cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shooting a Model Aircraft Show is harder than the real thing!

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Model aircraft still fly very fast, but are much smaller and fly a lot lower than their full-size cousins.  I had never tried to do this before and I was just getting used to my Canon 7DMkII and 100-400MkII, but the opportunity to see a show near my home in Victoria, BC was too good to pass up, especially since my camera group was offered VIP seating near the end of the runway.

Being somewhat constrained to one point the aircraft tended to fly by in a similar position.

People came from far and wide to display their eclctic range of models, the sizes of which varied from about 1.5m (5ft) to up to 4m (13ft) and they were amazingly well constructed and detailed.

Here is the link to a few of the photos: Model Aircraft Display - it is shared from my Onedrive location.  If you click on the first image you can get the option to see a slide show, during which, if you move your mouse you will see the aircraft description.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
17 REPLIES 17

Danny

Hi, Tronhard!

Photographing model aircraft can certainly be a challenge, and judging by the results at the link that you shared, it's a challenge you're up to!

We'd love to see some of those photos right here in this thread, so feel free to add them in a reply. You can also edit your original post to include images.  When composing or editing your message, click the "Insert/Edit Image" icon at the top of the text box. It's near the center and it's a square with a pair of mountain peaks in it. You'll get instructions from there.

That's all there is to it. We look forward to seeing what you share!

Hi Danny:

thank you for the adviice.  I had opted for the link because I had so many images to show and didn't want to pollute the site.  I will defintiely use the download photo option for only a few shots.  Thanks again!

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Canada BC Victoria  RC Model Boeing-Stearman Model 75-1 LR.jpg

Gory Details: Canon 7D MkII, 100-400 EF-L Mk II, ISO 200, F9, 1/500sec, 4000mm

cheers, TREVOR

Fokker EV 04-1-1.jpg

This model shot on Canon EOS 7D Mk II, 1/1250sec, f6.3, ISO-200, 100-400 EF-L Mk II, 400mm (equiv. 640mm) Hand Held

cheers, TREVOR

PBY Catalina 02-1.jpg

PBY Catalina model 2m wingspan.  Settings Canon EOS 7D Mk II, 100-400 EF-L Mk II, 400mm, f7.1, 1/1,600 sec, ISO-200  Hand Held

cheers, TREVOR

These shots were taken of this model FW-190A. 

After it took off a communications error saw it dive under full power straight into the ground.  Smiley Sad

FW-190 02 LR.jpg

Model FW-190A, wingspan approx 1.8m  Taken with Canon EOS 7D Mk II, 100-400 EF-L Mk II,  400mm, f6.3, 1/1,250 sec, ISO-200 Hand Held

FW-190 01-LR.jpg

The Last Take-off: Canon EOS 7D Mk II, 100-400 EF-L MK II, 400mm, f9, 1/640, ISO-200

cheers, TREVOR

acdii
Contributor

Very nice photos.  I fly RC myself and have had others try to video my maiden flights and I usually get a lot of sky, or ground, and very little of the actual flight.  That is with a video camera, trying to get stills is even more of a challenge, and I see you did excellent!

@acdii wrote:

Very nice photos.  I fly RC myself and have had others try to video my maiden flights and I usually get a lot of sky, or ground, and very little of the actual flight.  That is with a video camera, trying to get stills is even more of a challenge, and I see you did excellent!

Aw Shucks... Now you are just encouraging me! Smiley Happy

Boeing-Stearman Model 75 01-1.jpgBoeing-Stearman Model 75

de Havilland Buffalo 03b.jpgde Havilland Buffalo SAR doing a parrachute drop of a stick of eight

Flying Iron 01.jpgNow I've seen everything.... A flying IRON!  Apparently they want to fly the ironing board next year...

Mars Water Bomber 01.jpgThe rare Mars Water Bomber.  This model had a span of almost 3m (10ft).

cheers, TREVOR

Going to my first model air show today.  Scattered rain is in the forecast, though.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements