cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do I calibrate my canon pixma pro 100 to match my monitor

cliffcleland
Apprentice

65 REPLIES 65

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Jeff R

"I still think your issue relates to the paper and the profile you are selecting."

Ditto!  Me too. Smiley Happy

Plus your contrast is off.  If you increased the contrast to the same level those two samples would look pretty good.

The three most important things to consider and you don't need any monkey's, is monitor brightness, grey-scale and contrast.  Get these three settings spot on and the rest will be pretty darn good.

But do get some Canon paper with known profiles.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Those images were both unaltered - straight off the monitor/scanner.  Shouldn't they look the same without adjusting contrast?

Re paper, they were made using Canon High Resolution paper with driver and PS set appropriately for that paper.  While I certainly appreciate everyone's suggestions/comments, I do find it hard to believe that the paper profile could cause the color shift seen in the rgb squares.  If I am wrong, please enlighten me.

Hi Jeff.

There are two parts to the printing process. Selecting the media type (paper surface) tells the printer how to lay down the ink. The ICC profile tells the printer how to control the color to compensate for the paper property and ensure that the color in the file matches the color on the print. The monitor introdcues a second translation; thats why the instructions for the Outback photo test image say not to make any adjustments.

If i understand correctly, you are using High Resolution paper, which Canon says is a matte finish and printing using Photo Paper Pro Luster ICC profile (which is a glossy surface). There is no Pro-100 profile for High Resolution paper that I can find.

I ran an experiment - I printed the Outback test image on Luster paper using the Luster profile and selecting Luster media.

The I selected High Resolution media type in the driver and printed using Luster profile on Photo Paper Pro Premium Matte ((PPPPM) paper (the only matte paper I have).

Next, I selected Photo Paper Pro Premium Matte media type printed using Luster profile on Photo Paper Pro Premium Matte paper.

Finally, I selected Photo Paper Pro Premium Matte media type printed using Photo Paper Pro Premium Matte profile on Photo Paper Pro Premium Matte paper.

Aside from the surface difference, the Luster/Luster and PPPPM/PPPPM prints looked the same.

Both the PPPPM media selection and the HR media selection on the matte paper printed visually the same but had less contrast and a slight muddy look compared to the Luster/Luster and PPPPM/PPPPM prints.

How did you scan the downloaded test image? I am missing that step.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I have an epson perfection 1240U flatbed scanner.  Used that.  The scanned image on the monitor looked exactly like the printed image in my hand.

scanner set as color photo scan, 300dpi

icc profile I used was for the HR-101N, which you had suggested in earlier post

An unrelated question to the topic we've been discussing.  I've read, I think somewhwere in this forum, that the grey colors are used only when printing black and white images.  If so, does one have to make any changes to printer settings either in driver or program used to do the printing? Again I would typically be using PS or LR.

Its my understanding that the gray inks are only used when selecting Fine Art paper types.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks

Announcements