cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pixma pro 100 versus pixma ip8720

dibanno
Apprentice

Hi:

I'm in the market for a new photo printer.  I've had Epsons for years but these Canons really look nice.  I'm looking at the Pixma Pro 100 and the Pixma ip8720.  What is your opinion?

Thanks!

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I have the Pro-100 and I have a Pro-9500 II, so you probably know my preference.  Smiley Happy

Either will do a nice job and I guess the only big difference between the two is, one ia a 6 color printer and the other is an 8.

The Pro-100 is a beast at nearly 45 pounds.  It is a truly nice photo printer.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

With the currently available rebates the Pro-100 is the less expensive printer. And it prints outstanding prints.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

dibanno
Apprentice

Thanks!  I just received the Pro 100!  Can't wait to try it out.  Yes, it is a beast.  I had to buy a new desk!

Here are some resources for you:

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/galleries/galleries/tutorials/pixma_software_tutorials.shtml

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlV7cqqladQ

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

12 REPLIES 12

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I have the Pro-100 and I have a Pro-9500 II, so you probably know my preference.  Smiley Happy

Either will do a nice job and I guess the only big difference between the two is, one ia a 6 color printer and the other is an 8.

The Pro-100 is a beast at nearly 45 pounds.  It is a truly nice photo printer.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

With the currently available rebates the Pro-100 is the less expensive printer. And it prints outstanding prints.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

dibanno
Apprentice

Thanks!  I just received the Pro 100!  Can't wait to try it out.  Yes, it is a beast.  I had to buy a new desk!

Here are some resources for you:

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/galleries/galleries/tutorials/pixma_software_tutorials.shtml

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlV7cqqladQ

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

bllepore
Apprentice

I'm also torn between these two printers.  I'm leaning to the iP8720 because it would be more portable and I'm thinking the cost of printing may be less over the long haul given the larger black cartridge, but don't know.  I keep loking at the Pro-100 for its Ethernet connectivity which I'm thinking may be more reliable and offer better performance AND I'm wondering if it is better at matching screen color (I'm not familiar with the OIG technology, is it much of an improvement over the iP8720)?  I'm not a pro and continually struggle wtih color matching on my old, very old, PRO9000.  Also, I be able to print directly form by Canon SX530HS (wifi enabled)?  Help.

bllepore,

If you will be printing a combination of photos and documents, the iP8720 may be the more economical choice.

A USB connection will always be more stable than a network once.  Since it would be going direclt to your computer.  Whereas an ethernet or Wi-Fi connection would go to a router and then from there to your computer.

In terms of color matching, if you are not familiar with concepts such as colorspaces or ICC profiles, the PRO-100 has a Print Studio Pro plugin that can be used with Adobe programs such as Photoshop.  This plugin has some simple options that will help you with printing photos.  This works similarly to the Easy-PhotoPrint Pro plugin for the Pro9000.

You will be able to print via Wi-Fi with your camera with the iP8720.  For the PRO-100 you would have to connect the camera direclty to the Pictbridge port on the front of the unit the same was as your Pro9000.

If additional assistance is needed, find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank You Michael!  Just one more clarification please...my question about the ethernet was more whether or not the ehternet cable was much of an advantage over wifi since I understand that both would go through the router.  I do understand tht the USB/computer connections would be faster.  I just didn't know if the ehternet-to-router option on the P-100 is a signicant performance improvement, or reliability factor (???),  versus the iP8720 (wifi) which doesn't appear to have ethernet.  My gut tells me it would be better, but maybe not significant enough to be a deciding factor?

Hello.

Overall, an ethernet connection is more stable than a Wi-Fi connection.  Especially if you will be printing large sized photos.

If additional assistance is needed, find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Can I ask what did you buy finaly?

I gone through two canon pixma printer in two years. the firs was a Pixma MG5450 which was ok for 1.5 years, then it stated to display error codes, printhead manual cleaning helped, but since few weeks no matter what I do it does not want to print and same error code comes up. B200

The second is a Pixma MG6450 which is very slow, it keeps telling me to conect to the wifi, which is already connected, does not want to print through wifi, only wired printing is available. it  feels and look very cheap.

Now I am wondering to buy something high end to assura reliabality, something would serve us for years.

I am not the one who use the printer, but my employer. he is amateur photographer and on the weekend sometimes he pring 100-200 photos. Seems these printer can not keep printing and printing for hours.

Early days we used to have Kodak ESP C315, the printing quality was not as good but reliabality was excellent, it still works.

So what is your thought about the printer you finaly purchased.

If Canon support see this tread I would be greatful if someone can help me with the error codes and some solution.

Announcements