Enthusiast

at aperture priority - Av settings at F2.8

BERRIES AT GW UNIV.jpgFLOWERS AT GW 1.jpgFLOWERS AT GW 2.jpg

GW BUST.jpg

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The moderators like to ask what camera and exposure settings that people use. 

I love that lens.  The biggest thrill I got from the lens after I had first used it was discovering that it excels at taking conventional, non-macro, shots, too.  The shots were crazy sharp and detailed.  It is probably too merciless for portraits, but it is fantastic for everything else.  I use mine to take shots of plate of food.

IMG_7598.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

thank you waddizzle - the dime is incrediblly sharp and detailed

for my pictures - all pictures taken on Canon 80d,  all F2.8

the stop sign - Shutter speed - 1/18000 , ISO 1250

the flowers -  Yellow - indoor with natural lighting - no flash - 1/40, ISO1250

RED - 1/25, ISO 1250

berry outdoor - 1/1250, ISO 1250 

ALSO 

GW Bust at GWU

1/1250, ISO 1250

@dudeinwashingto wrote:

ALSO 

GW Bust at GWU

1/1250, ISO 1250

Also, much of the apparent detail in the dime is because of the angle of the light, which casts shadows.  It is the shadows that capture the impression of depth and detail on the surface.  Had the light source been directly overhead, I would have captured fewer shadows, and the dime would have lacked depth and detail.

@dudeinwashingto wrote:

thank you waddizzle - the dime is incrediblly sharp and detailed

for my pictures - all pictures taken on Canon 80d,  all F2.8

the stop sign - Shutter speed - 1/18000 , ISO 1250

the flowers -  Yellow - indoor with natural lighting - no flash - 1/40, ISO1250

RED - 1/25, ISO 1250

berry outdoor - 1/1250, ISO 1250 

The photo of the dime is actually a composite of many photographs that were stacked together.  I am using the wrong computer to give you correct numbers, but the dime was photographed at an extremely narrow DOF, depth of field.  I think I needed 10 separate shots, moving from bottom to top, of the dime to capture the entire surface in focus.

However, each of the individual 10 shots were actually composites of a several shots that were averaged together to cancel out some of the noise.  The shots were taken with a 6D mounted on a tripod, using ambient light, with the mirror locked up, which reduced camera shake and helped to more precisely align the shots before the averaging process.  I took a couple of hours to make all of the shots, and another couple of hours in post processing.

I'm just thinking loud here and wondering if it's more appropriate to use a black background for this subject, and an f/11 or  f/16, rather than 10 shots at f/2.8.

Perhaps 2 or 3 shots at f/11 or f/16 would do the trick. 

Most lenses are sharpest at around f/8 to f/11, and, generally speaking, the least sharpness is when they are wide open (f/2.8 in this case).

While the detail is excellent, I find the image to be lacking in sharpness, and that's probably due to stacking a large number of images, and the use of f/2.8.

I also find the color of the dime in this image to be significantly altered. The natural color of a dime is silver.

I hope this helps.

@sh10453 wrote:

I'm just thinking loud here and wondering if it's more appropriate to use a black background for this subject, and an f/11 or  f/16, rather than 10 shots at f/2.8.

Perhaps 2 or 3 shots at f/11 or f/16 would do the trick. 

Most lenses are sharpest at around f/8 to f/11, and, generally speaking, the least sharpness is when they are wide open (f/2.8 in this case).

While the detail is excellent, I find the image to be lacking in sharpness, and that's probably due to stacking a large number of images, and the use of f/2.8.

I also find the color of the dime in this image to be significantly altered. The natural color of a dime is silver.

I hope this helps.

I cannot remember the ISO, but I didn't shoot wide open.  I think it was about f/8.  The DOF was extremely shallow.  I used 10 images because that's what it took to cover the entire dime.  As for White Balance, something happened when when the photo was posted.  The dime is silver and background is white on my.monitor.  It is also the correct color on my Facebook page.  I have had WB seeming to change before on photos that I have posted in these forums.

As for softness, some of it could be due to having to oompress the image to under 4 MB, so that it can be posted in the forum.  The RAW files were well over 20 MB.

thank you waddizzle  - the composites and the detail are exquisite. I hope i eventually will be able to get to shooting composites and using the software that you have. Great joy again on the dime

thank you sh10453 for expressing interest and commenting. appreciate it!

Announcements