cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apparent DPP4 bug

Several years ago I noticed that some of my .JPG files would sometimes cause recent (at the time) versions of Digital Photo Professional to crash. (This was before DPP4; I think it was even before DPP3.) I reported the problem to Canon, but they just sort of hemmed and hawed, the ultimate message being that they either couldn't reproduce the problem or couldn't be responsible for non-conforming JPEGs - notwithstanding the fact that the images had been worked on only with editors that they wrote or provided with their cameras at the time. That problem has continued and been a nuisance to me ever since, over countless DPP revisions. (Less of a nuisance that it could have been, to be sure, because I now shoot only in RAW.)

But now I may have come across a way to demonstrate the problem, or one similar to it, rather definitively. This image was taken in October of 2005 with a Powershot G5. It is, I believe, exactly as it came from the camera. (It had contained a reversible edit, a non-standard crop, but I removed it.) DPP 3.15.0.0 opens the file without complaint; DPP 4.6.10.0 refuses to open it and displays it only as a large question mark. At a minimum, this seems to indicate that DPP4 contains a bug that DPP3 either doesn't have or doesn't exhibit consistently. Whether it's related to my longstanding problem with the editor crashing isn't clear, but I think one has to suspect that it is.

Jellyfish-orig.JPG

So has anyone else seen anything similar? Moderators, is Canon willing to look into this? (The image is in my public album. My editing attempts took place on a rather powerful Lenovo laptop running Windows 10.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
6 REPLIES 6

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi RobertTheFat,

Thanks for posting.

Digital Photo Professional, versions 4 + are not compatible with earlier cameras like the PowerShot G5. For a list of compatible cameras for DPP 4.5, please click here.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have tried three times to reply to Richard's message, and each time my reply has vanished immediately. What's going on??

OK, I've been able to edit this message once, so I'll try one last time.

No, the facts don't square with Richard's explanation. What I didn't think to mention in my original post is that the file that failed is one of 25 in the folder, all of them taken with either my G5 or my wife's S50. And DPP 4.6 (not 4.5) has no trouble reading any of the other 24.

Unlike Canon's various RAW formats, the JPEG spec isn't proprietary. Any editor should be able to read any conforming JPEG file. The only way to prevent it would be to cripple the software by having it check the Exif data for unsupported cameras. And clearly that wasn't done, or the other files would have failed too. One other thing I didn't mention is that if I use DPP 3 to "convert & save" the offending file, the resulting output JPEG can be read by DPP 4.

Face it: there does appear to be a bug in DPP 4.

Bob

Hello RobertTheFat, 

Thank you for letting us know the results of your testing of this issue.  Your notes are forwarded to our technical engineering team for review.  Again, we thank you for helping us improve the functionality of our products and we hope you have a great day. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Avondale
Apprentice

I had the problem as soon as I started using 3. 

At first OK with jpg files in the folder with 4 but then started crash

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Several years ago I noticed that some of my .JPG files would sometimes cause recent (at the time) versions of Digital Photo Professional to crash. (This was before DPP4; I think it was even before DPP3.) I reported the problem to Canon, but they just sort of hemmed and hawed, the ultimate message being that they either couldn't reproduce the problem or couldn't be responsible for non-conforming JPEGs - notwithstanding the fact that the images had been worked on only with editors that they wrote or provided with their cameras at the time. That problem has continued and been a nuisance to me ever since, over countless DPP revisions. (Less of a nuisance that it could have been, to be sure, because I now shoot only in RAW.)

But now I may have come across a way to demonstrate the problem, or one similar to it, rather definitively. This image was taken in October of 2005 with a Powershot G5. It is, I believe, exactly as it came from the camera. (It had contained a reversible edit, a non-standard crop, but I removed it.) DPP 3.15.0.0 opens the file without complaint; DPP 4.6.10.0 refuses to open it and displays it only as a large question mark. At a minimum, this seems to indicate that DPP4 contains a bug that DPP3 either doesn't have or doesn't exhibit consistently. Whether it's related to my longstanding problem with the editor crashing isn't clear, but I think one has to suspect that it is.

Jellyfish-orig.JPG

So has anyone else seen anything similar? Moderators, is Canon willing to look into this? (The image is in my public album. My editing attempts took place on a rather powerful Lenovo laptop running Windows 10.)

I have since re-visited this issue using DPP 4.6.30 and am unable to reproduce the editing problem described above. It appears that the problem may have been corrected in the later version. I mention it now because there are one or two ongoing threads describing superficially similar problems with DPP 4.

Bob

Make Robert a "Lord of Light", and send this guy a new camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements