Canon Community Canon Community

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Share your Astrophotography Photos

[ Edited ]

CajunSteph wrote:
Yes, well explained, thank you for your generous consideration. Smiley Happy I am mainly interested in researching zoom powers in order to take images of what looks like someone holding the Moon on their shoulders, in their hands or bouncing it like a ball. lol I only have a 55-250mm and it's just not quite long enough. Smiley Sad Thanks again.

This could be estimated fairly accurately by calculating the AOV, Angle-Of-View, of the Moon against that of your subject with their hands spread.  I have never done it before, BTW

The night sky is basically a half circle, 180 degrees.  I cannot recall how many degrees of the sky that the Moon occupies, but let's say that it is 0.5 degrees.  If you go to an online Canon vendor, you will see a specification listing for Angle-Of-View for every Canon lens. 

Let's say that a lens gives you 40 degress of AOV.  This means that you could fit 80 Moons side by side across your image.  I've been tweaking the various Moon photos I took last night.  The one posted earler was the first one I processed. 

IMG_6802.jpg

I took some shots with filters, without filters, and different exposures and focal lengths.  The above was shot with the same lens and settings, but with a a different camera, 6D, and no CPL filter.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Honored Contributor

rgmoore that is a way cool shot.  Smiley Wink

A lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.
Occasional Contributor

Of course your right, Waddizzle Smiley Happy Thanks for the insight. Smiley Happy I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out now !!!
Steph
Topics: 1
Kudos: 15
Solutions: 1

Stellar Sentries

Unique Night Time Photography | Twilightscapes.com
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Very nice shot? Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I'm sure I've posted this same image elsewhere on the forums, but I just noticed this thread so I thought I'd add it to the list.

Andromeda & Companions

I shot this image of the Andromeda Galaxy (M31) and companions  (M32 & M110) using a Canon EOS 60Da.

The image was shot through a TeleVue NP101is apochromatic refractor -- a 101mm refractor (that's the aperture size of the objective lens) with a 540mm focal length (f/5.4).   The telescope was mounted on a Losmandy G11 mount.  This shot is the resuult of collecting several 8 minute exposures which were then stacked and ultimately processed to bring out the color (the out of the camera shot nearly looks monochrome - color is very subtle).  This represents a few hours worth of data collection and many more hours of procesing.

A larger version is here:  https://flic.kr/p/AZ1K5j

You can see a sample of what a (mostly) straight out the camera frame looks like here:  https://flic.kr/p/B18eTQ

(I say "mostly" because I slightly adjusted contrast on that image.)

Tim Campbell
5D II, 5D III, 60Da
Honored Contributor

Smiley Happy