cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Captured an awesome travel pic lately?

lindam
Administrator
Administrator

Share your amazing travel photography! Let us know the Canon gear you used and the story behind the photo. 

This beautiful scene in Italy was captured with a Canon EOS 5D Mark III and a Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM lens at f/11, 1/5 sec, ISO 100.

Travel_Italy.jpg

177 REPLIES 177

very beautiful

personally I like the first one better. What do you mean HDR?
With lots of sky and water I prefer iso200, the blue/green spectrum seems to be less washed out. (from old film days) I think I would have increased the color sat in post on number 2.

High Dynamic Range. You take multiple images at different exposures and combine them so that you get more dynamic range in the image than the sensor can provide. For example, If you take a picture in a typical room with a window, you can either expose for the room or the window, but not both. With HDR, you can take a shot exposed for the room and combine it with a shot exposed for the window and get an image where the room and the window are exposed properly.

@kvbarkley wrote:

High Dynamic Range. You take multiple images at different exposures and combine them so that you get more dynamic range in the image than the sensor can provide. For example, If you take a picture in a typical room with a window, you can either expose for the room or the window, but not both. With HDR, you can take a shot exposed for the room and combine it with a shot exposed for the window and get an image where the room and the window are exposed properly.

Right.  My shot of the tall lighthouse is a perfect example.  The sun was at right angle [to my left as I took the picture] to my shooting direction, which left the side facing me in shadow.  As a result, the lighthouse surface looks dark, and that is after being brightened up a bit in Photoshop.

I took three separate exposures.  One at normal exposure, one that was underexposed, and one that was overexposed.  This last exposure captured the surface of the light house quite a bit brighter than the original, single exposure.  The underexposure helped to correct the color of the sky, which was saturated in the single exposure.  The images were combined, and then further processed in Photoshop to balance out the colors as I had remembered them. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"What do you mean HDR?"

High Dynamic Range. To expand a little further is a way to increase the DR of a camera sensor.  Or for that matter, film.  It isn't a new concept.  It has just recently gotten some notice by still digital photographers. But it has been around for a long time.

It depends on the user taking multiple exposures, usually three for a DSLR but by no means is 3 the limit.  Astro-photographers can take hundreds.  However 3 to 5 is common.  It does not help in all situations and some it should be avoided.  For instance already high contrast or color saturated situations.  Possibly a lot of movement in the shot. Things like that.  Great places for its use is like the example of the dark room and a bright window given above. A rather normal scene will benefit less.

There is also HDR video and TV sets.  Even smart phones!  It's here and it is here to stay.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Oh, BTW, HDR final photos are fully editable in Photoshop or any of the post editing software.  This can further enhance the shot.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

PhotosByNeva
Enthusiast
Obviously you've never seen a sunset in Arizona or New Mexico because this is nothing... there are colors like that, it's just amazing! I don't know if you live in a cave or not but you need to get out more.

20160502_193554.jpg

This was taken off my front porch in California, I live in the desert, with my Samsung Galaxy S6 and it wasn't photoshopped this is all natural. You should see the ones that I get up with my Canon 6D..

Show us the 6D ones then, though you did not travel very far it seems. 8^)

Announcements