cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug in Digital Photo Professional 4

son_of_man
Contributor

Picture turns purple at the left and right edge after a raw conversion.

The first image is converted from Adobe lightroom, and the second image is converted with latest DPP. Notice the slight purple coloring at the very right edge.

I only adjusted color temperature, de-noise options and lens corrections (vignetting).

Please let me know if there's any workarounds on this.

Thanks!

IMG_6331.jpg

IMG_6331.jpg

13 REPLIES 13

son_of_man
Contributor
Further investigation shows this purple edge only comes up when I turn up "Reduce Chrominance Noise", this instance it has this option turned all the way to 20.

Greetings,

If this happens in LR and DPP, why do you think its a bug in DPP?  None of my RAW files turn purple if I slide Reduce Chromiance slider all the way down to 20.  Have no idea what color temp you used.  Do I need to convert to reproduce? 

We need some more details.

Suggest you post original image of "grassy knoll" and provide details about the shot, your system specs and OS.  All I see are some purple blobs on my screen with what looks like noise, blades of grass and some trees.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi there,

The purple edge does NOT happen in LR, which is why I suspect it's a DPP bug. 

Bug cannot be reproduced in jpeg images, must be RAW. I'm using a color temperature around 5300K.

I was using a 6D, firmware 1.1.3, and now processing with Windows 10, and DPP 4.7.2, image is shot @ iso 1600, 1/400s,  f7.3

There is a similar color toned image @ iso 200, 1/400s, f8, color temperature is around 5800K that showed the same effect, see below.

I have tried similar processing on my 5D Mark II, no such effect occurs. So you probably can't reproduce it on your camera.

The original picture won't matter here because this is the only spot that has this problem, left and right edges. purple on right edge is more pronounced. Aspect ratio is 3:2 landscape of course.

_MG_0001_Canon.jpg

Same effect does occur with firmware 1.1.8 as well.

Peter
Authority
Authority
Upload a raw sample.
I get a purple line at the bottom with my 6D when shooting in Live view. I asked the makers of my raw converter to remove one pixel line. I wrote about it here once.

Thanks for that info.

I posted the raw file here, let me know if you guys can see it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1G3tFmDiLeeipFjO7CJVEaAt7NovJXVnr

son_of_man wrote:

Thanks for that info.

I posted the raw file here, let me know if you guys can see it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1G3tFmDiLeeipFjO7CJVEaAt7NovJXVnr

I opened it in DPP 4.7.20 and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I did an auto gamma adjustment on it and still don't.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

HI Bob,

Thanks for the info, did you try turning the chrominance noise to 20 though? It's in the "Adjust Image Details" tab.

Thanks again!

@son_of_man wrote:

HI Bob,

Thanks for the info, did you try turning the chrominance noise to 20 though? It's in the "Adjust Image Details" tab.

Thanks again!

OK, I turned the chrominance noise reduction up to 20. It made the picture a little less smooth overall and the waves a little more contrasty, but had no effect on the colors that I could see.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements