log and the photo(s) taken on the camera do not match, no GPS information will be available.  GPS information display is not available for images that lack this information.  [--] is shown instead of numerical values for items not available on your smartphone or items not recorded correctly.

NOTE:  If the smartphones GPS fails, you will have a gap.  The smartphone is tracking the GPS signal, and our app is recording this data from your smartphone.

I understand that you are starting and stopping the Location Logging function in the Camera Connect app several times during one outing to save on battery.  However, as you have thought, the Location Logging function only stores one log.  When you start a new location log, the previous one is automatically overwritten.  Do not stop Location Logging until you are finished taking pictures.

Before taking any pictures with the PowerShot SX540 HS you will launch our app on your smartphone and start the Location Logging.  Then, when they are later connected, the GPS information can be transferred to your captured pictures. 

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Chris
Technical Support Representative

seandx
Contributor
I am using Canon EOS 70D.

seandx
Contributor
I'm using EOS 70D. Whether it is connected to my camera or not, it show 3 menu items: Images on Camera, Remote shooting, & Camera settings. I also uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Any other tips?

I don't believe the type of camera affects what is displayed on CC's home screen. As I indicated before, my CC app does not display a "Camera settings" button. My app shows the same three buttons on both my iPhone as well as my iPad.

It is interesting that the iTunes Store shows CC with 4 buttons, my three buttons and the Camera settings button. My app automatically updated a month or so ago so I don't know why the iTines screen shots are different.

seandx
Contributor
My theory is that Canon does not wanna make location information easy to use to drive gps module sales

I doubt the Canon's limited support for CameraConnect is to drive their gos module sales. It is obvious though that they have not put much effort into a tool that can be very useful. A user guide for CC is essentially non existent and the inability for the app to transfer images WITH GPS INFO ATTACHED demonstrates a lack of interest in supporting the app. They have updated the app (primary bug fixes) 4 times in 2015.

seandx
Contributor
I just got information from Canon tech support, location information is not supported for EOS 70D. It is available for Powershot. I am very disappointed to say the least.

LisaBadalamenti
Apprentice

I had no problem installing the app and connecting to my Rebel t6i when I first purchased late last year. I have since gotten a new iPhone 6s and I cannot seem to get the app to function properly. I have deleted and reinstalled the app, re-synced with the wifi encryption key, and now the issue I am having is when actually opening the app the images do not seem to load. Is this an easy fix? Am I doing something wrong? 

Thank you!

Lisa

Hi - did you manage to solve this issue?
I have got a new iphone 6S and can't save the photos from the canon connect app to my phone.

The camera connects fine to the phone and I can see the photos in the app but when I press the download/save button it says: 'Access to the picture is not permitted. In the [settings] applicaiton, from [privacy], permit access to the picture.'

I've checked out the privacy settings on the iphone and can't see there's anything to do.

It all worked fine on my last phone which was an iphone 6

Thanks

Announcements