cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your Macro Photos

lindam
Administrator
Administrator

Have you captured an awesome macro photo? Post it here and share the story behind the shot. Be sure to include the Canon gear you used. This photo was captured with a Canon EOS 5D Mark III and a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM lens at f/5, 1/160 sec, ISO 100.

FLower-Macro.jpg

173 REPLIES 173

This is really nice, fatcat.  Was this with the 50mm f/1.8 also?  If I may suggest, if you'd follow the rule of third and put the bee on the 1/3 line instead of right smack in the middle, it would look nicer (move the bee to the left more).

An extension tube will allow you to get closer to ghe subject.  The cost is that you will no longer be able to focus on farther subjects with the extension tube on.  For a 25mm extension tube on a 50mm lens, you will get an additional 0.5x magnification, making the lens a 0.65x instead of 0.15x...still not quite as close as that 100mm macro with a 1x magnification.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

ty everyone,

It's getting better.  originally it was on the side a little, thought it looked off....I was trying to line up the wings with the corner to draw in the eye from the edge, I still don't get that rule of 2/3..... (I understand it, but don't get it, not clicking) still learning.

ty for info on e.t.  It may be something to consider, it's less expensive, but many drawbacks, as u seem to think also.

yes, I am trying to get used to this new 50mm.  It is VERY different than the old lens (old camera 35mm film days)  In some ways much easier, some not so much. That AF is AWESOME, but not real tight.  Probably due to the fstop I was on. I am still fumbling thru the processing part too, which is where I re-framed it. (incorrectly) trying to crop.  Maybe, I can re-do that part.

Those bees were still for about enough time to focus and    Poof......gone.  got ALLOT of empty frames...lol practice practice.

I always learn something when I come to this site.  More than watching yt instruction videos...

Biggs, that is SUCH great info to keep in mind.  I should copy and memorize it!  (if that's possible anymore)lol

I DID move the fstop up, looks like need to do more to open the DOF more, (thats the term I was looking for) I agree, but didn't want to Over compensate, you know how that goes. Theres always tomorrow

I really appreciate ALL the help.  Before ya know it, you guys are going to have me convinced on the 100mm/180mm lens.

Of course to justifiy the cost, I better get REAL excited about it.  ha ha...So far, really loving the challenge (and the help)

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH,

Liz 

@fatcat wrote:

ty everyone,

It's getting better.  originally it was on the side a little, thought it looked off....I was trying to line up the wings with the corner to draw in the eye from the edge, I still don't get that rule of 2/3..... (I understand it, but don't get it, not clicking) still learning.

ty for info on e.t.  It may be something to consider, it's less expensive, but many drawbacks, as u seem to think also.

Yeah...most people starting out don't get the rule of third, myself included.  To me, to this day,  it's not a hard and fast rule and is one that is made to be broken.  For me it took a while but I started to see it now...it makes sense...this rule started out not in photography but in art hundreds of years ago...the theory is that your eyes instinctly focus not in the middle but to the 1/3 lines...I often wonder about that myself...one thing for sure, for main subjects that have eyes...like this bee, I like to see where its eyes are looking at so I look in that direction...for a bee looking to the right of the picture, it's natural to have it slightly to the left so there is more room in the direction it is looking at.  In your picture, I feel that all that space to the left and above the bee is wasted space (they call it negative space).  If that picture was mine, I'd crop all of that negative space out...

The key is do what you think is right...it is your creation...all I offered was my version of it... Now if the object of your creation is to get as many people as possible to like it and perhaps buy it...I think it's safer to follow known rules...rules are there for a reason...I think only the masters can break them and get away with them...Most of us might not... You might want to do a self experiment, google images and pick out a few you really like and see where the main subjects are located whether they follow the rule of 3rd or not...if they all are smack in the middle then that is what you like, you should stick with that.  I've done this experiment myself and most pictures I like have the subjects on the 1/3 lines...that's why I always try to follow the rule of third...

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

that was well said. I totally get what you're saying re: the top being neg. space. I'll try that exercise with the photos.. Everything else I've tried from here has improved my confidence, and understanding something can only improve ones abilities. After you explained that, it made so much more sense, Ill have to see if I still have the original and re-try. Thanks so much for helping me. Good thing these cards hold so many "practice" shots. lol

BTW, there are more ways to compose a photograph.  The dynamic symmetry grid rule is one.  The Law of Proximity determine things like negative space, counterpart, greatest area of contrast, breathing room, direction of gaze, horizontal balance and more.

So is the rule of thirds that important?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I guess you can look at composition like this. A diamond in the right setting shows its brilliance. In the wrong setting it doesn't show the beauty of the stone. With any art form, there are rules. If you learn them and understand them, the chances of turning out pleasing to the eye are better. Otherwise you can look at it, know it's mediocre, and not know why. Those that don't care should stick to their cell phone cameras. I haven't learned all the things you mentioned yet, some of it is just feel. Like music.
the more you understand it the more you can appreciate it. I think photography is similar to that, you are trying to convey a feeling.

Here are two shots taken with a Rebel T5, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM, 1/800, f/8, ISO 320.

IMG_2016_06_170489.jpgIMG_2016_06_170483.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

very nice.  How close did you have to get w/ that sigma lens?  Very clear, great dof.  🙂 L.

@fatcat wrote:

very nice.  How close did you have to get w/ that sigma lens?  Very clear, great dof.  🙂 L.

Who?  Me?  I used the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM macro lens.  The camera was about 12 inches away, which means the bees were about 4-6 inches from the front of the lens. 

I focused in One Shot mode witth manually selected center AF point.  I used Back Button Focus to pre-focus inside of a particular flower and waited for a bee to land inside of it.  They were everywhere.  One landed inside of a flower, while another did a touch and go with a flower.

Both of the posted photos were cropped about 50%, and had exposure adjustments in LR.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Oh ok, I thought I read at the bottom of the photo that you used the "S" lens, sowwy.  I like that approach you used, I will have to try that in the fall.  I have a clematis that the bees LOVE and hover all day.  I was too slow today, had a hummingbird and a monarch butterfly....I planted a bunch of stuff to attract them this yr.  So wish me better luck next time. lol

I love the hovering bee, he's so fat looking.  You really did good to catch that touch and go!!!.  I will learn from this, the technique to focus on ONE flower and just wait.  We have 2 kinds of bees, the honey bees and big black bumble bees, plus wasps, but I avoid them if possible.  So Wad, thanks for that tip.  Do you like the 100mm lens?  I get about as close with my set up, but the magnififcation could be better.  Trying to figure a way to get close w/o getting too close (bigger magnification w/ greater distance) and w/o spending 1k to get there.  I realize this is a daydream, but one can dream.

Thanks for that great tip, I forgot about that lesson.  My other problem is getting out the tripod in time to catch it b/4 it's gone.

cheers,L.

Announcements