cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

thoughts on black and white prints having an "eggplant" hue to them

dunkinidaho
Contributor

Thsi is an ongoing problem that crosses all the variables. Three different canon printers, ( ip4500--mg 7100--Pro100) 4 defferent papers, (canon--illford--epson) and all prints come out with an eggplant hue to the blacks. Only thing left is to buy a $250 i1 x-rite display calibration tool. I'd like some thoughts before I shell out more money chasing this problem.

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Did you convert to all monochrome or print the image direct so it was color and B&W? I've seen conflicting discussions on the 'net about which approach to use. I convert to B&W in my application and then print just as if it was a color image. I don't let the printer driver do the conversion.

The other thing you can do is print a test print in Print Studio Pro and you can pick the best image and it will give you the adjustment.

2017-07-17.png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

While calibrating your monitor is a good idea, it won't affect the issue you are reporting unless the monitor is off and you are adjusting color in your application to compensate.

Fiest thing I recommend is to download the following test image and open it in your photo application program.

WITHOUT MAKING ANY ADJUSTMENTS print the image and see how it looks.

http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi049/essay.html

I have found that black and white printing can be tricky. The paper can affect the tint. Theviewing light can affect the tint. If the paper has OBAs that can affect the tint.

Dye printers especially are touchy.

Report back after you print the test image and we will go from there.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

John,

thanks for the reply. Downloaded the image and placed into LR. from there I printed on red river 32lb glossy and what to my wonder it printed in black and white. I need to leave for the rest of the day but will get back to this tomorrow.

Brian

I need to print black and white copies of digital x-rays on glossy photo paper. I had a Canon 8120 which did it beautifully until after 5 years it stopped working. Was told it would be too expensive to repair, so I bought a Canon 8720 for one treatment room and a 922 for another. They print very clearly and the image is sharp and diagnostic but it has a purplish tint. I have tried to use greyscale, but the tint is still there. I am using Canon Premium Photo Glossy II paper. Do not want to use plain paper for x-rays. Using a PC with Windows 7. Any suggestion on how to get rid of the tint. I would hate to have to try to repair the 8120 as the shop said it would cost more than a new printer. Don’t know much about computers or printers..

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

While calibrating your monitor is a good idea, it won't affect the issue you are reporting unless the monitor is off and you are adjusting color in your application to compensate.

Fiest thing I recommend is to download the following test image and open it in your photo application program.

WITHOUT MAKING ANY ADJUSTMENTS print the image and see how it looks.

http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi049/essay.html

I have found that black and white printing can be tricky. The paper can affect the tint. Theviewing light can affect the tint. If the paper has OBAs that can affect the tint.

Dye printers especially are touchy.

Report back after you print the test image and we will go from there.

Have you tried viewing prints under different light types? I have found that the viewing light can can affect color tint, depending on the paper. Also, you could try different papers. 

What software are are you printing from? Can you post a screen shot of the window that appears when you go to print?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Have you tried viewing prints under different light types? I have found that the viewing light can can affect color tint, depending on the paper. Also, you could try different papers. 

What software are are you printing from? Can you post a screen shot of the window that appears when you go to print?

Printing from LR5.7 I think I have the issue resolved.  Bought a new printer, watched several videos on how to print correctly and voilà prints look passable. Thanks for replying. 

Brian

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Did you convert to all monochrome or print the image direct so it was color and B&W? I've seen conflicting discussions on the 'net about which approach to use. I convert to B&W in my application and then print just as if it was a color image. I don't let the printer driver do the conversion.

The other thing you can do is print a test print in Print Studio Pro and you can pick the best image and it will give you the adjustment.

2017-07-17.png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements