Canon Community Canon Community

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Share your Macro Photos

[ Edited ]

This photo was created by stacking 10 groups of 4 photos.  Each group of four photos were aligned and then averaged together to reduce noise, which yielded 10 images.  These 10 images were then stacked into the final result. 

Ambient room light was used to photograph the dime sitting on a sheet of white paper.

EOS 6D, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM

1.6 sec / f/5.6 / ISO 100

IMG_7598.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Occasional Contributor

Canon 7D - EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro

14324665_1276768279023449_1156737860968863694_o.jpg

Occasional Contributor

Cool shot!
Honored Contributor

Beyond cool, very nice.  Smiley Happy

A lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.
Esteemed Contributor

It's snowing today.  Looking for the perfect snowflake, but they keep clumping together.

_D8A0491.jpg

EOS 7D Mark II, EF 100mm f/2.8 IS USM Macro, 0.3 sec, f/11, ISO 800

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What a cool shot! It amazes us every time that you can see the individual ice crystals in the snow flakes with the right macro lens! Thanks for sharing, Waddizzle! 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Stephen wrote:

What a cool shot! It amazes us every time that you can see the individual ice crystals in the snow flakes with the right macro lens! Thanks for sharing, Waddizzle! 

Thanks, Stephen.  The keeper rate for such shots is very low.  This was my first attempt at it.

Capturing such a shot takes a lot of luck, too.  You need just the right type of snowflakes, which mine were not.  My flakes kept clumping.  Perfect snowflakes lasted less than a minute, and my three shots during that period were not keepers.  The first I damaged the snowflake with rough handling.  The second was out of focus because I rushed it.  By the time I took a third shot, the snowflake began to melt and lost its' sharp edges.

How did I photograph it?  I laid a dark cotton cloth on a milk crate, so I could "catch" several snowflakes.  I stood a tripod over the crate with the center column inverted, so that the camera was pointing straight down.  I used manual focus, mirror lockup, and the 10 second timer on the shutter to give time for camera vibrations to settle out.  No flash, but I used Av mode. 

The cloth surface MUST be cold, so that the snowflakes do not melt.  Most of all, the snowflakes are FRAGILE, and you must WORK FAST, because the snowflakes will quickly begin to melt and deteriorate within several seconds to the point where they lose their shape and sharp edges.

[EDIT]  I forgot to mention that I was working outdoors, during the snowstorm.  My camera setup was on a covered porch.

_D8A0492.jpg

When I said you have to work fast, I really meant it.  You have to work FAST.  Same snowflake, 15 seconds later.