cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your Spring photos!

lindam
Administrator
Administrator

Have you taken a photo that just screams spring? We want to see it! Let us know what Canon gear you used and share the story behind the shot.

Looking for some tips and tricks on how to capture beautiful flower photos this season? Check out these articles from the Canon Digital Learning Center: http://Canon.us/3tfv

Forum_Flowers.jpg

About this photo

Camera: Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Lens: Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM
Aperture: f/6.3
ISO: 100
Shutter Speed: 1/160 sec
Focal Length: 14mm

26 REPLIES 26

Hello!

We wish we were able to lounge in the sun like these sea lions! Thanks for sharing this oceanside siesta with us!

pris796
Enthusiast

1/1000

F5/6

ISO 100

3.9MM

T3

thumb_IMG_4207_1024.jpg

pris796

Hi Pris796!

We appreciate you sharing this gorgeous flower with us! This is the perfect Spring photo.

Okay.  A few unseasonably warm days has caused spring to spring ... ... ...  

All of the following shots were made with an EOS 7D Mark II and EF 100-400MM f/4.5-6.5L IS II USM.  All of the shots were taken within a few minutes of one another, about 90 minutes after sunrise on a "partly cloudy" day, which was comprised of very high atmosphere, spotty cloud cover.

EOS 7D Mark II2017_04_170801.jpgEOS 7D Mark II2017_04_170802.jpgEOS 7D Mark II2017_04_170830.jpgEOS 7D Mark II2017_04_170836.jpg

The first shot had an exposure of 1/2000, f/4.5, ISO 800, at 100mm.  The rest were similar.  

[EDIT]  Here are the settings for each shot, 1 thru 4.

1. 1/2000, f/4.5, ISO 800, at 100mm

2. 1/2500, f/4.5, ISO 800, at 100mm
  3. 1/1000, f/5.0, ISO 800 at 188mm
  4. 1/2500, f/4.5, ISO 800, at 100mm
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I am just curious, the first two photos the nearer object is clear and the background is blurred, like a movie video when the nearer person is focused the further person is blurred. Is this true to all canon camera?

I have a pocket sized sony camera, the focused nearer image is clear and the background  is never blurred even how far is the background. Although some photos shared are not blurred background, why  some photo have this kind. Is this something to do with camera set up or model of the camera, view your idea.

Hello Newsense52!

Great question! What you're looking for is called shallow depth of field (blurry background). On a Canon PowerShot (pocket) camera you would change the camera mode to Macro, which is the flower icon. We'd love to have you on #TeamCanon, so if you need any assistance with finding the right Canon camera for you please let us know and we'd be happy to help! 

@newsense52 wrote:

I am just curious, the first two photos the nearer object is clear and the background is blurred, like a movie video when the nearer person is focused the further person is blurred. Is this true to all canon camera?

I have a pocket sized sony camera, the focused nearer image is clear and the background  is never blurred even how far is the background. Although some photos shared are not blurred background, why  some photo have this kind. Is this something to do with camera set up or model of the camera, view your idea.

Yes, what you're observing is called " depth of field ".  Most pocket cameras do not allow for lens adjustments, which give the photographer control over background blur.  This is achieved by varying the size of the lens aperture, which described by the f/number.  

Do a web search for " exposure triangle " and " depth of field ".

[EDIT]  I went back and added the exposure settings for all four photos to my post.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Gotcha - large number of aperture makes a deeper depth of field. This can not be achieved by pocket camera.

Hscott
Contributor
Gorgeous pictures!!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

These wildflowers bloom each spring... but only last a short while.  In past years I've meant to capture them but have missed arriving at the right time.  This year I managed to catpure them.

They are located on the campus of the University of Michigan Dearborn but this is land that was previously part of the Henry & Clara Ford estate (which they named "Fair Lane").  

The flowers are Siberian Squill and they were planted by Clara Ford (and according to the environmental intepretive center on the campus, they've spread quite a bit over the years.)  They are planting among a long row of Osage Orange trees at the edge of a forest.

Spring Wildflowers

Shot info:

Camera:  Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

Lens:  Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM II

ISO: 100

Aperture:  f/22

Shutter Speed:  1/13th sec

Focal length:  155mm

A Lee 0.6 ND soft graduated filter was used in this shot to bring down the brightness in the trees.

This image is also posted on Flickr and can be viewed in other sizes:  https://flic.kr/p/Tvrrgv

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements