cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your Astrophotography Photos

lindam
Administrator
Administrator

Are you a fan of astrophotography? Post your favorite photo you've taken and share the story behind it. Be sure to include the Canon gear you used.

Astrophotography

91 REPLIES 91

I knocked this shot out when I was shooting the moon (heh!) with my Tamron 150-600.

It was shot with a T3i at f/5, ISO400 and 15 sec exposure and 150mm focal lengthIMG_3688.JPG

It was shot in the middle of Albuquerque, not the darkest of cities, but not that bright either.

Nothing special, but it kind of fits here so I thought I would post it. You can barely make out Orion.

"It was shot in the middle of Albuquerque, not the darkest of cities, but not that bright either.

Nothing special, but it kind of fits here so I thought I would post it. You can barely make out Orion." 

I must give you a salute.  If that is one of your first efforts,then it looks 1000% better than mine, shot in light polluted NYC.

I have two freeware image stacking applications, RegiStax 6 and Deep Sky Stacker.  The latter is designed for astrophotography.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Probably my third, but thanks.

I feel guilty because here in NM there is no shortage of dark and clear skies.

@kvbarkley wrote:

You feel guilty because your state hasn't indulged itself in universal light pollution? Somehow that sounds backwards.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

You feel guilty because your state hasn't indulged itself in universal light pollution? Somehow that sounds backwards.

There is actually so much air and light pollution in Manhattan that you cannot see any stars, not even on a clear night.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

No, I feel guilty because I have not taken advantage of it. I do have lots of pictures of balloons during golden hour. The Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta is one of the few events that takes place at sunrise. 8^)

I am pretty clear to the South but not good towards the North.  Kansas City is 40 miles to the North.  Almost nothing to the South.

_DS39375.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Oh. BTW, that was the ef 70-200mm f2.8L II at 105mm @ f4 on a 1Ds Mk III.  ISO was1600.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

How long of an exposure would this type of shot be?

Astrophotography_Main_2.jpg

@TheCanon wrote:

How long of an exposure would this type of shot be?

Astrophotography_Main_2.jpg

You can see where the center of rotation is, and you know that a full rotation takes 24 hours. So measure the radius of any of the circles being described; then use your high school geometry to compute the arc length from the chord lengh of the corresponding trail, and determine what percentage of a full circle the arc length is.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements