cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show Your Most Difficult Picture You Have Yet Taken

diverhank
Authority

I ran across a picture I took a while back.  This, by far, was the most difficult picture that I took...I was chasing after two western swallow tail butterflies involved in a courtship dance above an open grass field...I did it after almost tripping and falling down several times...

Why It was Difficult:

1. Butterflies are fast and totally unpredictable in changing direction

2. 400mm FL view is very narrow on the viewfinder making tracking fast erratic objects like butterflies a real challenge

3. The depth of field is very thin...you've got to nail focus fast and snap the shot fast.

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 400mm f/5.6L, Canon 25mm extension tube @ 400mm; f/6.3; 1/1250; ISO 800, AI Servo, center point with 8 assists, Case 5

13052117814_efdf7796b2_b.jpg

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
20 REPLIES 20

fatcat
Rising Star

Diver,

that IS very good.  I actually tried the same thing w/ the same butterflies engaged in the same activity.  NONE of them came out in focus.  I just thought it was because I don't really know how to get a great macro shot yet.  This one is very nice.  Now  now what kind of butterfyl that is with the blue tail.  I planted a bunch of milkweed this yr to attract monarchs, and saw the 1st one   in 10 yrs.  So wish me some good luck.  Thanks for sharing this diverhank, now I know that this WAS a difficult shot and not me feeling like a klutz.  lol

It would be a miracle to see 2 monarchs at the same time.  They are in decline because everyone that moves here from california and cuts down all the food for them, like milkweed, which is actually very pretty.

So can I ask you where do you "store" your pcs, on the computer? or do you transfer them somewhere for safe keeping.  Then when you get a new computer where do you keep them for easy access like this one?  thanks again,liz

@fatcat wrote:

Diver,

that IS very good.  I actually tried the same thing w/ the same butterflies engaged in the same activity.  NONE of them came out in focus.  I just thought it was because I don't really know how to get a great macro shot yet.  This one is very nice.  Now  now what kind of butterfyl that is with the blue tail.  I planted a bunch of milkweed this yr to attract monarchs, and saw the 1st one   in 10 yrs.  So wish me some good luck.  Thanks for sharing this diverhank, now I know that this WAS a difficult shot and not me feeling like a klutz.  lol

It would be a miracle to see 2 monarchs at the same time.  They are in decline because everyone that moves here from california and cuts down all the food for them, like milkweed, which is actually very pretty.

So can I ask you where do you "store" your pcs, on the computer? or do you transfer them somewhere for safe keeping.  Then when you get a new computer where do you keep them for easy access like this one?  thanks again,liz

Hi Liz. Thank you and good luck in attracting butterflies.  I didn't catch where you live...I live in southern California :).  Despite preconceived notions from some people outside of California...Californians are very nice and no we are not all crazy :). 

I keep the pictures in my laptop plus I back them up on two separate portable drives.  The real good ones that I'm proud of I post them on flickr (I'm a pro member with unlimited storage space).  Even with free membership, Flickr gives you 1 TB (1000GB) which is huge if you only keep jpg files (about 400,000 pictures of 2.5MB size).

"I keep the pictures in my laptop plus I back them up on two separate portable drives.  The real good ones that I'm proud of I post them on flickr (I'm a pro member with unlimited storage space).  Even with free membership, Flickr gives you 1 TB (1000GB) which is huge if you only keep jpg files (about 400,000 pictures of 2.5MB size)."  

I download pictures from the camera into portable drives, which backs them up to a local server, running at RAID 1.  I use Microsoft SyncToy to copy from portable drive to server.  I have 2TB of space set aside for photos.  This is where I do editing.  I archive them to a local Western Digital "My Cloud" NAS device.  The WD devices are very fast.

I also use WD "My Cloud" NAS devices to access my photos remotely.  I have 8 TB of personal cloud storage that I manage from my home.  So, who needs Creative Cloud?  I also have a "My Cloud" running at my sons' houses.  It's how we share and backup pictures off-site.  We use iCloud for sharing, and My Cloud for archiving.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I don't dislike Californians, just SO many moving here to Oregon.  The population of our town has tripled in 6 yrs, and I don't like the congestion, rude drivers and ppl who don't love the beauty and litter and destroy it  (among other things that come with ppl who move to get rid of their problems, the problems that come along right w/ them)  You guys down there have the same problem we are having too [Removed per Forum Guidelines - off-topic/offensive].they dont want me to say I guess.

I am going to have to figure a way to store my photos, but not on this computer, besides, I'm not very good yet.  But when it will matter, I need to find a good system.  I like what you and Wadizzle both said you do about it.  I will look into that more, thanks.

The monarchs migrate from Canada to Mexico every year.  They are in decline because of habitat loss, and food loss.  So anywhere on the west coast, if you plant things that they eat you will attract them.  The field guide says milkweed is the best food source, and they sometimes make their cocoons in them.  Seeds are sensitive, need to be started indoors.

Well, does "most amusing" count, too?  This shot wasn't easy to capture because squirrels are so easily spooked.  But, I suppose that this little one was hungry.  It was having a feast on discarded bones in a park.

I want you to meet "Chicken Eatin' Squirrel".

IMG_6047.jpg

I thought squirrels are supposed to be vegetarians.  Nuts, and stuff like that.  I suppose urban life makes nut trees rare.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

_52D3704-Edit-Edit.jpg

Don't know if it was my most difficult photo but it certainly is right up there.

1D Mk IV with Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens for Canon. 600mm at f8, SS 1/5000 and ISO 800.

Hand held.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

simonphoto
Contributor

Hey Diverhank, That butterfly shot is a great capture. Being more of a studio shooter I can't even imagine trying to follow something that little and fast with a 400mm lens. Way to go, amigo. Very well done.

Thanks Simonphoto...I haven't been able to repeat that feat :).

Hanging out of a boat at water level, low light sunset, moving rowing team. I love a challenge.

IMG_0760.TIF 

Announcements