cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best approach to correct for lens distortions RAW

peter460
Contributor

Having a 6D Mk2 I can either correct for lens distortions ( here I refer to chromatic aberations , vignetting, dispersion, and geometric distortions in general )  in the camera and or in DPP. Even in DPP one can use the optimiser or manuall set the amount of corrections.  Now is there a difference between doing it on the camera ( using Canon len data )  or in DPP . Which way is the most "correct - scientific " way   and is the default setting technically the best

PEter

3 REPLIES 3

Does it make a difference? I would have thought not. Anything the camera does can be undone in DPP, can't it?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Somewhere I saw reading something about the in camera corrections are not as complete as DPP but am unable to confirm. Doing some in camera  corrections also limits some other camera features  

@peter460 wrote:

Somewhere I saw reading something about the in camera corrections are not as complete as DPP but am unable to confirm. Doing some in camera  corrections also limits some other camera features  

I would think that the only compelling reason for in-camera correction would be that you're planning to save a camera-produced JPEG.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements