cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Captured an awesome travel pic lately?

lindam
Administrator
Administrator

Share your amazing travel photography! Let us know the Canon gear you used and the story behind the photo. 

This beautiful scene in Italy was captured with a Canon EOS 5D Mark III and a Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM lens at f/11, 1/5 sec, ISO 100.

Travel_Italy.jpg

177 REPLIES 177

Is that a photograph or a painting? To me, it has "over-Photoshopped" written all over it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I begged to disagree...if you ever watched a lot of sunsets...the colors, tone, and everything else is usually a lot more vivid than shown in this picture...there is no rule to say that you can only use what is recorded by the camera...the goal is to duplicate real life as your eyes see it as much as possible. With that, this picture is not artificial at all...it actually falls a bit short of real life.
================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@diverhank wrote:
I begged to disagree...if you ever watched a lot of sunsets...the colors, tone, and everything else is usually a lot more vivid than shown in this picture...there is no rule to say that you can only use what is recorded by the camera...the goal is to duplicate real life as your eyes see it as much as possible. With that, this picture is not artificial at all...it actually falls a bit short of real life.

I have indeed watched a lot of sunsets and photographed a fair number of them. In my experience, while the colors in the sunset are often vivid, those in the foreground are not. And I'm pretty sure the tree was added to the scene. The outline of the foliage is too sharp, and there is no evidence at the foot of the tree that a tree has been growing there. Even more tellingly, why doesn't it cast a shadow?

I quite agree that there is no rule that you can't manipulate a scene. But the most successful manipulations either don't call attention to themselves or result in abstract forms that are intentionally recognizable as manipulations. The manipulations that I think I see in this picture meet neither of those criteria.

Now if you're the one who took the picture and you tell me it isn't manipulated, I'll have to believe you. Otherwise, I stand by my opinion.

Bob

http://kameratrollet.se/allt/bild1.jpg

5D and 17-40 from Hakkenzan in Japan.

Wow, Peter. That is one incredible view. Do you mind sharing the settings used?

@Jason wrote:

Wow, Peter. That is one incredible view. Do you mind sharing the settings used?

Manual exposure, 1/8 sec, f/16, ISO 100 and 22 mm. Edited in Darktable and GIMP.

Bob from Boston,

" it has "over-Photoshopped" written all over it."

If a little is good, so, a lot must be better. Unfortunately that sentiment is seemly prevalent when using the sliders in PS.

Not trying to say that is a bad thing depending on what the photographer wanted to convey.  After all HDR is getting more and more popular.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Bob from Boston,

" it has "over-Photoshopped" written all over it."

If a little is good, so, a lot must be better. Unfortunately that sentiment is seemly prevalent when using the sliders in PS.

Not trying to say that is a bad thing depending on what the photographer wanted to convey.  After all HDR is getting more and more popular.

Yeah, but the best HDR shots don't call attention to their dynamic range; you have to stop and think to understand what you're seeing. I remember a picture you once posted where you're inside a barn and looking out an open doorway into daylight. Both the indoor and outdoor parts of the scene are properly exposed. It all looks quite natural until you realize that there must have been about a 6-stop difference in brightness between indoors and outdoors.

Bob

Bob from Boston,

I do agree with you. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I heard that somewhere?Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements